So where to we go from here?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: So where to we go from here?

Post by rats19 »

personally, I have always liked the run n gun hockey..fast more scoring chances along with mistakes which opens it up and the other end which leads to more chances which lead to faster quicker fun to watch hockey.....*takes deep breath*

clutch and grab..dead puck era..hockey is barely watchable

but either way the reffing has to be fixed....for crying out loud its horribly disgusting..disfigured if you will
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

What ever happened to the "Competition Committee?"

Wasn't that the name of the group of players/executives that formed a group to review the status of NHL hockey and the rules?

Y'know so that we didn't head back towards the clutch and grab dead puck era.

:scowl:
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Just came in from the backyard.. illegally burning trash including my Sedin sweater. NO MORE SWEDES please :)
F that was a horrible series to watch..
Call in Bobby Clarke.. Call in Iron Mike.. get rid of both Gillis and AV.. buyout the twins..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Not one of the other series this playoffs has shown the propensity yet to call the game the way our refs did. What were deemed penalties in our series are things that are not called in the others. Reffing is bad but after this series I have no doubt that there exists a bias against the Canucks by a some of officials. A change I would like to see is that when a back ref calls a penalty they must discuss it with the ref who had the better angle to confirm it. It would slow the game down initially but it may make the refs more accountable to each other.

I would also like a committee not controlled by the NHL to hold ref reviews at the end of each season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I hope that with whatever changes are made, the mindset on this team is changed from trying to set up the perfect, easy shot. Quit passing, fire the puck and charge the net. The other system isn't working and hasn't worked for a couple of years.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Once again HW you are right on target. I dont think it would delay the game that much. That call by Sutherland in overtime was assinine. Do they not look at any history between certain refs and certain teams. Sutherland should never ref another Canucks game or any games for that matter.I think he should be fired.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

okcanuck wrote:Once again HW you are right on target. I dont think it would delay the game that much. That call by Sutherland in overtime was assinine. Do they not look at any history between certain refs and certain teams. Sutherland should never ref another Canucks game or any games for that matter.I think he should be fired.
Or maybe we should take a good hard look at us and get rid of the personnel that have issues with certain refs. This is not a fight we can win.

Chop AV, Kesler, Burrows and Lapierre from the roster and go from there, gives us somewhat of a fresh start.....let them be someone else's problem, I'm tired of the whining (from players and fans).

Deal with it.

I'd rather have tough as nails forwards that let their play do the talking.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

mathonwy wrote:Not sure where to put this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 11848.html
Harsh, but hard to argue with.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Spock wrote:STEP ONE: FIRE ALAIN VIGNAULT
Yeah, even though I have always liked Vigneault's chutzpah and ability to laugh at circumstances (the Cooke whiff, Angry Bieksa, etc) - I agree that it is time for a change.
Spock wrote:STEP TWO: PICK A GOALIE - ANY GOALIE - AND TRADE THE OTHER
Agree - and it should be Luongo to go... perhaps Pittsburgh? Winnipeg? Philadelphia? Tampa? Florida? Even Edmonton?
Spock wrote:STEP THREE: STOCKPILE SOME YOUNG TALENT
Trading Edler would be bold - but weakens the team IMO... I'm not sure the Canucks are in full-on rebuild territory. But getting young talent should always be a priority - it is too bad that Luongo's contract and "stigma" has limited his effective worth... theoretically, he should have brought young players and draft picks.
Spock wrote:STEP FOUR: SIGN MORE A$$HOLES
Did you get together with Blob and Strangelove for this one? I'm not sure about "assholes" (aren't Sean Avery and Matt Cooke assholes? Don't want that type), but I agree about successful "crease-crashers".

Way back when, I wrote about Canucks v6.1 - basically criticizing filling 1/3 of your top six with the Sedins. They basically proved me wrong by winning Art Ross and President's Trophies, but really, I would rather root for a team of healthy Keslers than soft, non-hitting players.
Spock wrote:This Vulcan has been dealing with his wife's cancer, so hasn't been on much to post.
Sorry to hear that, and I hope that things go well in treatment and recovery.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Arachnid wrote:
Or maybe we should take a good hard look at us and get rid of the personnel that have issues with certain refs. This is not a fight we can win.

