Roster Questions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If an overhaul of this team is needed, which of the following players who should MG shop around...

Hank and Danny
12
7%
Edler
44
25%
Booth
45
26%
Higgins
8
5%
Bieksa
15
9%
Ballard
45
26%
Hamhuis
2
1%
None of the above
2
1%
 
Total votes : 173

Roster Questions

Postby Meds » Sat May 04, 2013 3:11 pm

First question I have is, do you ask the Sedins to waive their NTC/NMC?

Yes they have done great things for the franchise and been top players. Both have won scoring titles, something no Canuck ever did before them. But they have been complete no shows in the playoffs. They have become too easy to shut down and the "Sedin Magic" seems to have evaporated. They have not been the quintessential first line players that contribute every game. They have often disappeared for several games in a row and then come back and put up 5 or 6 points each over 2 or 3 games and then dropped off again.

So do you consider seeing what is out there if they were willing to go?

Or.....

Are they having as much trouble on this team because the gameplan just isn't working and it's time for a new coach.....
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby rats19 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:14 pm

No one including the players can figure the coach out....
The coach goes
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4684
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Roster Questions

Postby RoyalDude » Sat May 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Meds wrote:First question I have is, do you ask the Sedins to waive their NTC/NMC?

Yes they have done great things for the franchise and been top players. Both have won scoring titles, something no Canuck ever did before them. But they have been complete no shows in the playoffs. They have become too easy to shut down and the "Sedin Magic" seems to have evaporated. They have not been the quintessential first line players that contribute every game. They have often disappeared for several games in a row and then come back and put up 5 or 6 points each over 2 or 3 games and then dropped off again.

So do you consider seeing what is out there if they were willing to go?

Or.....

Are they having as much trouble on this team because the gameplan just isn't working and it's time for a new coach.....


Do not see the Sedins going anywhere and that there is the problem, as long as they are here they define the culture of this team. Not sure how you trade those two and do not think, at their age and declining game that you would get equal value in return. Our GM here has to turn the page somehow, create a new environment starting next season so to make them no longer the go to guys where all the pressure is on them for this team to succeed. That mantle should be handed over to the slightly younger Kelser and to find him some fucking proper linemates. Bump the Sedins down to 2nd/3rd line verteren status or something. The worrisome part about that is if Gillis decides to stay true to the Sedins, keep tinkering around them, for a few more years then we may see a Calgary Flame style slow fizzle to mediocrity then to bottom feeding pond scum of the NHL like they did around Iginla for so long. Either way, we need a GM with brass fucking balls this summer.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Roster Questions

Postby cjc » Sat May 04, 2013 3:25 pm

You won't get as much for the Sedins as you would keeping them here and having them mentor some of the newer/younger players. Don't shop.

Booth - shop or buyout.

Ballard - never given a proper shot here. Unless AV goes and we get someone in who'll give him some rope so we can see what he could be if not playing on pins and needles, shop him.

Edler - doesn't have any fire in his belly. Huge potential but doubt it will be realized. Will get the most for him if he's traded now. Do it.

Burrows - hate to say it but we could get a lot for him too. Didn't Ferraro mention "kaboom"?

Raymond not on the list? Maybe because he only on a one year contract. Love his personality but need a roster spot for someone more effective.

Wasn't on the list but absolutely keep Weise. Love him. We need to get bigger and grittier.

RELEASE AV - NOW.
cjc
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 am

Re: Roster Questions

Postby The_Pauser » Sat May 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Shopping Booth and Ballard won't change much so the fact that they're even on this poll and leading it is a joke. Neither of them have played in this series and the team still blows. What we need is a huge shake-up.

I would look to move Edler and our 1st round pick to Tampa for their 3rd overall pick. Not sure if they would do it, but that would be the trade I would push hard for. Edler is overpaid as our highest paid defenseman, defense is an area of clear strength and we don't need to be paying him so much to bobble the puck and make these constant brain farts that he makes.

