ODB wrote:Did anyone really expect Gillis to step up to the mic and lay it all out 48 hours after being eliminated? Fuck people, this is the real world. You wonna play, turn on your xbox. Bunch-o ten year old's here or what? What kind of well thought out game plan would you expect by 12:00 today? Changes will be made... good! Now let’s wait and see what happens.
Seconded. As I said earlier:
Gillis has a big job ahead of him, and I don't expect to hear a comprehensive plan one business day after the Canucks were pushed out of the playoff emergency exit. I do want to hear that this BS has to end, and he will make the necessary changes to put this team back on track.
This press conference was only the first step of many. Some highlights:
- "When you look at this season, it has been a terrible season for us"
- Team needs to get younger.
- Schneider and our D are in their prime (hinting at forward changes?).
- Luongo almost certainly will not be here in the fall.
- Gillis will present a plan to ownership next week, and then go from there.
- "Changes have to be made, and we're going to make them."
- Gillis wants to add to the core, change the look of the team to get bigger and younger (this is the hard part).
- Needs to develop guys at the NHL level.
- Hasn't spoken to Alain yet. He is a good coach, blah, etc.
- Not sure if Raymond has played his last game as a Canucks.
- Basically a "no comment" on buying out Ballard and Booth.
- He has tried trading draft picks, and signing offer sheets. Hasn't worked and he has to try something new now to make a "bold move".
- Traded a lot of draft picks because team was chasing a Cup. This needs to change.
- Schroeder likely needs surgery.
- Schneider's injury was a groin pull/strain.
- Bieksa did not want to discuss his injury. He could discuss it, but didn't want to.