GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host fish - 7:30

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host fish - 7:30

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Can I say - Great Road Game by the San Jose Sharks? Textbook
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

not gonna worry yet...got to play better , see what happens friday...shit that sucks though :eh:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Funny how better a team looks when you get rid of a couple slugs in Douglas Murray and Ryan Clowe and replace that with an energy player in Torres. Kinda now wish that Gillis hadda gone backwards and re-acquried Torres.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I liked the way the Canucks were hitting for the most part, and even though the Sharks dominated in the first, Luongo's place was re-assuring and I saw more energy than last year's first game against LA. And the Canucks were the better team in the 2nd. But in the 3rd they were easily the second best team. Game 1 playoff game at home, tied 1-1 going into the 3rd, you have to take that game, end of story.

We'll learn a lot about this team on Friday, they have to win that sucker. If they don't, well...that'll say one heck of a lot.

I can't say I'm even mad about the loss, just seems like the same old story, probably why fans aren't willing to pony up to see them live. I sure hope they recover and, well, win a playoff game at home for the first time since June 2011...that would be nice.

Hopefully Schneider starts. The loss was not Luongo's fault, but I'd just like to see Schneider take the reins now, see what happens.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:not gonna worry yet...got to play better , see what happens friday...shit that sucks though :eh:
It's the first round, long series, ain't over til it's over but not liking the Nucks determination on the puck, seems like we lost most the puck battles tonight. The Nucks better get used to seeing the Sharks in their faces when they get pucks, they give you no room and we don't seem to like that.

The Sharks were all business tonight, the Nucks weren't.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Love how during the two timeouts in the final couple minutes while the entire SJ coaching staff was involved with talking to their players while Brown handled the first one on his own and the players huddled on the ice at the end of the bench discussing strategies while AV stood on the bench chewing his gum looking on.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What's with the buzz in the city, or lack-thereof? Apparently they had a hard time filling seats tonight?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote:Love how during the two timeouts in the final couple minutes while the entire SJ coaching staff was involved with talking to their players while Brown handled the first one on his own and the players huddled on the ice at the end of the bench discussing strategies while AV stood on the bench chewing his gum looking on.
AV has always never been real involved in time outs, just like Scotty Bowman, Mike Keenan and a shit load of other Head Coaches. Not sure what your point is here. The assistants generally handle the time-outs.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote:
vic wrote:Love how during the two timeouts in the final couple minutes while the entire SJ coaching staff was involved with talking to their players while Brown handled the first one on his own and the players huddled on the ice at the end of the bench discussing strategies while AV stood on the bench chewing his gum looking on.
AV has always never been real involved in time outs, just like Scotty Bowman, Mike Keenan and a shit load of other Head Coaches. Not sure what your point is here. The assistants generally handle the time-outs.
The two coaches you mentioned have cup rings.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

After being one of the nutbars who paid to watch this,all I can say is that this team cannot prepare itself. AV's fault? Well, if not, look at the so-called leaders. Sedins MIA. By the end of the game I mistook Roy for Ebbett. That says it all.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Damn, I thought we might take this when we were up 1-0. But one penalty and a couple of break downs and it was game over. I saw no point in playing ebbett on the wing as we have 4 centres already. I think I would of went with Sestito or Pinozotto. If we're going to go down, I'd rather go down with our intimidators/fighters.

Frankie looked pretty good, but I'm not a big fan of playing 19 year old rookies in the playoffs. I think I'd rather go with some NHL experience in Barker or Ballard next game.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Nothing but crickets from Royal Tuna all day

Canucks lose and immediately RD posts 7 almost consecutive comments
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
It's true. Scuttlebutt was that Bowman rarely talked directly to his players unless it was necessary. Outside of some instruction in practice he was pretty removed from the room.

Keenan was an ass-hat. Had success in New York and a bit in Chicago, but after 1994 he was a clown.

Vigneault is no Bowman though.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Really hard to get upset about that loss. Just as it was really hard to get excited about the game. I'm just not feeling it this year and by the looks of either are the Canucks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The first period was a disaster. The stats did not represent what we saw on the ice. The Canucks may have out hit the Sharks, but the Sharks out chanced them by a wide margin. When I heard the SOG numbers were 15-9 in favor of San Jose I had to ask when we too 9 shots. I'm pretty sure some of them were from outside the blueline. Luongo was absolutely stellar in the opening 20 minutes.

