Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Post by Tiger »

Canuck-One wrote:re you seriously that limited in your thinking that you critisize Boothe for being a Christian? What a tough life you must have when someone else's beliefs bother you that much. :crazy:
Do you really think its anything more than a "poke fun at RD post"? Thats sad..
Quick side story... I am in thailand and ass't coach for the top thai team.. Made up of westerners living here and a few Thais.
There is an IIHL Asian cup.. 12 countries competing.. Thai team is a favorite along with Taiwan and Mongolia.. We beat the Mongolian team in the Semi-finals and Dubai ( a Muslim team ) squeeks past Taiwan.. The thai team starts the celebration a day early.. and the Muslims ( yes they had their own prayer tent ) , Whipped the hungover thai team for the Cup.. Living in a country that is the most tolerant in the world ( Buddhist Thailand).. it came as no surprise that all the fans in the rink gave them a standing ovation and the captain of the thai team ( a buddhist/christian ) hugged the team captain from Dubai..

I am not a religious man but have never belittled a hockey player for his beliefs..
May the Force be with YOU :)
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

FAN wrote:Let's wait and see how Roy does in the playoffs before talking extension. In terms of regular season fit, I would hope that we get a chance to see Roy play a 3rd line center role and on the wing alongside Kesler. I think it will cost $4M-$4.5M to re-sign him here so if the team can trade Booth, I think Roy would be a better fit on this team given Raymond's UFA status, Kassian and Jensen coming up through the system, and Roy's versatility (basically ability to play center). But assuming we are going to gamble on Henrik and Kesler staying healthy, I really don't see how Roy fits in. Given the cap, the team is better off seeing if Schroeder can take the next step.
Bingobangobongo on all points, and maybe with a new coach and systems, players like Schroeder will be given a chance.

And to add to the more awesomeness this team is going through right now, KConn is thriving it seems in Texas.
However, there are often times where good players can be buried in bad teams. That certainly seems to be the case here, as Connauton has done nothing but impress since putting on the Texas sweater. In just nine games for Texas, he had 6 points (2-4-6) and was a plus-2. Not bad for someone coming into a brand new system.

During the playoffs, he was the pivotal guy throughout the first series. He was the power play quarterback much of the time, and helped to drive offensive chances. In fact, through the first four games of the playoffs, he currently leads the Texas Stars in scoring. Not just the defense, but the entire team. Chiasson, by comparison, "only" has two goals, while Connauton has two goals and two assists.

He certainly seems to be the offensive-minded defenseman that the Dallas Stars are looking for...

Looking back on the Derek Roy trade (especially after last night), the Stars have won on this deal hands down. Now Stars fans can be excited about the defenseman who will be up in Dallas next season, and that 2nd Round draft pick is nothing more than an added bonus. Make sure your check out the whole article, as there are a number of interesting things to learn about him. Given his age and his skill set, Stars fans can look forward to seeing him in a green(?!) sweater soon.
http://www.defendingbigd.com/dallas-sta ... aily-links
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

When Derek Roy was first traded to the Vancouver Canucks for a 2nd Round pick and a prospect, Stars fans were immediately excited -- about that 2nd Round pick. There were not many Stars fans who recognized who Kevin Connauton was. After all, he was on a below average AHL team, with 25 points and minus 12 through 60 games. At first, it didn't seem like there was much to be excited about.

However, there are often times where good players can be buried in bad teams. That certainly seems to be the case here, as Connauton has done nothing but impress since putting on the Texas sweater. In just nine games for Texas, he had 6 points (2-4-6) and was a plus-2. Not bad for someone coming into a brand new system.

During the playoffs, he was the pivotal guy throughout the first series. He was the power play quarterback much of the time, and helped to drive offensive chances. In fact, through the first four games of the playoffs, he currently leads the Texas Stars in scoring. Not just the defense, but the entire team
...plus a second rounder for a rental and a sweep.

I have to admit I didn't hate the deal at the time... but my hindsight is raging right now!!!
2011..... the one that got away.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
I have to admit I didn't hate the deal at the time... but my hindsight is raging right now!!!
Mine to...should have been a Red Wing fan.
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

donlever wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Mine to...should have been a Red Wing fan.
wildfaery=happy
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I have to admit I didn't hate the deal at the time... but my hindsight is raging right now!!!
Without him, Vancouver could have been an eighth seed.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I have to admit I didn't hate the deal at the time... but my hindsight is raging right now!!!
Without him, Vancouver could have been an eighth seed.
Now I'm even angrier.

Still would have got swept but had a way higher pick.
2011..... the one that got away.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Oops
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The deal was an excellent one. Sure we'd like to say that based on his lack of contribution that it wasn't good but I don't think anyone can really complain about it.

Roy certainly didn't earn himself that multi-year $5 mil deal he was looking for IMO. that said he'll likely get it from someone. i actually wouldn't be adverse to the canucks re-signing him if they have a coaching staff that wants to play that offense first game.

