Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Vs Sharks, Round I

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya, I'm OK with TSN too but then I already have the full HD package. For those that don't it is a huge slight that HNIC went this way. But like you I prefer the TSN broadcasters and intermission panels much more than I do HNIC.
Don't get me wrong, as a taxpayer and payer of exorbidant cable rates, I hate our nationalized TV channel. Only shows I have watched on that channel in years are HNIC and Dragon's Den.

I think TSN and CityTV are partners...I've seen TSN games on that channel before. Is City available on rabbit ears? Maybe NHL playoff games will be broadcast on City as well...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Schneider is taking the full team practice today (not a huge surprise, but good to see none the less).

Tanev still has a walking boot on.

Lines today in practice are (I'm assuming this is pretty indicative of the game 1 lineup):

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Roy-Hansen
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Ebbett-Lapierre-Weise
Sestito-etc-etc-etc

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Bieksa
Alberts-Corrado

Barker-Ballard

People will bitch about Ballard being the odd guy out...my only comment is I'd rather Ballard play over Ebbett. This would be the second time in his Vancouver Canucks career that a healthy Ballard would sit in lieu of a rookie.
Last edited by herb on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

herb wrote:Schneider is taking the full team practice today (not a huge surprise, but good to see none the less).

Lines today in practice are (I'm assuming this is pretty indicative of the game 1 lineup):

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Roy-Hansen
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Ebbett-Lapierre-Weise
Sestito-etc-etc-etc

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Alberts-Corrado

Barker-Ballard

People will bitch about Ballard being the odd guy out...my only comment is I'd rather Ballard play over Ebbett. This would be the second time in his Vancouver Canucks career that a healthy Ballard would sit in lieu of a rookie.
Judging from traditional line placements (Higgins with Roy, Garrison with Hamhuis, etc) I suspect the line-ups are more to familiarize guys in case AV juggles the line-ups. With those D pairings, I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard skates on the 4th line.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Lancer wrote:Judging from traditional line placements (Higgins with Roy, Garrison with Hamhuis, etc) I suspect the line-ups are more to familiarize guys in case AV juggles the line-ups. With those D pairings, I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard skates on the 4th line.
Perhaps, but of late AV has been running with his practice and game day skate line combos.

Made a change in my above pose; Garrison is practicing with Hamhuis and Bieksa is with Edler.

Alberts has played well of late, and deserves to start Game 1, IMO.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

herb wrote:Alberts has played well of late, and deserves to start Game 1, IMO.
Agreed. He's actually been one of the few on the blueline whose made life uncomfortable in the slot for opposing forwards. The little I saw of him and Corrado reminded me of Ballard-Tanev. Once Tanev gets back, it would be interesting to see if Vigneault doesn't swap in D-pairs vice individual Ds (Ballard-Tanev in for Alberts-Corrado and vice versa), or if he alters the pairings to slot Tanev in.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

From Fearthefin.com - here's the Sharks lines and pairs from their April 24th game against Phoenix

T.J. Galiardi - Joe Thornton - Brent Burns
Patrick Marleau - Logan Couture - Martin Havlat
Raffi Torres - Joe Pavelski - Tommy Wingels
Andrew Desjardins - Scott Gomez - Adam Burish

Scott Hannan - Dan Boyle
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Justin Braun
Matt Irwin - Brad Stuart
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I agree Alberts deserves to draw in. He has been fairly steady and a good physical presence. Bieksa with Edler I think is more a comment on how Edler cannot play the right side and needs a solid R'dman beside him whereas Hamhuis and Garrison work well together. Not a slight on Elder as I think a lot of D'men have a problem switching sides.

Same as Corrado being in, he gives us that second r'handed shot. Tough luck for Ballard but you can bet if the kid falters he won't be in for long. Ebbett can kill penalties Ballard cannot so I don't mind him drawing in on the 4th line. Ballard looked good as a forward but then never really did much. His problem when he plays forward is in the defensive zone. He covers like a D'man and screws everyone up. He is out of place as a forward when in the D zone.

I like the line up better splitting Kesler and Roy. I mean they have played very well together and form a very good line but we need the centre depth spread out more. Thats why we brought him in.

Great news that CS is practicing. Hopefully he is still fine tomorrow.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:Schneider is taking the full team practice today (not a huge surprise, but good to see none the less).

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Roy-Hansen
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Ebbett-Lapierre-Weise
Sestito-etc-etc-etc

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Bieksa
Alberts-Corrado

Barker-Ballard

:lol:

Schneider was always going to be our guy, AV/MG was just fucking with everyone (media & opposition).

Luo is a good back-up in the play-offs but let's face it, that's all he is. Even if CS has a bad game there is no way in hell Roberto is getting in the drivers seat again. He had his chance to prove himself in big Championship games and he failed.
Only if Cory truly gets badly hurt will Luongo get a game and then it's anybody's guess as to how we do.

Game on! :drink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Certainly looks like Schneider's body injury was simply being used for rest of nagging bumps and bruises. I pretty much doubt he misses anytime if they needed some points the last couple of games. His "injury" allows the rest and allows Cannatta to get a couple of days of NHL pay.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote: :lol:

Schneider was always going to be our guy, AV/MG was just fucking with everyone (media & opposition).

Luo is a good back-up in the play-offs but let's face it, that's all he is. Even if CS has a bad game there is no way in hell Roberto is getting in the drivers seat again. He had his chance to prove himself in big Championship games and he failed.
Only if Cory truly gets badly hurt will Luongo get a game and then it's anybody's guess as to how we do.

Game on! :drink:
It certainly seemed as though Schneider wasn't actually injured, or had a very minor injury, but it's nice to see it confirmed that he's alright.

For what it's worth, Schneider said he's still day-to-day, so maybe he was actually injured afterall?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

CBC's choices were dictated by Don Cherry's bedtime.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

herb wrote:
For what it's worth, Schneider said he's still day-to-day, so maybe he was actually injured afterall?
And I can believe it. Some days he'll be able to play and others wouldn't be able to. Luckily the former will fall on game days and latter on days off.

I'll be shocked if he isn't the game 1 starter.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Fucking Vigneault and his favorites.

Everyone north of Barker on the depth chart is a better option on the 4th line than Andrew Ebbett. This is the playoffs. Time to start being VERY physical. Ebbett can't do that. He has been completely pushed around by physical teams all year. Ballard might not be a PK'er. But who cares. We have Kesler, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Raymond, Lapierre, and even Roy. Right there are 7 forwards who can kill penalties.

But of course, Ebbett works SO hard in practice and tries so hard to do everything he can. He's small. Those are the genetics of it. Move on.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ I generally agree.

Ebbett gives AV the option of putting Roy and Kesler together, and he does kill penalties. Aside from that, he doesn't provide a whole lot. He's isn't great in the faceoff circle and has zero physicality. I think he's a good spare part to have around, but considering we are relatively healthy, I think there are better options.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

In defense of AV....Ebbett gives him another center if he needs to play with the lines by, say, loading up the second line with Roy and Kesler.

If Booth and Schroeder weren't hurt I don't think we see Ebbett at all. But they are so we do. I don't know is Sestito would be any better to be honest. Ideally you want Weise as the 13th forward and Ebbett/Sestito as the 14/15 guys.