Obviously Luongo, Ballard, and Booth have to be gone. This clears a lot of cap space (especially in addition to the trade I mentioned above). I would also look to move the Sedins. Don't know if it's possible, but I'm tired of their schtick here. We need to move on from them and reform our identity. Not sure how realistic such a trade scenario would be, but moving the Sedins along with Luongo to Florida for their 2nd overall pick would be something that I would attempt as well. Holding back 50% of the Sedins salary for next season if need be to make it work. The move makes the Panthers relevant again, and allows us to move on with a much brighter future. Draft both MacKinnon and Drouin and build around these two for years to come.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Larry Goodenough » Sat May 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Meds wrote:First question I have is, do you ask the Sedins to waive their NTC/NMC?

Yes they have done great things for the franchise and been top players. Both have won scoring titles, something no Canuck ever did before them. But they have been complete no shows in the playoffs. They have become too easy to shut down and the "Sedin Magic" seems to have evaporated. They have not been the quintessential first line players that contribute every game. They have often disappeared for several games in a row and then come back and put up 5 or 6 points each over 2 or 3 games and then dropped off again.

So do you consider seeing what is out there if they were willing to go?

Or.....

Are they having as much trouble on this team because the gameplan just isn't working and it's time for a new coach.....


Gawd, already?

Last night there were 29 pucks at he net when Henrik was on the ice vs 10 against. A bit more luck and Dan and Burrows both had empty net goals. I know it's frustrating to see them unable to score goals, but I don't know how three times the pucks flying at the opponent's net than your own is a no show.

During this season, the Sedins even strength goals for vs against per minute played was actually the same as 2010-2011. They didn't score as much, but they were defensively that much better as well. They also did it against alot of tougher competition as there was no second line most of the year.

Other players that have been "shut down" as much as the Sedins over the enormous sample size the playoffs have given us thus far include Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Richards, Toews, Hossa, Nash, Richards, Backes, Oshie, McDonald, Parise, Koivu, Perry. Zetterberg.

Sedins are fine. What needs to be improved is the second and third lines.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat May 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Can't we disect the body postmortem? What the fuck happened last night? They took the series over physically on a team that doesn't deal well with being taken over. Why freak out and trade everyone after 2 games?

Where are the real fans? Where are the fans who saw their team lay a licking on a very strong sharks team? Make no mistake...we ran those fuckers hard last night and they are wearing ice bags today. All of them.

I don't share your pessimism. I see a team in VCR that is only just now getting there groove on. Kesler has arrived my worried friends and if you all jump ship now you'll be wiping the egg off your collective faces.

So enough hand wringing, bed wetting and panty twisting girls. Last time I checked 2 wins doesn't mean shit.
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Meds » Sat May 04, 2013 5:24 pm

cjc wrote:You won't get as much for the Sedins as you would keeping them here and having them mentor some of the newer/younger players. Don't shop.

Booth - shop or buyout.

Ballard - never given a proper shot here. Unless AV goes and we get someone in who'll give him some rope so we can see what he could be if not playing on pins and needles, shop him.

Edler - doesn't have any fire in his belly. Huge potential but doubt it will be realized. Will get the most for him if he's traded now. Do it.

Burrows - hate to say it but we could get a lot for him too. Didn't Ferraro mention "kaboom"?

Raymond not on the list? Maybe because he only on a one year contract. Love his personality but need a roster spot for someone more effective.

Wasn't on the list but absolutely keep Weise. Love him. We need to get bigger and grittier.

RELEASE AV - NOW.


Yes. Raymond and Lou not on list because we know Lou is being traded and nobody is going to give us much of anything for a soon to be UFA.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Reefer2 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:Can't we disect the body postmortem? What the fuck happened last night? They took the series over physically on a team that doesn't deal well with being taken over. Why freak out and trade everyone after 2 games?

Where are the real fans? Where are the fans who saw their team lay a licking on a very strong sharks team? Make no mistake...we ran those fuckers hard last night and they are wearing ice bags today. All of them.

I don't share your pessimism. I see a team in VCR that is only just now getting there groove on. Kesler has arrived my worried friends and if you all jump ship now you'll be wiping the egg off your collective faces.

So enough hand wringing, bed wetting and panty twisting girls. Last time I checked 2 wins doesn't mean shit.


Where are the fans?

