Burke Sues for Defamation

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

darren
CC Veteran

Re: Burke Sues for Defamation

Post by darren »

Seems extremely dumb and thin skinned to me. What better way to call attention to the rumor and make it seem more likely to be true? And if it's true, who cares? (outside of the people in Burke's personal life (who already know one way or the other anyway)).

These anonymous posters will probably turn out to be 12 years old. :lol:
allegedly made under pseudonyms such as "Slobberface" and "Mowerman,"
:rofl:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Sportsnet and TSN are not reporting the story, it's all over the local and national tabloids, what does that say?

Even the hockey mad media wants this to die. Doesn't make any sense. Brian CC received a C & D letter and complied, we all did (can't wait for BD to go to jail for obsessing & stalking that good ol' Christain boy Booth :D ).
Wonder if it will get primetime on HNIC. Maybe Andy will do a striptease...maybe I need more coffee...

Face it guys, the only rumour we care about is whether HW dates women too (kidding!)(no I'm not)(oh yes I am!) 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sto ... ml?cmp=rss

Going after anonymous posters spreading lies about why he was fired. This could be a very interesting and precedent setting case. Good for Burkie.

Better go back and check all my posts! :eh:
What an idiot.
It was just some mindless ramblings of keyboard cretins in their basement, but now it'll be front page (hockey) news in the summer, and folks will start to believe that maybe he did have an affair. :hmmm:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Streisand Effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

:lol: Now every one will be Googling Hazel May and Jennifer Burke images.... :D
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Surprised that it was not posted there yet, I posted the link to the story at HF.

It was removed within minutes and I got a message from a mod asking me not to discuss the matter over there.

Dun Dun Dun Duuuuuuunnnnn.....
2011..... the one that got away.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Surprised that it was not posted there yet, I posted the link to the story at HF.

It was removed within minutes and I got a message from a mod asking me not to discuss the matter over there.

Dun Dun Dun Duuuuuuunnnnn.....
:lol: Well it is hockey news and fan forum news so we should be discussing it. Sticking our heads in the sand isn't going to help.

Brian CC told us to shut the fuck up about rumours and we did. Lesson learned but BB Bully is coming after us now (ass opposed to local media) and has made it front page news.

We aren't talking about the rumour (it's not even hockey related) we are talking about a law suit against hockey fans.

We are supposed to bend over and take it? I don't fucking think so.

The fans, that pay his fucking salary over the years? I am still interested to see what boards these posters post at.
Rafferty! (Mëds!) Did you complete task you corpse fucker :evil:

I will be the first to admit when I have done wrong and the first to make amends and apologize but if it gets personal then I think we should all support our CC brethren.

We have all started or shared many hockey rumours, I don't think we mean ill, we talk shit to and about each other.
It is never meant to slander someone. (some people should be shot for their trade rumours or proposals though :twisted: ).

Burke is no innocent here either.

This is being taken way out proportion.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Unfortunately my original post is gone, I never posted it as truth. I preempted the story with something to the effect of: "Has anyone else gotten this email? Pratt must be salivating!"

Can't recall exactly what I said but its very obvious that I didn't originate the story.

Guess everyone should check their posts, the Luo infidelity rumours have been posted by many. Anyone remember that rumour about Cloutier and someone else possibly hitting and killing someone with a car? Thats been posted.

Where does it stop?

Housewives are up shit creek if this suit goes anywhere.

Alright CC lawyers, who want to be my buds??

:thumbs:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:Unfortunately my original post is gone, I never posted it as truth. I preempted the story with something to the effect of: "Has anyone else gotten this email? Pratt must be salivating!"

Can't recall exactly what I said but its very obvious that I didn't originate the story.

Guess everyone should check their posts, the Luo infidelity rumours have been posted by many. Anyone remember that rumour about Cloutier and someone else possibly hitting and killing someone with a car? Thats been posted.

Where does it stop?

Housewives are up shit creek if this suit goes anywhere.

Alright CC lawyers, who want to be my buds??

:thumbs:
You're fucked mate, can I have your Quad while you're in the joint?...Rummy can give you tips how not to look like you're enjoying it when you drop the soap... :P
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arachnid wrote: You're fucked mate, can I have your Quad while you're in the joint?...Rummy can give you tips how not to look like you're enjoying it when you drop the soap... :P
I don't have a Quad, but you could pay my bills if you like!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Arachnid wrote: You're fucked mate, can I have your Quad while you're in the joint?...Rummy can give you tips how not to look like you're enjoying it when you drop the soap... :P
Listen...is that the sound of assets being moved into a spouses name?
If you need air...call it in
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
Listen...is that the sound of assets being moved into a spouses name?
:evil: Why I otta...I hope you know the name of a good lawyer...just the name, not the phone number... 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:
I meant your girlfriend :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:Hmmmmm, according this, the only way he has a chance of winning is if he can prove authorship of the rumour....

http://www.canadianadvertisinglaw.com/?p=2717

What stupid thing to do. If he let it go then the rumour dies amongst a small hockey crowd but now it will get wider circulation (and ridicule) with more press.

Well I don't think it will be too hard to get ISP addresses and identify people if he gets his court order, to be able to trace authorship. It is enough to show the person created, wrote, disseminated or repeated the allegations.

I think the Supreme Court said it was not defamation when they used a link to refer to another site that had the defamatory material but to quote the material is authoring it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... rlink.html
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arachnid wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
I meant your girlfriend :P
Suing!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Defamation is a sticky thing. You guys are right . A lot of us, myself included, do post rumours. This is a hockey message board and a lot of things get said. So where do we draw the line?

To me, my lesson is this, is for me not to post anything further on personal matters that I hear whether I believe them to be true or not, unless I KNOW them to be true and have proof of that that I can verify and post. That includes not repeating past rumours.

But it is hard to know sometimes what crosses the line. One of my big things is I don't want Brian (CC Brian, not Burke Brian) to be in a position to take a hit because of something I post. I also don't relish the idea of being outed, whether I swing both ways or not!

But as far as what Burke is doing, good for him that he takes a stand. Personally I think it is the wrong stand to take. I was once involved in a very serious case of defamation as a witness, not as a perpetrator of the defamation. It cost a guy his entire business when it was all over. The sad thing was that 99% of his business had no idea about the allegations he was alleging until his lawyer started to issue subpoenas. Once everyone heard about the stuff through the law suit it destroyed his reputation and business so in effect the law suit was what was responsible for spreading the defamatory and slanderous comments. Seems this is the same here.

Somehow I think Burke is trying to expose people more than he is trying to get compensation.
The only HW the Canucks need