Burke Sues for Defamation

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Burke Sues for Defamation

Post by 2Fingers »

Aaronp18 wrote:I'm a tad frustrated that I'm being named here.

What I did was simply attempt to find out if there was any truth to the rumour I had read, there was no intent to spread the rumour from my standpoint. There was no malice on my part.

When I found out that my post was in question and considered as defamatory I didn't repeat the story, it was dead to me. In all seriousness I never attempted to cause harm or pain and I obviously apologize if I did!

This is the last i will speak of this incident as i do not want to add to the issue.
I hope you understand I was not pointing anything at you, I totally understand that it was some what hockey related and you are not a "gossip" poster which people here can attest to. I actually find this site for the majority is pretty damn good with people calling out trolls and people that post nothing but gossip.

HW - I do agree this has gone on enough and really no one outside of Canada is even paying attention to this so the impact on the good old WWW will be a big zilch so BB, take this for what it is worth, give up now.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

If you ask me what a big to do about fuck all...
How is what was said or spread about the two people in question ( both employed in high profile public jobs) any different than what has been said about virtually every public figure of any import in all of the national enquirer rags in the supermarkets ?
I also fail to see how a bullshit rumour on a chat site or a thousand chat sites is actually going to cause anyone real demonstratable material damage.
I mean if you don't want to be called a cocksucker or an adulterer with someone else's mother don't get a job as an NHL GM...

....Michael Jackson says hello
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I started the thread to start discussion on a topic that should concern people. But now that it has digressed perhaps it is time to lock it?
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:I started the thread to start discussion on a topic that should concern people. But now that it has digressed perhaps it is time to lock it?
Couldn't disagree more HW. All of us complied with the letter and Brian CCs request. We all thought the matter was closed and rumour dead.
Now one of us is being attacked.
This is a very important thread.
As you said, It could have been anyone of us so I think we should talk about it, not hide from it (like the cowardly mainstream sports media is doing).
Us fans take a lot of abuse, we support a game financially through tickets and merchandise yet have no say in strikes and lock-outs. We get lumped in by being called bad names because of player behaviour (cheap shots, whining, diving). Get bad reputations because of the actions of a few (Vancouver Riots). Have our cities and citizens disparaged all the time in trash talk.
And now we stand accused of starting a rumour that we did not create, only discussed.

No fucking way we are turtling on this one and I suggest we discuss (respectfully) this topic very deep and that we fully support our guy in any and all ways possible.

:mex:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have cyberly known Aaronp18 since he began posting on the other CC. We have bantered back and forth on the boards and through pm's. Over the years we have become what we call cyber friends. He strikes me as someone who has a sound hockey knowledge, an innate sense of fairness and is one of a handful of posters I would be willing to meet in the real world. I would put him in the same category as Rats19 as one of the truly nice guys who regularly post here.

I read the post that is the subject of the dispute and laughed when I read it. I saw it as over the top, camp, internet rumour that was far from being believable. It reminded me of the Mojo Nixon song "Debbie Gibson is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child" in its unbelievable audacity. On top of that, Aaronp 18 's post highlighted that it was nothing more than a silly rumour and was not to be taken seriously. The way he framed his post, he did more to dispel the rumour than to perpetuate it. In no way did it lower my impression of Brian Burke the person.

Prior to this case being filed, I had little or no opinion of Brian Burke the man. I had read stories in the media of his personal life, second marriage to a Canadian TV personality, gay son from a previous marriage and the loss of his son in a car accident. He's not the first person I know who has a second marriage, gay son or lost a son in a car accident. None of what I read made me think any better or worse of Brian Burke the person.

All of that began to change when Mr. Burke had cease and desist letters issued to various internet bulletin boards regarding the rumour and with the filing of the defamation case. Two actions brought about by Mr. Burke, I have begun to think of Mr. Burke the person in a the same way I think of Mr. Burke the hockey manager.

I support Aaronp 18.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I have known Aaronp18 in real life for 6-7 years. He is a genuine caring and dedicated to his family as anyone I have ever met. there is no team I wouldnt have him on.
I go on record supporting him and even though tough financial times are upon me, I pledge financial support if he requires it

Rats19
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have also offered financial support.