AV misused him I think. Tossed him around the lineup with multiple wingers. Put him on the wing. At center etc. Never had a chance to get comfortable.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I am just sad, it seems nothing the Canucks do lately works for them :cry:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

tantalum wrote:The deal was an excellent one. Sure we'd like to say that based on his lack of contribution that it wasn't good but I don't think anyone can really complain about it.

Roy certainly didn't earn himself that multi-year $5 mil deal he was looking for IMO. that said he'll likely get it from someone. i actually wouldn't be adverse to the canucks re-signing him if they have a coaching staff that wants to play that offense first game.

AV misused him I think. Tossed him around the lineup with multiple wingers. Put him on the wing. At center etc. Never had a chance to get comfortable.
The deal was an excellent one? Don't know how you can call the Roy rental an excellent deal, but hey that is just me.

So again, we are blaming the coaching staff on his poor play?

Why would it be smart signing Roy. You have a very similar player in Schroeder, who just needs a little more experience but is real close, same size but a helluva lot cheaper and Schroeder is definitely has the better wheels.

Let someone else waste $5 million on him. I don't get how Roy himself thinks he's worth that? 1 goal in 32 playoff games? 5 goals in the regular season this year?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
tantalum wrote:The deal was an excellent one. Sure we'd like to say that based on his lack of contribution that it wasn't good but I don't think anyone can really complain about it.

The deal was an excellent one? Don't know how you can call the Roy rental an excellent deal, but hey that is just me.

Why would it be smart signing Roy. You have a very similar player in Schroeder, who just needs a little more experience but is real close, same size but a helluva lot cheaper and Schroeder is definitely has the better wheels.

Let someone else waste $5 million on him. I don't get how Roy himself thinks he's worth that? 1 goal in 32 playoff games? 5 goals in the regular season this year?
I know I wouldn't give him that kind of contract.
and yeah Schroeder deserves a shot but don't we want size and attitude for a third centre?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

I know I wouldn't give him that kind of contract.
and yeah Schroeder deserves a shot but don't we want size and attitude for a third centre?
I think we have to get bigger, faster, younger, like Mike says. I'm just saying that Schroeder is a way better option than Roy.

The whole Roy trade is just another indication for me that Gillis does not have his finger on the pulse of this team. I'm not saying that Doug Wilson is a genius in San Jose, he's had his struggles but those 3 moves he made at the deadline are what I call "A GM who knows his team". I mean, he didn't even get players back for Murray or Clowe, just draft picks. Just getting those undisciplined slugs out of the line up did them nothing but good. They were way faster and way more disciplined than I am used to seeing the Sharks, and they loaded up on draft picks as well. Maybe a simple house cleaning like what Wilson did is all this team needs.

I know we needed another centre, but trading for a centre who is the same bloody size as fellow centre here Schroeder whom I bet would have shown a lot better than Roy did in the playoffs. Jordan is way faster plus when we are struggling to score especially in the playoffs, did Gillis even do his fucking homework regarding Roy's amazing playoff stats? 1 goal in 32 games? Shit, didn't the 4 goals he scored for Dallas this year prior to coming here not tell a GM something. The trade was a big waste of time and to me a true indication that Gillis has no idea where his team is at and I really worry about the future deals he is going to make cause with his track record I just don't see good things to come out of him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I understand why Gillis got Roy. It seemed like a sound decision considering the market. Can you imagine what the price would have been for the kind of centre they really needed? Roy was likely the best he could get without selling the farm.

Roy was a flop in Canuck colours. :bang:

Moving forward, let Roy get what he can get on the market and bid him adieu. We've seen what Roy brings, and I'd rather roll the dice to see if Schroeder can be any better in time.

Hopefully we'll see what Gaunce, Lain and others can bring to the table because if nothing else, they need size down the middle and they're the best they have in the system.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Let me explain....

it was a good deal because he was a center with a decent pedigree playing at a good level and they needed a center. The cost IMO isn't a big deal even for a rental. Stayed away from a first round pick and a second can be re-generated much easier.

I wasn't advocating signing him to $5 mil a year. I agree if he truly wants that (and he will get it) it won't be from the canucks. However, if it's for 4 or below one might consider it.

Personally, I take a look at how well Schroeder played down the stretch in the AHL (3G 11A for 14pts in 12 games), that you slot him in to the third line center position at this point in time (who knows what might get returned in deals that changes such a plan). He made strides this year. He performed reasonably well for a rookie in the NHL and when sent to the AHL it seemed the AHL game had slowed down for him. We forget sometimes he is only 22 years old. His performance this year I think puts him "back on track" in terms of development. That said I don't believe he will be much more than a third line center but you never know. Kesler at that age couldn't do anything offensively (yes yes different type of player of course).