Spent some time today listening to Toronto talk media. Interesting climate there. It seems that most agree on a few things:
1) Reimer has not proven he is playoff ready
2) Reimer has not played well enough
3) Reimer has let in some pretty bad goals on a consistent basis
4) The team would be stronger in net with a proven number one.
Where they disagree and it seems pretty split is whether Luongo is that guy. The debate has begun as to whether Nonis missed the boat in not getting the Luongo deal done and some now openly saying with Luongo in net they would be able to beat the Bruins (they obviously didn't watch our series against the Bruins
Then those on the other side. Most of whom seem to reluctantly admit Luongo would be a good addition but their reasons for not wanting to get him are strange.
1) Biggest reason is they don't want to do anything to help Vancouver out of their cap hell mess. Let Vancouver clean up their own mess
2) Don't want to spent 5 million on a goalie because you don't need to spend that much to be successful. Want to spend the money on fixing other problems even though they don't have cap hell approaching.
But the debate is getting interesting now that they are likely to get knocked out in the next game or two. Shannon was asked if he were running the Leaves if he would trade Luongo straight up for Diana. He said in a heartbeat. Someone asked him why he would want to do Vancouver such a big favour. He responded trading Diana to the Canucks is not doing them a favour. I LOL at that one.
Anyway it seems the Toronto media is staring to now critique the no trade by Nonis and he is starting to take some heat. Some however have said he had to find out what he had in Reimer and now he knows. Reimer needs to be a back up the story goes and learn from one of the best in the world. I don't think Reimer would make a good back up. He needs to play a lot and if memory serves me well I think he plays pretty poorly after being off for a while. But I love now how the debate is starting.
Diana is also taking a lot of heat for his bonehead plays at the wrong time in games, something we saw a lot of in Calgary. Some are now clamouring for him to be traded so the Leaves can get a decent return and cap reduction.
I love how they make the playoffs and the fans develop these unreasonable expectations them implode when they fail to beat Boston.