Which Free Agents Should Gillis Shoot For

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Which Free Agents Should Gillis Shoot For

Post by 2Fingers »

Skyo - we must be watching different teams, for the past 3 years Elder has not moved forward in his development to what we expected of him. He constantly looks like he is scared of the puck when he gets it in his own end.

He needs a change of scenery and we get something back in return, this can be an addition but subtraction type of trade.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Be it as it may, Edler's attributes far outweigh his negatives, he's not as prolific scoring as Karlsson or Letang, but he is our most consistent ppg dman during the regular season and more importantly in the post season.

When healthy he can even throw some walloping checks!

AE may throw some bad drop passes here and there, plus be out of position sometimes, but really he is if not more dependent and reliable than Casual Kev is. It's really too bad he has a full NTC!

But with Tanev and possibly Corrado ready for full time duty, what we get from Edler would be exactly what the Canucks ordered for our top 6 offense.

And we still have Booth/Burrows/Luongo to deal for possibly getting a affordable right or left side dman.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I don't think Edler needs a change of scenary. He needs a stabilizing partner. Unfortunately, he's unlikely to get that because Hamhuis, Garrison, and Bieksa are unlikly to be moved and Edler doesn't work well with any one of those guys, although I think that Garrison can play with Edler if he's forced to. It's really a shame that the team's best defensemen are left side defensemen and Edler is so picky with his partners.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

FAN wrote:It's really a shame that the team's best defensemen are left side defensemen and Edler is so picky with his partners.
That should be a reason for him to be expendable.

I agree that he hasn't played his way off the team to where Gillis needs to get rid of him, but he's the most valuable player that Gillis can trade without negotiating around NTCs. Trading Edler would be dealing from a position of strength outside of the goalie position.

Interesting to note that Louie Eriksson has been working well with the Twins at the WC, and Botch's column comments on the marvelling of the TV commentators about him and the twins. Apparently, Dallas is shopping him. If Gillis wants him, does that make Burrows or Higgins expendable?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:Interesting to note that Louie Eriksson has been working well with the Twins at the WC, and Botch's column comments on the marvelling of the TV commentators about him and the twins. Apparently, Dallas is shopping him. If Gillis wants him, does that make Burrows or Higgins expendable?
Seems like Dallas needs a center, Philly needs a Dman, so 3 way deal?

Eriksson to Van.

Edler to Philly.

(center) to Dallas.

Which would make Burrows expendable.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:Which would make Burrows expendable.
Unless it comes down to a cap crunch, I don't see Burrows going. He brings too much and trading him off could disillusion the dressing room. Trade Burrows and you may as well start trading off more of the core and decide which of the couple left you want to keep. Higgins is the more likely of the expendables in the event that Eriksson comes.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Maybe because I am just too old or something but enough of this shit.

This team needs a major change, not a rebuild, just some core people gone and some new players in.

Seen enough of Edler for 3 season to think that leopard will change its spots. What we have seen over the past few years is the best this guy will give to the team. I don't want another 40 years without the cup so screw the players do what ever is best for the team. That is all I care for anymore. I want the Vancouver Canucks to win the cup, fuck the players.

Living in the past was OK 10 years ago. No more for me.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Lancer wrote:
FAN wrote:It's really a shame that the team's best defensemen are left side defensemen and Edler is so picky with his partners.
That should be a reason for him to be expendable.

I agree that he hasn't played his way off the team to where Gillis needs to get rid of him, but he's the most valuable player that Gillis can trade without negotiating around NTCs. Trading Edler would be dealing from a position of strength outside of the goalie position.

Interesting to note that Louie Eriksson has been working well with the Twins at the WC, and Botch's column comments on the marvelling of the TV commentators about him and the twins. Apparently, Dallas is shopping him. If Gillis wants him, does that make Burrows or Higgins expendable?
Some really nice interaction between the twins and Loui against Finland.
1-0 bouncing in off Loui's leg, and 2-0 is a beauty with Hank in Gretzky's kitchen finding Loui in front who one times it in.

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote:
Lancer wrote:Interesting to note that Louie Eriksson has been working well with the Twins at the WC, and Botch's column comments on the marvelling of the TV commentators about him and the twins. Apparently, Dallas is shopping him. If Gillis wants him, does that make Burrows or Higgins expendable?
Seems like Dallas needs a center, Philly needs a Dman, so 3 way deal?

Eriksson to Van.

