Gills and Vigneault

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Gills and Vigneault

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:

MG goes out and gets Roy. AV doesn't seem to know where he wants to play him. He started great with Higgins and Hansen but when Kesler gets back the line juggling starts. AV does not know how to put players in a position to win. He sticks to tried and tried again line ups and does not show he knows how to integrate younger players into the line up. We have seen too many times players come over in trades get lost in our system. Why?
The Canucks are struggling to score so AV moved Roy with Kesler to try to create some scoring. Roy is in the top 5 of offensive talent on this team, I can see his point in trying to create a 2nd line with some scoring threat. You also have to factor in the line matching that's going on as well, the smallish Roy matching up with bigger centers, I think AV is trying to avoid that.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Your Mike Gillis Vancouver Canucks All Star Team

'Outside of draft picks

Sturm---Roy----Torres (who was subsequently let go)
Booth---Sundin (past his prime)---Higgins
Lapierre---Ebbett---Wellwood
Weise---Malhotra----Sestito
Zack Bernier
Steve Kassian

Hamhuis---Garrison
O'Brien---Ehrhoff (who he subsequently let go)
Ballard---Tanev
Barker
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun May 05, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

RoyalDude wrote:Your Mike Gillis Vancouver Canucks All Star Team

'Outside of draft picks

Bernier

Hamhuis---Garrison
Ballard---Tanev
Barker

do we get a pink ribbon for participating? Everyone gets a ribbon...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

the Dogsalmon wrote:

'Outside of draft picks

Bernier

Hamhuis---Garrison
Ballard---Tanev
Barker

You can have anything you like, the world is your oyster.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

RoyalDude wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:

'Outside of draft picks

Bernier

Hamhuis---Garrison
Ballard---Tanev
Barker

You can have anything you like, the world is your oyster.

not with signings like that...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

'Outside of draft picks

Zack Bernier
Steve Kassian

Hamhuis---Garrison
Ballard---Tanev
Barker

And once again no credit for the players he retained by re-signing. Something we all know a GM must be able to do to ice a competitive team.
The only HW the Canucks need
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Hockey Widow wrote:

'Outside of draft picks

Zack Bernier
Steve Kassian

Hamhuis---Garrison
Ballard---Tanev
Barker

And once again no credit for the players he retained by re-signing. Something we all know a GM must be able to do to ice a competitive team.

fair enough...he hasnt been a complete bust...but he is not off the hook if it all goes down the shitter...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

and no GM should be.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cornuck wrote:and no GM should be.

If the Canucks go out in round 1 count me in on those that say AV should be gone. MG gets one more year to re-tool and see what he can do. He has assets to trade, contracts to be bought out and FA to sign or let walk.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:

'Outside of draft picks

Zack Bernier
Steve Kassian

Hamhuis---Garrison
Ballard---Tanev
Barker

Boy, that's a real notch on his belt re-signing current canucks who wanted to work out a contract to stay with the team they love. I hate this lame argument but really, if that is the best people can do to defend Gillis, doesn't say much about his work does it? Like grasping at straws.

We must not forget that there is a serious waning interest in this city regarding the fans and that falls squarely onto the shoulders of the GM of this team. I'm sure Aquaman ain't too happy about it. Gillis job is far from safe if this team gets knocked again in the first round. AV getting fired is nowhere near the magic bullet you all is hoping for. No new coach coming in here is gonna make a difference, it will just be a revolving door of coaches like we see in Edmonton. The problem? It's the GM.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

A chronology of failure, previous canucks GM's:

19070 - 1973 Norman "Bud" Poile: lost the spin of the wheel and destroyed Dale Talon by trying to make him into a forward.

1973 - 1974 Lary Coe: who?

1974 - 1976 Phil Malony: I don't remember much about Phil good or bad.

1977 -1981 Jake frigging Milford: How the hell do you trade Derlago and Vaive for scraps? I get it that Derlago skated around checking out the puck bunnies in the stands most of the night, but god dammit the 2 or 3 minutes he showed up every night he was dominant! And what can you say about giving up on Rick Vaive a year or two after drafting him.

This was the stupidest trade in Canucks history until:

1982 - 1986 Harry Neale: Cam Neely and a 1st rd pick, 3rd overall, for Barry, "brocken wing ,Pederson what else needs to be said!