How about where is a team that can put 60 minutes together and score some goals.

Love the attitude but majority of us has been here before and seen this movie and we already know the ending, why would it be any different this year after seeing this team fall apart every year except 1.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Roster Questions

Postby The_Pauser » Sat May 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:Can't we disect the body postmortem? What the fuck happened last night? They took the series over physically on a team that doesn't deal well with being taken over. Why freak out and trade everyone after 2 games?

Where are the real fans? Where are the fans who saw their team lay a licking on a very strong sharks team? Make no mistake...we ran those fuckers hard last night and they are wearing ice bags today. All of them.

I don't share your pessimism. I see a team in VCR that is only just now getting there groove on. Kesler has arrived my worried friends and if you all jump ship now you'll be wiping the egg off your collective faces.

So enough hand wringing, bed wetting and panty twisting girls. Last time I checked 2 wins doesn't mean shit.


duh huh. How long have you been a Canuck fan for? Because I've seen this movie far too often. This is like watching Titanic over and over again and everytime you watch the movie you say "well maybe the boat won't sink today."
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Roster Questions

Postby theman » Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 pm

How many buyouts can the Canucks do this offseason? What I hope the Canucks do:

1. Fire AV, he needs to go. Time for a fresh voice for the players.

2. Buyout Luongo, can't see any team trading for him now. Gillis really has misplayed the Luongo situation.

3. Buyout Booth and Ballard.

4. Use the cap space to rebuild the forward lines.
theman
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby rats19 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:45 pm

theman wrote:How many buyouts can the Canucks do this offseason? What I hope the Canucks do:

1. Fire AV, he needs to go. Time for a fresh voice for the players.

2. Buyout Luongo, can't see any team trading for him now. Gillis really has misplayed the Luongo situation.

3. Buyout Booth and Ballard.

4. Use the cap space to rebuild the forward lines.

2 i think...
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4684
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Roster Questions

Postby theman » Sat May 04, 2013 5:49 pm

rats19 wrote:
theman wrote:How many buyouts can the Canucks do this offseason? What I hope the Canucks do:

1. Fire AV, he needs to go. Time for a fresh voice for the players.

2. Buyout Luongo, can't see any team trading for him now. Gillis really has misplayed the Luongo situation.

3. Buyout Booth and Ballard.

4. Use the cap space to rebuild the forward lines.

2 i think...


Couldn't remember if it was 2 or 3, then I would buyout Luongo and Booth. Ballard could turn it around with a new coach.
theman
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sat May 04, 2013 5:51 pm

The_Pauser wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Can't we disect the body postmortem? What the fuck happened last night? They took the series over physically on a team that doesn't deal well with being taken over. Why freak out and trade everyone after 2 games?

Where are the real fans? Where are the fans who saw their team lay a licking on a very strong sharks team? Make no mistake...we ran those fuckers hard last night and they are wearing ice bags today. All of them.

I don't share your pessimism. I see a team in VCR that is only just now getting there groove on. Kesler has arrived my worried friends and if you all jump ship now you'll be wiping the egg off your collective faces.

So enough hand wringing, bed wetting and panty twisting girls. Last time I checked 2 wins doesn't mean shit.


duh huh. How long have you been a Canuck fan for? Because I've seen this movie far too often. This is like watching Titanic over and over again and everytime you watch the movie you say "well maybe the boat won't sink today."

So because Snepts fucked up in game 1, because Lafayette hit iron, because Naslund was Cpt Invisible...this is why you're pissing the bed? This is total baloney.
Time to get behind our team for once. The fans of this team are widely regarded as the worst in the league because we never appreciate what we have.

Watching Kesler come alive like that had to inspire some part of you as a fan. That was epic and I would expect I am not alone in this. If I was on this team, a guy going to war like that makes me do every single last thing I possibly could to match his fire.

Get back on the wagon people...it ain't over
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: Roster Questions

Postby Meds » Sat May 04, 2013 5:59 pm

This wasn't a thread that was created just because of last night. Last night's loss is on 2 people, Vigneault and Edler.

This was just a response to many suggestions on this board about this team needing a change and a new identity.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3322
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests