Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 pm

My first reaction was that it was a vicious elbow. But after watching it again several times I'm not sure. Yes, for sure he got his elbow up and yes he intended the hit. But another way to see this is that this is a player who knows how to take a hit. Seriously, he knew the hit was coming and did what every NHL player who knows how to take a hit does.

Now he just went too far with the elbow. I guess what I am saying is this is a hockey play that he went to far on, not one of the infamous no hockey play moves Shanny likes to throw out there to justify a suspension. Like in the case of Hansen. It is a play like Keith on Sedin, as Shanny would say, a hockey play with no intention to injure but careless.

So I see a 2 game suspension.

Now knowing how Brown plays the game and how he is a dirty little pecker I know he intended just what happened and it is not the first time, just he has never been suspended before. It is beyond me how he has escaped suspension thus far but he has. Hopefully he gets one now so he can be deemed a repeat offender next time and there will be a next time for him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Whatever the case... he's on the repeat offenders list. Could come in handy down the road...
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:34 pm

2 games. I actually agree with Shanny on this one. Edler did the same thing the other night but didn't get called for elbowing and there was no injury on the play. Brown is a dirty player but I do think it was a hockey play that went wrong and he got his elbow up. Hard to admit but I do agree with this one.

Great part is that Brown now has a "history".
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:28 am

I can't be the only person who is totally baffled that Erik Karlsson will be back playing tonight...wasn't his achilles tendon nearly totally severed less than 10 weeks ago? Am I totally missing something? Those types of injuries usually take like 6 months to recover from.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Arachnid » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:41 am

herb wrote:I can't be the only person who is totally baffled that Erik Karlsson will be back playing tonight...wasn't his achilles tendon nearly totally severed less than 10 weeks ago? Am I totally missing something? Those types of injuries usually take like 6 months to recover from.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421652

Unfreaking real, must be that Viking Voodoo...they really need him though, hope it's not management pushing him to play, Spezza is needed as well if they are to have any hope in hell for The Sens to win atleast 2 rounds in the East :wink:
4 out of 5 Psychologists agree that a man without a woman is a psycho
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tciso » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 am

herb wrote:I can't be the only person who is totally baffled that Erik Karlsson will be back playing tonight...wasn't his achilles tendon nearly totally severed less than 10 weeks ago? Am I totally missing something? Those types of injuries usually take like 6 months to recover from.

Maybe it was a clean cut, and a great surgeon?? But, yeah. that is a very quick turn around.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby herb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 am

Tciso wrote:Maybe it was a clean cut, and a great surgeon?? But, yeah. that is a very quick turn around.

Well, he no doubt had the best surgeon, doctors, physiotherapists and personal trainers money can buy, but 10 weeks is insane for an injury they say takes at least 6 months to recover from. Salo was gone for over four months, and Bieksa was out for more than two months when his calf muscle was cut.

If Karlsson is really back at or near 100%, it would be really incredible.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Reefer2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:03 pm

or the damage was not as bad as they said?

Not a doctor of course so who knows the real extent of the injury?
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby herb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Reefer2 wrote:or the damage was not as bad as they said?

Not a doctor of course so who knows the real extent of the injury?

They said the tendon was 70% severed and he required surgery to repair. He had a healthy tendon before the injury, and was no doubt in great shape when the injury occurred, so it wasn't like there was an ingrained problem in his ligament that led to the injury.

In any event, I hope Karlsson is back at 100%. He is a very exciting player, and I'd hate to see himself get re-injured.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hank » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:38 pm

I bet Dr. Recchi knew all along the injury wasn't that bad... :roll:

But seriously, Karlsson looked pretty good doing drills. Those Ikea replacement parts are really something.
Hank
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Cookie La Rue » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 am

herb wrote:In any event, I hope Karlsson is back at 100%.

He played over 27 minutes, 2 assists for my pool team 8-) , so there's nearly no doubt he's not at 100%.

Imo it was a bold overstatement with the predicted time out.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Postby Hockey Widow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Hey Monday the 29th is Draft Lottery Day. Hope Calgary does well!
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Aaronp18 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Hey Monday the 29th is Draft Lottery Day. Hope Calgary does well!

Liar.
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:21 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Hey Monday the 29th is Draft Lottery Day. Hope Calgary does well!

Liar.

Careful, I know a good lawyer and I hear defamation suits are in this year :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 am

Cookie La Rue wrote:Imo it was a bold overstatement with the predicted time out.

I'm not so sure about that...I am still recovering from a minor achilles tear that happened 9 weeks ago, but I will say that while I still can't run for longer than a couple of minutes on it, I have been able to skate fine and without pain since week 2 of the injury. You actually don't use your achilles/calf much when your ankle is locked at a 90 degree angle in a boot, so perhaps that is at play as well.

I'm glad to hear Karlsson is back and good to go. He's a very exciting player, and the league is better off with him healthy than hurt.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat