So where to we go from here?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: So where to we go from here?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: So all your ranting about Gillis has been laughed at for a reason.
No, your just a little slow, no fault of your own, it's genetics. A gentle reminder, the Canucks have been ousted from the first round of the playoffs two years in a row. You can jerk off all over their Presidents Cups and other achievements from yesteryear all you like, me I could give two shits what happened a long time ago. I seem to be affected by two embarrassing first round knockouts over the last two season and you NOT. Maybe I'm a 'What Have You Done For Me Lately kind of guy and you are a little more nostalgic for the golden years and go see no monkey, hear no monkey with the current.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Mëds wrote: So all your ranting about Gillis has been laughed at for a reason.
No, your just a little slow, no fault of your own, it's genetics. A gentle reminder, the Canucks have been ousted from the first round of the playoffs two years in a row. You can jerk off all over their Presidents Cups and other achievements from yesteryear all you like, me I could give two shits what happened a long time ago. I seem to be affected by two embarrassing first round knockouts over the last two season and you NOT. Maybe I'm a 'What Have You Done For Me Lately kind of guy and you are a little more nostalgic for the golden years and go see no monkey, hear no monkey with the current.
I like how you take the point a person makes and then turn around and argue essentially the same point all while telling them they were wrong.

The Hart, Selke, and Art Ross trophies, are all within the last 4 seasons. The 2 President's the last 3. I think it's quite the accomplishment to finish first overall in an 82 game season. Most people would agree. Is it the same as a Stanley Cup? No. But say what you will, the team was competitive up until the second half of last season. It was downhill from there. Both on the bench and behind the bench. They proved against the Kings that there was no "switch", they then got swept by San Jose. And time for change.

If you recall, which I'm sure you will deny with some sort of pot shot, I have been calling for change on this team for a LONG time. Most notably in the form of a new coach after losing to the Bruins. That being said, only a retard says blow up the team or fire the GM after steadily improving every season since he took over, and in 3 seasons making it to the Finals. Some people will react that way initially, but a dose of rational thought generally corrects that. But just because I can recognize the success that Gillis' Canucks have had in the last 5 years, doesn't mean I don't recognize the failures.

But since you are completely hung up on the lack of a Cup, we'll compare to the rest of the NHL.....

Going back 20 years to 1993, 8 teams have not made an appearance in the Finals. 11 teams have made only 1 appearance. 8 teams have made 2 appearances. Only 2 teams have made 3 or more appearances (Detroit-6 and Jersey-5). In that time only 1 team lost and came back to the finals the following year, that was Pittsburgh. No team was the runner up in consecutive years. Most of them were several years between SCF appearances. The blow it up Flyers went to the Final and lost to Chicago, they made some big changes, and then they lost in 4 straight in the second round to the eventual Champs. The following year they lost in 5. Then they missed the playoffs completely. Is this the model you think we should follow? Sure sounds like it.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
I like how you take the point a person makes and then turn around and argue essentially the same point all while telling them they were wrong.

The Hart, Selke, and Art Ross trophies, are all within the last 4 seasons. The 2 President's the last 3. I think it's quite the accomplishment to finish first overall in an 82 game season. Most people would agree. Is it the same as a Stanley Cup? No. But say what you will, the team was competitive up until the second half of last season. It was downhill from there. Both on the bench and behind the bench. They proved against the Kings that there was no "switch", they then got swept by San Jose. And time for change.

If you recall, which I'm sure you will deny with some sort of pot shot, I have been calling for change on this team for a LONG time. Most notably in the form of a new coach after losing to the Bruins. That being said, only a retard says blow up the team or fire the GM after steadily improving every season since he took over, and in 3 seasons making it to the Finals. Some people will react that way initially, but a dose of rational thought generally corrects that. But just because I can recognize the success that Gillis' Canucks have had in the last 5 years, doesn't mean I don't recognize the failures.

But since you are completely hung up on the lack of a Cup, we'll compare to the rest of the NHL.....