Edler to Philly.

(center) to Dallas.

Which would make Burrows expendable.
I would hope Edler brings back more than Eriksson...he is one of the higher scoring D-men in the league.

I cant see him going anywhere to be honest unless it's with Edler in on the trade. Signing guys to NTC contracts then moving them before they kick in is a slimy thing to do and will reflect on a teams abilities to attract UFAs down the road.

I'd say Bieksa moving would be more in line with how Gillis rolls. Have him make a list and work with the player rather than against him
If you need air...call it in
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I agree, I don't see Gillis moving Edler, Burrows or anyone he's recently extended a contract too, particularly one that contains a NTC.

But Gillman might.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

HE'LL NO! To Louie Eriksson. We don't need another soft Swedish forward. If Eiriksson wants too play with Hank and Danny then he should convince Dallas to offer us Jamie Benn, a 1st, and a 2nd, for the Twins.....and convince the Sedins to waive.

Then pull the trigger on AV.

Follow that up with dealing Lou for whatever he can get, Schneider for a Kings ransom, and then sign Mike Smith. (I think that was Tant's or AP18's idea).

Trade Edler for a good prospect or pick and some stay home, defense first, help. Or a good right shooting top 4 guy and demote Corrado to the 7th.

Deal whatever needs to be dealt to get into the top 5. Hopefully high enough to draft McKinnon.

Sign a 2nd line center and promote Kesler.

Find a top 6 winger who can complement Benn and Kes.

Drop Lapierre, Ebbett, and a few others, trade Higgins for someone with a bit more speed and desire to play every night.

Consider trading Schroeder for a solid 3rd line center who isn't 5 foot nothing. If Schroeder fits the gameplan, slot him in and have a 3rd scoring line with Hansen on the wing to bolster the forecheck.

Find a solid 4th line center, one that you over pay by as much as a million because he can hit, check, and skate, and because the 4th line is that important in the playoffs.

Replace Sestito with someone quicker and meaner. I'd go after Raffi.

Benn-Kesler-_______
Burrows-______-Kassian
______-Schroeder?-Hansen
______-______-Weise

Garrison-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
______-Corrado

Smith
Lack

C'mon Louie, make it happen for us!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I want to be on record that MG does didly squat again this summer.

Or maybe he signs another L d-man.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reefer2 wrote:I want to be on record that MG does didly squat again this summer.

Or maybe he signs another L d-man.
This is the kind of post that bunches up the panties worn by Blob, ukcanuck, Tantalum and Mëds. Don't be talking trash when it comes to their boi Gillis!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: I would hope Edler brings back more than Eriksson...he is one of the higher scoring D-men in the league.

I cant see him going anywhere to be honest unless it's with Edler in on the trade. Signing guys to NTC contracts then moving them before they kick in is a slimy thing to do and will reflect on a teams abilities to attract UFAs down the road.

I'd say Bieksa moving would be more in line with how Gillis rolls. Have him make a list and work with the player rather than against him
I like the floated idea of Bobby Ryan though OR a couple of the forwards in Philly for AE and or RL.

Edler and Burrows are still tradeable, and I think with the team on a downward spiral, those players who don't have a NTC kicked in yet, should be aware they could be dealt to get this team out of it's two year playoff funk.

Juice already has a full NTC so he's locked up for good, MG is already breaking his rules with trading a player he signed with a NTC in Luongo, can't see MG breaking his own rule twice unless forced to.

And no way in hell Benn's getting moved there Mëds.

Probably have a better shot at E Kane.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

When it comes to dealing players before their NTCs kick in, it all comes down to how Gillis sells it. Tons of potential for the move to blow up in his face and lose the confidence of the players. I think, though, he just has to be honest with them and say no one should be satisfied with what happened since 2011, that the team needs changes and some of the core will have to accept that they may be part of the changes.

You have to argue that the NTCs were offered at a time when the team showed promise that it could pull out of its post-SCF funk. Nobody can argue that that is the case now, and the onus is on the players as much as it is on the coaching staff. There's also the point to be made about the lowering salary cap and the rstraints that puts on the organization while it's still trying to win.

Gillis doesn't have to be a dick about it, and nothing says that he wouldn't trade these guys without being honest and fair about it. It may still go sour on him in terms of discontent in the room, but if everybody's honest with themselves they have to realize that significant change has to happen, no matter if they have a NTC or not.

We'll see if/how he pulls it off.

Hate the League.