Round 1 Discussion (non Canucks)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Round 1 Discussion (non Canucks)

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

herb wrote:Well, colour me optimistic,
Colours can fade though... like my optimism for this teams near future.

Colour can also run... like donny did this season. :mrgreen:
2011..... the one that got away.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote: You can always hope right?

I mean sheee-it, the Saints won a Gawd damned Super Bowl did they not?!

Hence.

Anything can happen.
That's only because they were cheating!

:D

That and they have one of, if not the, best QBs in the league (one of the best ever) and undoubtedly one of the best leaders in pro sports (Mr. Brees). The Canucks have neither the best player in the league, nor the best leader.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

herb wrote:
That and they have one of, if not the, best QBs in the league (one of the best ever) and undoubtedly one of the best leaders in pro sports (Mr. Brees). The Canucks have neither the best player in the league, nor the best leader.
Well that yes.

Plus they were willing to maim and snap knees to win.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: Colour can also run... like donny did this season. :mrgreen:
lol.

True dat.

Still running.....
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: Colours can fade though... like my optimism for this teams near future.
*Sigh*, yes they can. I've gone from absolutely certain the Hank/Dank/Kes/Luongo led Canucks will win this organizaiton's first championship (circa 2009ish) to hopeful they will be able to become a "contender" again.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Tortorella scratches Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards for tonights game :lol:

Gee, I wonder why they suck
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Oh man Torts is so not the coach for the Canucks
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Tortorella scratches Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards for tonights game :lol:

Gee, I wonder why they suck
At least Richards is only signed for 7 more seasons.

I haven't watched the Rangers second round series, but I did notice he was playing Richards on the fourth line earlier on in the playoffs. I fail to understand how making your first line centre a healthy scratch is a good move. I guess he's sending a really strong message there.

No thanks to Tortorella on the Canucks. I'm perfectly content watching his sideshow antics from afar.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...word out of New York (confirmed by Ferraro) is that this has nothing to do with Torts and everything to do with Richards.

Not the most graceful skater at the best of times he is apparently skating in sand, can't keep up and is of little to no use out there.

This has been going on all season other than for a brief respite towards years end.

Rumor has it Brad did nothing to prepare himself for this season and this, combined with a theoretical "lost step", results in what we see today.

To bad Aquilini couldn't talk Nonis into the Richards for Edler and Kesler deal back in the day eh?
Last edited by donlever on Thu May 23, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeLevering since 1999.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Meh. I'm not sure he is sitting his 1st line center. He is sitting his 4th line center as the reason Richards was on the 4th line is quite simply because 3 guys have been better than him in the playoffs and much of the season....much better. Richards has been absolute crap this playoffs and has played himself out of the lineup. And really barring a couple weeks near the end of the season he was bad all year. They gave him a chance through 48 games to establish himself as the player he was but he has been unable to. There is a reason that a primary piece coming back in the Gaborik trade was a young center.

Of course it make Richards untradeable and ripe for a buy out.

I wonder if this is just a rapid decline we see sometimes or if a summer of hard work can get him back to where he needs to be. I'm reminded, I think, of Gilmour who while certainly older had a pretty sudden drop off in effectiveness. It was night and day from one season to the next. Maybe it wasn't Gilmour...I don;t know.

hmmm....apparently Don, Ferraro and I think along the same lines on this one.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:To bad Aquilini couldn't talk Nonis into the Richards for Edler and Kesler deal back in the day eh?
By far the best trade this team never made.

That we know of anyways...

But Scrivens and two 2nds has to rank up there too.

Along with whatever the Ranger/Bure trade was rumoured to be. I think Cloutier and Malhotra were involved...
2011..... the one that got away.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ Interesting info on Richards. I think I only watched parts of one NYR game all year.

Funny how some guys can fade into the distance with a gradual decline and still be effective NHL players near the age of 40(Selanne, Sakic, Lidstrom, Brodeur, Alfredson) and other just cannot compete once they are past their prime (our own Naslund & Bertuzzi).

Healthy and conditioning obviously play a huge role. I can't remember who, but I remember hearing an interview recently with a late 30's pro athlete talking about how he has never been in better shape in his life. Said when he was in his early 20's he barely worked out, but now he needs to bust his balls to stay in absolute peak shape in order to stay competitive.

Here's hoping the Sedins are more in the Selanne and Sakic category and can remain competitive for a while yet.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Hawks are imploding. Presidents Trophy! WoooHooo!

Looks like the Hawks might be in the market for a goaltender. That is some bad netminding they are getting.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Seems like home ice advantage means fcuk all in the playoffs now, maybe just having a good team is all you need. :shock:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

shit Hawks with the lead. :eh:

Lets tie it up Wings!!!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.