This is where the community in "online community" needs to come together.
Last edited by Topper on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Zamboni Driver wrote: What an idiot.
It was just some mindless ramblings of keyboard cretins in their basement, but now it'll be front page (hockey) news in the summer, and folks will start to believe that maybe he did have an affair. :hmmm:
Got to agree %110 with you Z D,Burke just can't stand it when he's not getting attention.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I also pledge to step up and help Aaron with legal costs associated with defending himself.

This hhas to be the biggest laugher lawsuit I've ever heard of and of all the posters in this cyber-world, he chooses to name one of the only decent and principled individuals on here :eh:

Way to go Burke.

How to lose friends and alienate people
If you need air...call it in
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

I also support Aaronp18 financially if needed. I would like to apologize to him for my previous post. I was guilty of pre-judging his post without reading it. After reading Toppers excellent post, my opinion of Burke has changed.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

What I did was simply attempt to find out if there was any truth to the rumour I had read, there was no intent to spread the rumour from my standpoint. There was no malice on my part.

When I found out that my post was in question and considered as defamatory I didn't repeat the story, it was dead to me. In all seriousness I never attempted to cause harm or pain and I obviously apologize if I did!

This is the last i will speak of this incident as i do not want to add to the issue.
I'd get a lawyer.

Then I would counter sue. By nature your online image has been harmed. Burke could have erroneously accused you and now you are a outcast.

Burke has to prove what you did harmed him in ways that are believable. It's a tough road.

In the end though lots of rumours happen about people in sports. Maybe Burke should look for the source not dipshits who are discussing some one else's nonesense.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Vpete wrote:

I'd get a lawyer.

Then I would counter sue. By nature your online image has been harmed. Burke could have erroneously accused you and now you are a outcast.

Burke has to prove what you did harmed him in ways that are believable. It's a tough road.

In the end though lots of rumours happen about people in sports. Maybe Burke should look for the source not dipshits who are discussing some one else's nonesense.

a very expensive undertaking...only the LLBs will cash out...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

How to lose friends and alienate people[/quote]

Dale Carnegies other best seller...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Vpete wrote:

I'd get a lawyer.

Hmmmm perhaps not counter sue per say but a class action defence (can you tell I am not a lawyer?! 8-) ). That way it would be all of the defendants pooling their resources together to defeat this grandstanding.
It would take a bit of doing and organizing.
Shared cost would be a big benefit with the downside of being lumped in with Laugh & Phlem fans :oops:
Doesn't mean an out of court settlement can't be reached with an official apology and explanation.
We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Anyone up for a CC musical/foodie (Topper can cook!) night out at a Vancouver venue for a legal fundraiser?
BD will be the music manager...I think I might know a band that might play it :D
I'll host 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If someone has homeowner's or tenant's insurance they have liability coverage. Liability insurance covers for defamation. They will pay for the legal fees and any award for damages. They will not pay for punitive or aggravated damages. If any of the posters are kids then their parents policies, should they have then, will also rise to the occasion. Since our friend can no longer talk about this publicly I will say I have heard through my sources that he has insurance.

As to keeping this thread open I have no problem with that if we keep it respectful. I think it is a good place to have a voice and share frustrations and discuss the case as it progresses. For all of us on any forum or social media it has an impact on future conduct.

I too have a hard time trying to imagine what type of damages Burke could possible have suffered to his reputation. It is however enough to prove that some damage was caused to trigger an award for punitive damages. And that is exactly what I think this is about. He wants to publicly expose people and then punish them financially and make an example out of them. He has said all money will go to charity so this is not about his financial gains as he will have hefty legal fees. You never recover all of your legal fees, only partial.

I think he has found a cause and he is intent on sticking with it. There may have been some posters that were very malicious and wanted to spread lies and poke fun of him. But as usual in things like this the most guilty will walk away unharmed and the innocent ones get caught up in the hype of it all. I too support our guy. These actions seem very bullying to me. If you have a reputation as a bully, if you act like a bully, sooner or later people will believe you are a bully.
The only HW the Canucks need