GDT: R1G2 Canucks Vs. Sharks 7:00 PM PST TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: GDT: R1G2 Canucks Vs. Sharks 7:00 PM PST TSN

Post by Arachnid »

Tiger wrote:Groovypippen said:
The Sedins have done exactly nothing in this series. Kessler put them both to absolute shame tonight. Obviously, there is nothing I'd like to see more than for the Canucks to turn this thing around, but if we are out in 4-5 games - which seems likely - it's time to start asking some serious questions about the future of this team. And I think those questions start with the Sedins.
Agree.. and building a first line around Kesler for next year.. and giving Kes the "C" if their performance doesnt radically improve in SJ.. not sure but think the Sedins could be a 1b line or maybe second line?

cjc said :
And poor Ballard - Corrado's inexperience showed but watch AV keep Ballard out of the line-up again in SJ.
"poor Ballard" had 140 games to prove just how bad a dman he is.. Corrado is the better of the 2.. wtf has Ballard done to give him a playoff spot?
I argued three years ago to give him the Captaincy...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Arachnid wrote:
Tiger wrote:Groovypippen said:
The Sedins have done exactly nothing in this series. Kessler put them both to absolute shame tonight. Obviously, there is nothing I'd like to see more than for the Canucks to turn this thing around, but if we are out in 4-5 games - which seems likely - it's time to start asking some serious questions about the future of this team. And I think those questions start with the Sedins.
Agree.. and building a first line around Kesler for next year.. and giving Kes the "C" if their performance doesnt radically improve in SJ.. not sure but think the Sedins could be a 1b line or maybe second line?

cjc said :
And poor Ballard - Corrado's inexperience showed but watch AV keep Ballard out of the line-up again in SJ.
"poor Ballard" had 140 games to prove just how bad a dman he is.. Corrado is the better of the 2.. wtf has Ballard done to give him a playoff spot?
I argued three years ago to give him the Captaincy...
Yep.. :) after the Preds game 2011 for me..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

cjc wrote:This team needs serious adjustment. The effort is there but the horsepower - apart from Kesler - isn't. I can't see this team pulling it off. AV puts all his eggs in rather weak baskets and it doesn't look like he knows how to direct the others. Kassian seems lost - he has no defined role and skates around with no direction. Poor kid. He could be ruined before he knows it. And poor Ballard - Corrado's inexperience showed but watch AV keep Ballard out of the line-up again in SJ.
I am actually happy with what I have seen with Kassassian so far. He plays mostly at the begining of the games, but when the game tightens up, AV goes with his veterans more. I thought Zack, Kes and LapDawg were our best players at the start of the game (skating hard, throwing hits and setting the tone for the game). I luv it when Zack finishes his checks and he seems really comfortable out there too. I noticed 1 shift, he's banging his stick on the ice for MayRay to feed him the puck. He wants the puck, that's a good sign. I'd like to see Kass play with the Sedins actually, I think maybe his size and muscle can open the ice up for the Sedins a bit and maybe he can score a garbage goal off some sedin plays. Burr is versitile enuff that he can play with Kes or a checking unit.

Corrado has been fine, but I wouldn't mind going with Ballard or Barker for next game as well. I like to go with NHL experience in the playoffs.

I noticed Ebbett doesn't play much. If Kes is going to play centre, I think we should just have LapDawg on the 4th line and maybe we can make a grind line of Sestito(or Pinozotto)-LapDawg-Weise. I know AV doesn't like our guys taking penalties, but I wouldn't mind having an energy line that can intimidate a little bit.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
cjc wrote:This team needs serious adjustment. The effort is there but the horsepower - apart from Kesler - isn't. I can't see this team pulling it off. AV puts all his eggs in rather weak baskets and it doesn't look like he knows how to direct the others. Kassian seems lost - he has no defined role and skates around with no direction. Poor kid. He could be ruined before he knows it. And poor Ballard - Corrado's inexperience showed but watch AV keep Ballard out of the line-up again in SJ.
I am actually happy with what I have seen with Kassassian so far. He plays mostly at the begining of the games, but when the game tightens up, AV goes with his veterans more. I thought Zack, Kes and LapDawg were our best players at the start of the game (skating hard, throwing hits and setting the tone for the game). I luv it when Zack finishes his checks and he seems really comfortable out there too. I noticed 1 shift, he's banging his stick on the ice for MayRay to feed him the puck. He wants the puck, that's a good sign. I'd like to see Kass play with the Sedins actually, I think maybe his size and muscle can open the ice up for the Sedins a bit and maybe he can score a garbage goal off some sedin plays. Burr is versitile enuff that he can play with Kes or a checking unit.

Corrado has been fine, but I wouldn't mind going with Ballard or Barker for next game as well. I like to go with NHL experience in the playoffs.

I noticed Ebbett doesn't play much. If Kes is going to play centre, I think we should just have LapDawg on the 4th line and maybe we can make a grind line of Sestito(or Pinozotto)-LapDawg-Weise. I know AV doesn't like our guys taking penalties, but I wouldn't mind having an energy line that can intimidate a little bit.

Kassian needs to be given a defined role and I think he could and should be groomed to be a Bertuzzi-like player. He would be most effective planted in front of the net, screening the goalie. Trying to move his size from the blue paint will only put more bodies in front of Niemi. He seemed to be too much on the perimeter tonight. He tried really hard but on a grinder line his hands and smarts are reduced to almost nothing. Burrows has speed. He could go anywhere and the Sedins just seem to find each other (well, maybe not lately) no matter who plays with them. Go back to the Zack Sedin experiment.