1985 - 1987 Jake Gordon: Who and what did he do?

1987 - 1998 Pat Quin: My god what to say, Linden, Bure, Mogilny, Naslund all the great things he did. But Keenan, Messier. screwing up the Gretzuy deal in the midle of the night. Screwing over Bure so he demanded a trade my god how does our greatest GM become our worst ever.

It boggles the mind!

1998 - 2004 Brian Burke: The blow-hard that walked like a man what did he ever do for the team?

Oh yes, he orchestrated the deal that got us the Sedins, that was some fine work I'll give him that!

2004 - 2008 Dave Nonis: Fixed the goally problem thtr Burkie refused to address during his tenure as GM.

Gave out 2nd round picks for borderline players on the way out of the league,

2008 - 200?? Mike Gillis: the jury is out, he robbed a desperate SJ for Ehrhoff then let him walk. Signed some very good players, both RFA and UFA to discounts.

Traded assets for Ballard, that has not worked out and acquired Booth for nothing but we really got nothing in return mainly due to injuries in this case.

Anybody saying Gillis is the worst GM in Canucks history knows nothing of history!

And it's like my grade ten history instructor told me: "Those that do not know history are doomed to repeat it"

Crap it was even more boring the next year!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Knucklehead wrote:A chronology of failure, previous canucks GM's:

19070 - 1973 Norman "Bud" Poile: lost the spin of the wheel and destroyed Dale Talon by trying to make him into a forward.

1973 - 1974 Lary Coe: who?

1974 - 1976 Phil Malony: I don't remember much about Phil good or bad.

1977 -1981 Jake frigging Milford: How the hell do you trade Derlago and Vaive for scraps? I get it that Derlago skated around checking out the puck bunnies in the stands most of the night, but god dammit the 2 or 3 minutes he showed up every night he was dominant! And what can you say about giving up on Rick Vaive a year or two after drafting him.

This was the stupidest trade in Canucks history until:

1982 - 1986 Harry Neale: Cam Neely and a 1st rd pick, 3rd overall, for Barry, "brocken wing ,Pederson what else needs to be said!

1985 - 1987 Jake Gordon: Who and what did he do?

1987 - 1998 Pat Quin: My god what to say, Linden, Bure, Mogilny, Naslund all the great things he did. But Keenan, Messier. screwing up the Gretzuy deal in the midle of the night. Screwing over Bure so he demanded a trade my god how does our greatest GM become our worst ever.

It boggles the mind!

1998 - 2004 Brian Burke: The blow-hard that walked like a man what did he ever do for the team?

Oh yes, he orchestrated the deal that got us the Sedins, that was some fine work I'll give him that!

2004 - 2008 Dave Nonis: Fixed the goally problem thtr Burkie refused to address during his tenure as GM.

Gave out 2nd round picks for borderline players on the way out of the league,

2008 - 200?? Mike Gillis: the jury is out, he robbed a desperate SJ for Ehrhoff then let him walk. Signed some very good players, both RFA and UFA to discounts.

Traded assets for Ballard, that has not worked out and acquired Booth for nothing but we really got nothing in return mainly due to injuries in this case.

Anybody saying Gillis is the worst GM in Canucks history knows nothing of history!

And it's like my grade ten history instructor told me: "Those that do not know history are doomed to repeat it"

Crap it was even more boring the next year!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hey Knucklehead you're preaching to a guy who follows the same guy to work every day. I aint happy with MG's efforts thelast 2 years but anyone who says he is the worst GM in the teams history likely gets his food cut up for him.

As an asside AV is a joke. Best thing that come out of a sweep is seeing that fat prick unemployed.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob, you're seriously brain damaged if you honestly believe that getting rid of AV is the answer to this teams problems.

He will be fired, if we get knocked out of the first round 2nd time in a row, but that will have more to do with Gillis saving his own face than anything else. The bottom line, the product on the ice is in need of a blood transfusion only administered by a GM with a fucking hint of intelligence at player evaluating, drafting and developing and the balls to pull off a bold trade. This group is fucking stale
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I'm brain damaged.......ok :roll:
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Mon May 06, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”