Going back 20 years to 1993, 8 teams have not made an appearance in the Finals. 11 teams have made only 1 appearance. 8 teams have made 2 appearances. Only 2 teams have made 3 or more appearances (Detroit-6 and Jersey-5). In that time only 1 team lost and came back to the finals the following year, that was Pittsburgh. No team was the runner up in consecutive years. Most of them were several years between SCF appearances. The blow it up Flyers went to the Final and lost to Chicago, they made some big changes, and then they lost in 4 straight in the second round to the eventual Champs. The following year they lost in 5. Then they missed the playoffs completely. Is this the model you think we should follow? Sure sounds like it.
Drop the thesis, Hamster Whisperer

It's quite simple, we have gotten our asses whooped in the first round of the playoffs two years in a row. What more evidence do you need than that to realize that all is not well with your Vancouver Canucks. But hey, if you want to keep parking your brain in the past before these last two seasons, have at er, whatever floats your boat amigo.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

I'll give you 1 thing RD. You are very consistent, consistently boring.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Well, mean and nasty hasn't worked for two seasons in a row for StL, and the skill-first Wings have ousted the Ducks. I'm particularly happy about the latter. Let's hope the Canucks can refocus on the speed forecheck and correct the scoring woes and not succomb to this trend towards thuggish and defense-first/only.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Puck wrote:Well, mean and nasty hasn't worked for two seasons in a row for StL, and the skill-first Wings have ousted the Ducks. I'm particularly happy about the latter. Let's hope the Canucks can refocus on the speed forecheck and correct the scoring woes and not succomb to this trend towards thuggish and defense-first/only.
Agreed, the number one complaint for the past two seasons is why the fuck can't we score more!?!

Our goalies can only bail us out so many times, but they can't be expected to score goals either!

In any case if the Sedins actually had another line that can score consistently, this team probably would be advanced to the 2nd round.

But therein lies the problem, there is just no chemistry with any of the other lines besides the Sedin line.

There was flashes of brilliance with Higgins and Roy, then Kesler came back lol AV was like, uh oh wtf do I do, mish mash of juggling lines ensues.

And sadly there wasn't enough time to configure and figure out how to fit in Roy properly.

Anyways, safe to say with the cap going down and MG forever analyzing which way the league is "trending" to, Roy is probably gone.

Press the reset button whatever tf that means, and work around the Twins and Kesler.

RK plays best with a high scoring talented winger imo, so wipe the slate clean and find him one.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Puck wrote:Well, mean and nasty hasn't worked for two seasons in a row for StL, and the skill-first Wings have ousted the Ducks. I'm particularly happy about the latter. Let's hope the Canucks can refocus on the speed forecheck and correct the scoring woes and not succomb to this trend towards thuggish and defense-first/only.
Yeah but the mean and nasty Kings are the ones who have ousted teh Blues two years in a row (the difference in the teams is that the overall skill level of the Kings is higher with those big guys). And really the Ducks are far from mean and nasty. They have Perry who is cheap but Ryan and Getzlaf are often pussy cats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

tantalum wrote: Yeah but the mean and nasty Kings are the ones who have ousted teh Blues two years in a row (the difference in the teams is that the overall skill level of the Kings is higher with those big guys). And really the Ducks are far from mean and nasty. They have Perry who is cheap but Ryan and Getzlaf are often pussy cats.
I'd say the point remains the same,
if you are not scoring it doesn't matter how big you are. lolr
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

SKYO wrote: I'd say the point remains the same,
if you are not scoring it doesn't matter how big you are. lolr
Certainly. The Kings use the mean and nasty edge to supplement their skill and they do have top notch skill. Including in their mean and nasty hard hitting guys.

The Blues never had that top notch skill. I mean I like Steen and Backes and even Perron but they aren't Kopitar, Richards and Brown. They just aren't.

I think Hitchcock had a comment to the effect of "my message to the guys was the effort just wasn't good enough". Sorry Hitch but effort isn't the Blues issue right now. It takes talent to translate that effort to goals. You'd have a hell of a team if you took the Blues and added the Sedins for instance. Bump down guys like Oshie, Steen a notch in the lineup and all of a sudden that team is very very dangerous. The canucks have the opposite problem in that they don't have guys like Oshie, Steen, and Perron after the big three. (canucks of course also don't have a Pietrangelo). So really two unbalanced teams that got bounced early....just unbalanced in different ways.