Corrado has been really good for where he is in his development but his inexperience was the cause of the penalty Alberts' took. He had a few other missteps too. This is great for his development but we need to win and, as much as AV hates Ballard, there needs to be a change on the back end. Maybe less time for Edler too. His practically comatose personality does not make for a great playoff competitor. What's his resting heart rate? 32?
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

What makes me really sad is that Kessslerrrr plays like a beast possessed and we're still somehow losing thanks to some legendary brainfarts by most of the others....

Don't understand me wrong, the Canucks played all in all not a bad game but the Sharks are lightly above us and will win this series, no doubt about that... but still staying to be a fan of the Canucks, there's no bandwagon for me which i can jump on and start again...

I literally was bleeding so much for this team that i don't want anymore to invest some kind of hopes, this is pretty done or do you think this Sharks team will lose 4 in 5 games now, not to say the next 4 ones?

Would be very happy if there's a miracle but not believing anymore, sorry to all, an old bittered bastard...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don't think we are giving the Sharks enough credit here, this is the best all around, team game I've seen them play in a long while.

The Sedins star is fading, was evident from where they dwindled on the scoring leader board.

Kesler was a monster for us tonight, but unfortunately it didn't bother the Sharks all that much.

Now we have to try to win in the toughest building in the NHL this year.

It amazes me that some people here still wax on that this is all AV and Edler's fault. There are bigger problems with this team than just AV and Edler.

Kassian is a massive disappointment. He does nothing out there.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

cjc wrote:

Kassian needs to be given a defined role and I think he could and should be groomed to be a Bertuzzi-like player.
Just don't see that happening. I know I'm being tough on the kid, but we really need him right now, to bring some fresh new life to this team. He just seems to be a reactionary player which puts him behind the play all the time, I worry about his smarts away from the puck and when he gets the puck, it's like "well that was useless". Plus his hitting is quite ineffective for a big guy with wheels. Really not sure what to make of him right now other than him being a massive disappointment.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:I don't think we are giving the Sharks enough credit here, this is the best all around, team game I've seen them play in a long while.

The Sedins star is fading, was evident from where they dwindled on the scoring leader board.

Kesler was a monster for us tonight, but unfortunately it didn't bother the Sharks all that much.

Now we have to try to win in the toughest building in the NHL this year.

It amazes me that some people here still wax on that this is all AV and Edler's fault. There are bigger problems with this team than just AV and Edler.

Kassian is a massive disappointment. He does nothing out there.
I don't agree, the sharks aren't all that impressive, and never have been.

So far they have had the bounces, the officiating, and have been the recipients of Canuck mistakes.

That's not a well rounded team. They are totally ripe for a upsetting comeback
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Still waiting on Derek Roy. So far in this series he has not been the rental we had all hoped for. That being said, what do you expect from a player who only managed to score 4 goals this season.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: I don't agree, the sharks aren't all that impressive, and never have been.

So far they have had the bounces, the officiating, and have been the recipients of Canuck mistakes.

BLAME THE REFS!

Anyhow, we agree to disagree. The Sharks IMO are looking surprisingly better than I have seen them in a long while, they are way faster, not surprising after getting rid of slugs - Cowe, Murray and Handzus. Why is Torres not a Canuck? I just haven't seen the Sharks play a 60 minute, 200 foot, team game like this in a long time. They certainly do not get flustered like they used to when the Canucks put the pressure on. They just seem more focus and are not getting involved in any antics after whistles and taking stupid penalties like they used to. It does help when you get rid of sideshow Clowe who was the king of dumb penalties due to his hot temper.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I don't agree, the sharks aren't all that impressive, and never have been.

BLAME THE REFS!

Anyhow, we agree to disagree. The Sharks IMO are looking surprisingly better than I have seen them in a long while, they are way faster, not surprising after getting rid of slugs - Cowe, Murray and Handzus. Why is Torres not a Canuck? I just haven't seen the Sharks play a 60 minute, 200 foot, team game like this in a long time. They certainly do not get flustered like they used to when the Canucks put the pressure on. They just seem more focus and are not getting involved in any antics after whistles and taking stupid penalties like they used to. It does help when you get rid of sideshow Clowe who was the king of dumb penalties due to his hot temper.
I thought it was a canuck fan's constitutional right to blame the ref?

Anyway yeah I didn't want Clowne at the deadline for that very reason. Didn't San Jose pay a second rounder for Torres which we would have screamed at golly for that price?

They may not bitch as much as they used too but they sure looked cowed by Kesler to me, especially that big fag yumbo

If out defence can get their collective heads out of their ass its gonna be a different two games in frisco
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

until the large lady sings..it aint over. but it is certainly an uphill battle now
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:until the large lady sings..it aint over. but it is certainly an uphill battle now
Oh yes, we have seen some great miracles take place in the first round, anything can happen, but shit it's gonna be tough to win two games in San Jose.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

however I almost forgot how impact-full kesler was. shit man no wonder we like this guy...injuries took him for the last 2 years

that should spice up some others...2.in SJ 2 in SJ...mantra
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

RoyalDude wrote:
rats19 wrote:until the large lady sings..it aint over. but it is certainly an uphill battle now
Oh yes, we have seen some great miracles take place in the first round, anything can happen, but shit it's gonna be tough to win two games in San Jose.
So it aint over if we come out of SJ with a split..
Last night I saw the best performance by an individual Canuck since the Bure' days wasted .. Keslers 3rd period was superb.. The rest of the team? Other than Higgins, Hansen and Burrows.. Nada..

Umm Rats.. Fat lady died a few years ago..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice