How about this then....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: How about this then....

Post by Canuck-One »

I see we have some Brian Burke fans here. He too didn't think we needed an elite goalie. He didn't think he needed one in TO either. What is he doing these days? I would love to keep Luo but he wants out. He wants to be in the East and as close to Florida as possible. If he said he would be happy to stay, then yes trade Schneider but that's simply not the way it is. Personally I'd like to get Mattias from Florida for Luo. I don't know if that's possible but what a 3rd line C he makes.

Whoever said trade the Sedins is nuts. They have, all by themselves, brought us to the top of the heap year in and year out. Only once did Kesler manage to help. We desperately need 2nd line scoring to help them. If we could bring in an offensive C and surround him with actual scoring wingers then the cup would be ours. Kesler is no longer the 41 goal guy he was nor is he the beast we seen in one game during the series. His style of play has taken it's toll and he is playing hurt more than he is playing healthy. I would see what is out there for him before the injuries pile up so high that he is forced into early retirement. Philly wanted him so let's see what they might offer.

Edler hasn't been the same since he injured his back and he appears hesitant with the puck which leads to sloppy and hurried passes. This leads to a loss of puck possession in our own end and bam we are down by a goal. How about offering Bieksa and Edler plus our 1st for Weber. A lot yeah but he is worth it.

On the UFA front I still like Wiese as a 2nd C as he is a good offensive player. If Kesler could return a couple of young wingers out of Philly hey that might be just the tonic we need.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:
donlever wrote: Smith is intriguing, especially considering the puck moving ability which is pro-active thinking on your part.

But in this fantasy scenario to pricey prolly eh?
I was watching the Canada/Czech game today and I love that head manning of the puck you get from Smith.

I thought of a way we can possibly pull this off.

Move Luo at the draft > trade Raymond's rights for Smiths > sign Smith to a 5 year $25M deal > move Schneids to the highest bidder!! > Win Cup

If we can pull that off before July 1st teams will line up for a shot at Schneider. Could be a huge return.

All of this depends on a lot of IF's but it would sure be fun to watch it unfold.
I actually love this idea. It would be an incredible set of moves to watch.

Down side is that Smith is going to be looking for at least $5.5M...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Canuck-One wrote:I see we have some Brian Burke fans here. He too didn't think we needed an elite goalie. He didn't think he needed one in TO either. What is he doing these days? I would love to keep Luo but he wants out. He wants to be in the East and as close to Florida as possible. If he said he would be happy to stay, then yes trade Schneider but that's simply not the way it is. Personally I'd like to get Mattias from Florida for Luo. I don't know if that's possible but what a 3rd line C he makes.

Whoever said trade the Sedins is nuts. They have, all by themselves, brought us to the top of the heap year in and year out. Only once did Kesler manage to help. We desperately need 2nd line scoring to help them. If we could bring in an offensive C and surround him with actual scoring wingers then the cup would be ours. Kesler is no longer the 41 goal guy he was nor is he the beast we seen in one game during the series. His style of play has taken it's toll and he is playing hurt more than he is playing healthy. I would see what is out there for him before the injuries pile up so high that he is forced into early retirement. Philly wanted him so let's see what they might offer.

Edler hasn't been the same since he injured his back and he appears hesitant with the puck which leads to sloppy and hurried passes. This leads to a loss of puck possession in our own end and bam we are down by a goal. How about offering Bieksa and Edler plus our 1st for Weber. A lot yeah but he is worth it.

On the UFA front I still like Wiese as a 2nd C as he is a good offensive player. If Kesler could return a couple of young wingers out of Philly hey that might be just the tonic we need.
Kesler played one season through injury, and now has played a half season with another injury. He's hardly washed up and will probably return to form if he doesn't suffer another injury like he did with his foot. Kesler's problem is that he's too much of a one man show.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I don't think he's washed-up either, but I don't think the Canucks can rely on him to provide a huge amount of offense anymore. He's still very valuable as the excellent defensive forward that he is, but perhaps if some team wants to give up the moon for him...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

donlever wrote:Trade Luongo AND Schneider.
Hmmm.. definitely worth thinking about. If Gillis can't get any players for Lou by training camp, he has to seriously consider giving up Lou for next to nothing in a pure salary dump. If Gillis fields offers for Schneids, he should get a couple of really good players/prospects in return; as Grapes said a "small fortune". But then again, if we move Schneids, we technically can keep Lou. If we can't get anything for him, maybe it's best to keep him. If we're going to have to pay him anyways, he might as well play for us. I wouldn't mind bringing up Eddie Lack (let Lou mentor him just as he did Schneids) and let him be the backup for a few years, then hopefully we'll have the same goaltending controversy again. :P With a few years eaten off Lou's contract, it'll probably be easier to trade him or buy him out.

I noticed that around the draft and free agency, alot of teams need to get to the floor (ie - the minimum payroll amount each team has to spend on players), so they offer some crazy contracts to older players like jovo. If the Nucks want to move Lou, Booth or Ballard, that maybe the best time to do it.