In the second period it looked like the Canucks were waking up and momentum was clearly starting to shift. Luongo was still good, but tested less often. The sad thing is that I don't recall many good scoring chances during that middle frame. Our goal was pure garbage and I'm almost surprised the play wasn't whistled dead by one of the officials. I didn't even see the penalty that put the Sharks up a man, and I was still trying to figure out who was in the box when Couture tied it. All I remember was looking up at the ceiling and asking my buddies why we are never able to generate scoring chances like that from the slot with our powerplay.

Around the 8 minute mark of the third period I had this sinking feeling in my gut. We weren't getting any looks at Niemi, and none of the Canucks had been able to pass the puck worth shit. Every pass was into the feet, a foot or two behind, or way too far ahead, of the intended recipient. A minute or so later Boyle put it upstairs while 4 Canucks stood around Luongo facing the net. I'm not sure where the fifth guy was. I was hoping that maybe that was the kick in the ass that the team needed to snap out of the fog they had been skating around in all night.....after all, there was still enough hockey to be played for a team with this level of talent to mount a comeback. Then Marleau put it away on a goal that just looked odd. A terrible read by the defense, then just a screwy shot block that did nothing but let Luongo watch it slide by him as he had dropped and was perfectly positioned to absorb the shot that Marleau looked to be setting up for.....at that range Lou was hooped. But he really does look like he's given up on this team when they are down and playing the way they have been, and even sadder is that you can definitely say that Schneider would have had 2 of those just because of his stance. The wider butterfly would have stopped Marleau, and the way Schneid's sets up, his blocker probably would have gotten Couture's shot. He may not have gotten a couple of the ones that Lou got though. So ifs are just a wash at this point.

I'm still pointing the finger at Vigneault more than the players, but the Sedins need to step up and play smarter.

There were more than a few times that they slowed things down and thought pass when they had a look at the net. Every time it allowed the Sharks to recover and Niemi to get set. I'm mystified as to whether it is the players or the coach that are responsible for our complete lack of back door attackers.

On so many rushes there would be a lane across the middle between the backchecking Shark forward and the defensemen, and every time the puck carrier looked across there was only one Canuck to hit with a pass, and he was always behind a defenseman and nobody was filling the far lane. The book on the overload offensive attack is out, few teams employ it the way Vancouver does, and none of them have success against teams that are playing the Tortorella style collapse and smother defense that blocks shots and just stacks up and sends an extra defender over to nullify the overload. It only works against a zone, and even then it has to be run quicker than the Canucks are executing it right now.

On the PP we made it too easy for San Jose. Again the Twins slowed it down. The passes to the point weren't good. The setup passes for the one-timer were brutal, and if it was Edler receiving the pass he would slow it down and wait then have a wrist shot blocked before it got to the net. San Jose did a very good job of making it tough to set Garrison up, kudos to them for that. I'm unsure if it is the players inability to read and react or Vigneault and Co. just having heads up asses, but when the defending forwards are cheating to the point and coming hard at the puck carrier along the wall, quick puck movement is the only way to beat them. The second PP unit moved around more and had more chances, but the first unit was disgusting to watch.....again.

I do wish Gillis had gone a bit harder after Torres at the deadline.....I heard he tried after Clowe went to NY.

Ebbet on the 4th line is a complete joke. There were several times where the 4th line was hitting the Sharks blueline and going for the dump-chase-and-pound play, but it was Weise or Lap with the puck and Ebbett on the side that the puck was being dumped into. Pretty useless. Weise was hitting everything. Sestito would too. Ebbett should be in the press box. He made some terrible reads in the defensive zone too, but some of those were probably just the result of him being too small to do anything else. Ballard would be an upgrade if not Sestito.

Gillis may not have been able to get the pieces that he wanted to acquire, but I think a GM worth his salt steps in and tells a coach to play the best roster and to keep all the players accountable. To date that hasn't happened.

I would also like to know what happened to the up-tempo game we saw from the Canucks from 2009-2011. It is essentially the same lineup, but suddenly they seem slower than ever. I know they are a bit older, but something is just missing. I don't even think that I'm overly upset by this. It just is what it is, and I totally expected it from this group.

Ferraro hit the nail on the head. The loser of this series will likely go kaboom.