Booth or Ballard? Who Would You Keep With A New Coach?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Booth or Ballard? Who Would You Keep With A New Coach?

Post by vic »

Depends on who the new coach is and what type of system he wants the team to play.

A lot of people are blaming Gillis for acquiring Booth and Ballard. Yeah, they haven't really worked out so far in Vancouver but I lay the blame on the coach for their shortcomings.

Seems as though ever time either of those players made a mistake they were benched for the rest of the game, and in Ballard's case scratched for the next few. When they got back on the ice, they were so afraid of making a mistake and getting benched again, they forgot how to play hockey and tried to do a job they weren't good at.

AV too many times tried to get players to play his system 100% rather than make adjustments to his system to properly use the assets he had on his roster.

The goaltending situation also is up in the air - Does Luongo want out of Vancouver because he doesn't want to play for the city/team anymore or does he want out because he's not the designated #1? If a new coach comes in and thinks he has a better shot of winning with Lou between the pipes and Gillis trades Schneider does that make Lou want to stay?

I'm not blaming Luongo - he knows that the team needs to move a goalie and the current coaching staff has made it clear they want to move forward with Schneider which means he (Lou) will be the one moved. The media has made it seem like he wants out of Vancouver when I think he just wants to be a #1 whether that be in Vancouver or anywhere else.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:I had a friend pitch this idea to me...

Booth Sedin Kassian/Jensen
Sedin Kesler Burrows
Higgins Schroeder Hansen/Jensen
Beast Beast Kassian/Hansen

Spread out the Twin's passing ability and re-unite them on the PP.

Given the above, I'd keep Booth. Ballard has no confidence left.
Once AV is gone, Ballard will regain his confidence.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote:
Mondi wrote:I had a friend pitch this idea to me...

Booth Sedin Kassian/Jensen
Sedin Kesler Burrows
Higgins Schroeder Hansen/Jensen
Beast Beast Kassian/Hansen

Spread out the Twin's passing ability and re-unite them on the PP.

Given the above, I'd keep Booth. Ballard has no confidence left.
+1
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

RoyalDude wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:I pick Booth cause he's coming back next year in beast mode.
@D_Booth7
A very frustrating and disappointing year. I owe it to God, my family and the fans to come back next year in #beastmode
What if he doesn't pay his debt with God, does God foreclose on him?
You are thinking of an exorcist. You don't pay them basterds, and they re-possess you.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Get a new coach first, and honestly, ask his opinion. If he will let Ballard rush the puck, keep Ballard. If he thinks Booth will stay healthy, and we move to a more crash n bang style, keep Booth.

If I had to pick one to buy out, it would be Ballard, simply because Booth is injured a lot, and we still get cap relief for him.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Jovocop wrote:
THIS

Ballard is our best rushing defensemen with a very mean hip check.

I also put complete and total blame on Ballard's misuse on AV. AV had almost 3 years to try to figure out how to use Ballard and failed miserably. Ballard's not perfect but neither is Casual Kev, and for that matter, Alex "lost in the woods" Edler.

The only problem with Ballard is his contract. Other than, I'd definitely be in favour of keeping him over David Booth. Booth seems to me like a very one dimensional player. He seems to only know how to play the game one way and that's to use his strength. And its this one dimensional playing style that ends up getting him injured. (This is sort of the same type of playing style that people criticize Kesler for.)
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

mathonwy wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
THIS

Ballard is our best rushing defensemen with a very mean hip check.

I also put complete and total blame on Ballard's misuse on AV. AV had almost 3 years to try to figure out how to use Ballard and failed miserably. Ballard's not perfect but neither is Casual Kev, and for that matter, Alex "lost in the woods" Edler.

The only problem with Ballard is his contract. Other than, I'd definitely be in favour of keeping him over David Booth. Booth seems to me like a very one dimensional player. He seems to only know how to play the game one way and that's to use his strength. And its this one dimensional playing style that ends up getting him injured. (This is sort of the same type of playing style that people criticize Kesler for.)
I agree with most of what you said, but I don't put complete and total blame on AV. It is Gillis' job to supply AV with players that fit into the team's style of play and system, it is the coach's job to get the most out of his players, and it is the player's job to contribute the way his coach wants him to contribute. In that sense, I think Gillis shares part of the blame, AV should take on most of the blame, and Ballard should take on some of the blame. From my point of view, Ballard has become a much steadier defenseman the last two years and I refuse to believe that Ballard is that bad that a coach would start Cam Barker ahead of him. That's utter stupidity. But ya the problem is Ballard's contract. Can the team afford to have Ballard and Tanev as the 3rd pairing? Is it desirable to do so?

As for Booth, he is definitely a one dimensional player, but it's a dimension that the Canucks lack and a dimension that doesn't require a linemate feeding him pucks. With Raymond expected to be gone, there will be one less guy who likes to spray pucks on net and on this team having a guy who looks to get a shot off every time he has the puck is not a bad thing.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I am not a big fan of neither Ballard nor Booth. Based on their performance and what they bring to the team, I probably wouldn't mind them if they made like $1.5M each, but they're making like 3X that. I would probably keep Booth over Ballard though. I think when we first got Booth, he was on pace for about a 20g season based on a 80 game schedule. He's also a bit of a power forward and we could really use some gritty guys up front that can help out in scoring. I wouldn't mind giving him 1 more year to see what he can do and see if he can stay healty, but I wouldn't mind moving him too if we can get a diff't player like Torres. We have had Ballard for like 3 years now and he has always been like a 6th-8th D-man, so he doesn't really seem to fit with our coach/system.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I am not a big fan of neither Ballard nor Booth. Based on their performance and what they bring to the team, I probably wouldn't mind them if they made like $1.5M each, but they're making like 3X that. I would probably keep Booth over Ballard though. I think when we first got Booth, he was on pace for about a 20g season based on a 80 game schedule. He's also a bit of a power forward and we could really use some gritty guys up front that can help out in scoring. I wouldn't mind giving him 1 more year to see what he can do and see if he can stay healty, but I wouldn't mind moving him too if we can get a diff't player like Torres. We have had Ballard for like 3 years now and he has always been like a 6th-8th D-man, so he doesn't really seem to fit with our coach/system.
That is the key. Once AV is gone, Ballard will be fine.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Jovocop wrote: That is the key. Once AV is gone, Ballard will be fine.
Yeah, maybe. Or maybe he's simply sucks and is not as good as we think.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Ya. Ballard has lost a lot of confidence and AV turned him into a guy who was afraid to make mistakes and do things with the puck. Some team is going to give Ballard top 4 minutes and set him free. He's always going to be a flawed defender but if he can rediscover his attacking style he's going to make some team happy.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Jovocop wrote: That is the key. Once AV is gone, Ballard will be fine.
The problem is he won't be near as good as Hamhuis, Garrison, Tanev, Edler or even Bieksa (as much as Bieksa flounders when his partner isn't Mitchell of Hamhuis he is still much better than Ballard). So yes Ballard may be fine but he won't be fine on the canucks 'cause he'll be gone.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ballard and Booth with Flip The Switch with a new coach.... :rofl:

You guys stop! I can't stop laughing :rofl:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Ballard and Booth with Flip The Switch with a new coach.... :rofl:

You guys stop! I can't stop laughing :rofl:
Snore.

Someone wake me when this guy has something new, or better yet, intelligent, to contribute.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Mëds wrote: Someone wake me when this guy has something new, or better yet, intelligent, to contribute.

that hope may have ended when the 5th goal went by Reimer....