Chop AV, Kesler, Burrows and Lapierre from the roster and go from there, gives us somewhat of a fresh start.....let them be someone else's problem, I'm tired of the whining (from players and fans).

Deal with it.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Get rid of the three asswipes and the coach who encouraged Kesler and Burrows to play like that. Cant remember them acting up like that when Crawford was here, but then again he employed pricks like Ruutu and Cooke so...

Either way cleansing this team of Burrows and Kesler is the way to go. They have value and this fan for one has seen enough of their antics.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Deal with it.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Get rid of the three asswipes and the coach who encouraged Kesler and Burrows to play like that. Cant remeber them acting up like that when Crawford was here, but then again he employed pricks like Ruutu and Cooke so...

Either way cleansing this team of Burrows and Kesler is the way to go. They have value and this fan for one has seen enough of their antics.
I agree with this completely. Lappy, Kes and Burrows need to go. Tired of this team being hated by everyone all for the wrong reasons.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Deal with it.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Get rid of the three asswipes and the coach who encouraged Kesler and Burrows to play like that. Cant remeber them acting up like that when Crawford was here, but then again he employed pricks like Ruutu and Cooke so...

I agree with this completely. Lappy, Kes and Burrows need to go. Tired of this team being hated by everyone all for the wrong reasons.
Then again Cooke, went on to win a Cup acting like a fucktard :crazy:

I just want players like Jackman or Doan. Guys who are tough, work hard and never bitch.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Not one of the other series this playoffs has shown the propensity yet to call the game the way our refs did. What were deemed penalties in our series are things that are not called in the others. Reffing is bad but after this series I have no doubt that there exists a bias against the Canucks by a some of officials. A change I would like to see is that when a back ref calls a penalty they must discuss it with the ref who had the better angle to confirm it. It would slow the game down initially but it may make the refs more accountable to each other.

I would also like a committee not controlled by the NHL to hold ref reviews at the end of each season.
Or...

How about player safety and officiating not falling under a league mandate? How can the integrity of this game be taken seriously when it is guarded by a cabal of scheisters and money-grubbers who are headed by a man who will do anything to achieve his impossible vision of NBA on ice? Integrity and profit are like oil and water, and the fruits are seen every season. Integrity survives in the NHL despite the league, not because of it.

How about player safety (and, consequently suspensions) and officiating (including sanctions for incompetence/unprofessionalism by officials) falling under the mandate of the IIHF? Yes, there are differences in rules between the European leagues and the NHL, but the NHL can just supply the IIHF with their rulebook and leave it to the IIHF and its refs to interpret it. The IIHF has no stake in who wins and 'managing' games, and so can be at least seen as impartial.

It's either that or have them fall under the Ministry of Sport and have them fall under federal bureaucrats and politicians... still a better idea than the status quo but not by much.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Arachnid wrote:
okcanuck wrote:Once again HW you are right on target. I dont think it would delay the game that much. That call by Sutherland in overtime was assinine. Do they not look at any history between certain refs and certain teams. Sutherland should never ref another Canucks game or any games for that matter.I think he should be fired.

Deal with it.

Why should we bow to what is obviously a personal vendetta by a certain ref(Kelly Sutherland)?

I've been posting about this moron for years . He is a complete incompetent and has been his whole career. People here in Kelowna still talk about Sutherland when he was reffing in the WHL It was actually shocking when he ended up in the NHL, thats how bad he was.

I'm not saying we lost only because of the refs, but you must admit a lot of the calls in that series were very suspect, and listening to Buttmans interview explaining that the refs did their job properly made me almost puke. Its obvious to me that Buttman has no idea what hes talking about. Christ even the San Jose commentators were shocked that Sutherland made that call.

I've been following the NHL since the late fifties and I've never seen such poor reffing,and I'm not just talking about Canucks games . Its shocking how much it has regressed and it has the potential of bringing the credibility of the NHL to its lowest level ever.

No,HW has it right . There needs to an independent inquiry into the whole refereeing system in the NHL.