GDT: Canucks @ Coilers, 7pm PST - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Coilers, 7pm PST - CBC

Post by Tiger »

Not a good way to finish the regular season..
The 3rd period disaster should not have happened..
Pure panic play.. The excuse that we were playing with key
players out just doesn't wash.. For 2 periods the same players
played even up against Edmonton.. This team is fragile..
Oh well, time to lick their wounds and get ready for San Jose..
( hopefully Schneider is ready to play )
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Tiger wrote: For 2 periods the same players
played even up against Edmonton.. This team is fragile..
Really don't think they are fragile at all, after the 5 on 3 and then the Luo gift we played our 4th and 5th lines almost exclusively.

Really was no surprise considering the Oilers were treating each goal as though it was series clincher.

Screw the Oilers, they're golfing and looking, yet again, to next year.

We have bigger things to do this week!

:drink:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya, I'm not as surprised at the result as they way we lost it. Like we just gave up. My problem is that some of these 3rd and 4th liners and a couple of d'men should be playing like they deserve to play in the playoffs. Luongo was great until he wasn't.

But over all once they got behind by 2, I thought it was over so the final score became academic really. It was a nothing game that meant nothing to us and its history. If this game defines us we are in trouble but I don't think it does.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Tonight was a prime example of why San Jose was fine with losing to LA so they could face the Canucks in the first round.

I didn't expect a win, but a 7-2 shelling was unacceptable.

Is there a note of irony to be found in the fact that we just ended the season by giving up the same number of goals that we gave up in the opener?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:Tonight was a prime example of why San Jose was fine with losing to LA so they could face the Canucks in the first round.

I didn't expect a win, but a 7-2 shelling was unacceptable.

Is there a note of irony to be found in the fact that we just ended the season by giving up the same number of goals that we gave up in the opener?
Oh for sure Alanis, tons of irony in there.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Arachnid wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Luo's last game as a Canuck shows really why he is leaving the team.
Huh?

Are you stoned Reefer?

:drink:
Nah drunk, drunk on life.

When you wake up every morning and your not looking at a pine box life is always good.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I would hate to wake up any time looking at a pine box. The thought of being buried alive terrifies me.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I smell a conspiracy. They threw this game. What are the odds that the division winner loses by five goals to a team that didn't even make the cut? Somewhere someone may have cashed in big on this game.

And the game summary on Yahoo supports my suspiscion:
Vancouver had nine first-period shots to Edmonton's seven on Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oilers-end ... 06458.html

Wtf?! why were the Canucks shelling their own goalie?! :eh:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I can't believe anyone is heaping any meaning at all on this game. When I saw the lineup I presumed we'd lose, possibly badly. They almost held off a 5 on 3, Roberto flubbed it behind then net, and then they basically wore out as the Oilers got all amped up against a D core missing 3 of its top 4 guys. They threw in the towel, and to be honest, who cares?

I thought the bigger joke was the Oilers, even early on, celebrating like kids on Christmas...seriously, if MacT needed any more proof of what is wrong with this team, deep down, he got it there. I'm not saying they should not enjoy their goals/wins, but I am sure the new GM has noticed that the team has played really well in it's last two games...when it didn't matter! Great team when nothing is on the line.

AV did the right thing, rest as many as you can in an utterly meaningless game...big whoop.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Boston Canucker wrote:I can't believe anyone is heaping any meaning at all on this game.. They threw in the towel, and to be honest, who cares?

AV did the right thing, rest as many as you can in an utterly meaningless game...big whoop.
Are you kidding? AV is clueless. :(
You do know that we are trying to trade Luongo right? :eh: So far from "meaningless", by AV hanging Luongo out to dry is just reducing the return on Lu in the summer, as his save% & GAA are going in the wrong direction.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Wow, I can't believe some CC vets are panicing over a much to do about nothing game.

Really? :roll:

We had an AHL team out there and if not for an odd bounce and an over enthusiastic loser team I thought the boys did fine.

Look at the Laughs, they wanted to own the Habs at home to send a message of a possible first round meeting.
They played their A team including 'Oops, I had another stinker' starter Rimmer.
And this is the team that all the pundits pick to go deep and win it all? 8-)

Starting my post-season beard today and stocking the beer fridge for the long hall.

Fuck the regular season and the jackass league commissioner it rode in on...it's

Playoff time baby!

Bring on the Sharks!

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:I can't believe anyone is heaping any meaning at all on this game.. They threw in the towel, and to be honest, who cares?

You do know that we are trying to trade Luongo right? :eh: So far from "meaningless", by AV hanging Luongo out to dry is just reducing the return on Lu in the summer, as his save% & GAA are going in the wrong direction.
Ahhhh, he's untradable, get a bag of pucks or buy him out and move on, he had his time and his chance here.

I will be surprised, shocked even if Cory doesn't start game one.

If he doesn't then I think Luo is pro enough to step up, that's what everyone keeps saying so I'll go with that.

Guaranteed the team put the game behind them already so maybe you should too...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Arachnid wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
Ahhhh, he's untradable, get a bag of pucks or buy him out and move on, he had his time and his chance here.

Guaranteed the team put the game behind them already so maybe you should too...
Sure, if the Canucks blow through the first 2 rounds easily and nobody gets injured. :D
Otherwise, we'll all be thinking about the players that we COULD HAVE GOTTEN for Lu at the beginning of the year, and the drama still hasn't played out.

I'm happy that we are finally playong meaningful games, and I'm more optimistic than some here.
But it still doesn't change the fact that AV is a tool, and he was pissing away Lu's value for no good reason.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Zamboni Driver wrote:

So, Luongo has a a resume that lasts over 10 years - playoffs, reg season, all you want - and you are positing that there is a GM sitting around who says, "you know, despite all the evidence I have before to decide if I want Luongo I'm really not sure yet, let's see how he does in a meaningless game with half of his key starters sittin out and then I'll make up my mind...what, 7 goals, forget it, no deal, he's clearly no good!" If there is a GM who thinks this, well, he'll probably end up managing the Oilers at one point...

This game will make no difference to RL's trade value just as if he gets a shutout in Game 1 of the playoffs and then turns the job over to Cory will it make no difference. If a GM doesn't know what is getting with RL already, he's way way way the fuck out of touch.

I repeat, meaningless game, meaningless result, and AV did the right thing sitting guys, fuck it...playoffs are all that matters to this team.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:I wonder if RoyalDouche is watching this.....
You think about me too much, Mëds. I mean, I'm flattered and all, that I eat away at your brain but I wouldn't fuss to much about what I'm doing all the time.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau