A little Gossip Before I fly Away

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

A little Gossip Before I fly Away

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm off tomorrow on my avoid the playoffs trip. So I had a chat with a friend about anything he may have heard.

A little too early to get anything good but he did tell me that MG did indeed have a deal worked out in the summer for Luongo that he liked. The deal was worked out just before the lockout. Once the CBA expired the other team put it on hold wanting to wait until the new CBA was done. Luongo was advised but not officially asked to waive as the deal was put on hold. MG and Luongo both thought as soon as the new CBA was done the deal would be consummated. But the other team balked. They lowered their offer and seemed less interested than they were before the lockout. At this point I don't know who the team was.

The other interesting thing I have heard is that the scuttle butt is that if the NYR lose in round one Torts will be history and he is number one on MG's list to replace AV, should AV not be kept around. I find this hard to believe because of the personality issues involved but its what I hear.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: A little Gossip Before I fly Away

Post by SKYO »

I'd say with the not so great goaltending down the stretch including the playoffs for a lot of the teams, some teams will buyout or let go of their "#1 goalie" and the market will luckily open up more than anyone, even the "hockey experts", perceived.

We will get a new coach asap! MG is just going to give it a bit of time to respect AV.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Have a great trip HW. Keep us up to date if u hear any scoops. :D
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Bon voyage!....you'll be hearing from my lawyer regarding the paternity test.... :towel:

Oh...and thanks for the little juicy morsels...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: The other interesting thing I have heard is that the scuttle butt is that if the NYR lose in round one Torts will be history and he is number one on MG's list to replace AV
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aquaman, please make it stop!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Please keep us posted HW.

Torts is a good coach. Maybe MG feels this team needs some fire in their belly. I will say that Torts doesn't land himself in hot water saying stupid things like AV would. But ya, can't really see Torts as a fit given the way Gillis likes his team to act in public.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Local media will be in for a rude awakening if Tortorella is at the helm.

How many times in the post game presser do you think we'll hear "well that's a pretty stupid question there Botch/Kuz/Willes/Skeletor/insert any 1040 personality here!"

Camp Torture-lla may be coming to Vancouver.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Aaronp18 wrote:Local media will be in for a rude awakening if Tortorella is at the helm.

How many times in the post game presser do you think we'll hear "well that's a pretty stupid question there Botch/Kuz/Willes/Skeletor/insert any 1040 personality here!"

Camp Torture-lla may be coming to Vancouver.
I almost want torts for that very reason

Skeletor, is gallon gagger working for 1040 as well as embarrassing himself for the province now too?
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Tortorella? Hmmm. Don't know about that. He's a colourful prsonality but I don't know much about him with regard to his relationship with players. Any idea what he's like with younger players? Will he develop them? Wonder how the veterans will mesh with him.

Of course, NYR will go through and he'll be unavailable. What's plan B?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

ukcanuck wrote: Skeletor, is gallon gagger working for 1040 as well as embarrassing himself for the province now too?
It's all one big circle jerk. Every Province reporter gets airtime on the Team 1040.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

This is from 2010 anonymous players poll. Personally I'd go with a players coach, not a dink. I think you get more out of players who want to play for you rather than guys who play because of the cattle prod.

Who's the smartest coach?
Players like Caps coach Bruce Boudreau and Pens Dan Bylsma (each received 16 percent). But they love the Wings' Mike Babcock (22 percent). When asked about the last coach they'd want to play for, Rangers coach John Tortorella took the dubious title (18 percent). "He's always yelling and calling out guys in the media," says one Western Conference wing.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I hear the name "Torts" and can't help but see a situation like what happened when Keenan came to town. His act is wearing thin on players the league over and I can only imagine what he might do to the psyches of some players in the room.

One name I saw in The Province's story on the subject of replacement coaches is Willie Desjardins. A bit off the map, but that testimonial by one of his former players from the Tigers and some of the other things I've read about him would be enough to recommend him for consideration.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...GMMG basically laid it out that his team is going to change to a tighter D minded group.

Thus the coach should have talents in that field.

Hire Larry Robinson.
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

It's been well documented that AV has taken a hands off approach to leading this current group. I can't help but wonder if a different approach is needed, and a more hands on coach who will take players to task is needed. It's clear this group has coasted on their laurels far too often, and was not able to get up for far too many games. A big part of that blame falls on the coaching staff.

Tortorella's obviously a good and successful coach, but I do think his schtick does get old pretty quick though.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Coaches names I've seen now:

John Tortorella (if he gets axed)
Guy Boucher
Lindy Ruff
Scott Arniel
Dallas Eakins
Mike Haviland?