GDT: Canucks vs Red Wings 19:00 PST - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Red Wings 19:00 PST - CBC

Post by Arachnid »

Lancer wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I didn't think the Canucks played that bad...as some here seem to think, although they definitely didn't play great by any stretch of the imagination. The Wings shots were mostly kept to the outside and the patchwork defense cleared the crease adequately on the rebounds. Not great, just adequate enough to squeak out the win.

Detroit were playing for their lives vs the Canucks were just playing...and it showed in the desperation of the 2 teams. It must be difficult to manufacture desperation when you know you are cool and in the dance. The Canucks took that point off of a Wings team that really needed it and they now more or less need to win out to qualify.

Andrew Alberts has played much better this year than in the past and has really amped up his strength and conditioning if I'm not mistaken. He is definitely needed in the line up against bigger teams and his play of late should land hm some ice time in the post season.

Cam Barker should be watching from above. He's brutal in his own zone.

Edler is an enigma. Great shot, lays out some massive hits when it really matters and can cover alot of ground with his strides. He is prone to inexplicable gaffs however and should definitely be paired with a stay at home type to balance out the risk and reward. That hit on Johan was huge.

Garrison is our most complete defender. Hands down.

Ballard is an asset who deserves to be in this line up as a #6 unless someone better than Barker come along. You can't question his compete level. He battles and will do what it takes to stand up for himself and his team mates.

On to the Blah-cocks now. I know where I'll be Monday at 7!
They made it in at least, now it's time to use the time left to gear up for the real season. Just get in and let the chips fall where they may.
I wish people had this attitude the past couple of seasons....for some reason everyone (including the team and management) had this dream of Presidents trophies dancing in their heads instead of preparing for the only season that matters...have we not learned? LA, Chicago, Anaheim all finished 4th overall and won it. Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, just made it in and made it to the Final....fuck the regulars, Playoffs baby, all year long! Doesn't matter your seeding anymore...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Our biggest concern right now is the health of our defence. Up front Higgins is day to day and I think once he comes back we will have 3 balanced lines and a decent 4th. Not much in the way of depth though so staying healthy will be crucial. Who knows if Ballard gets back this season. Perhaps with the fear he will be bought out this summer he doe a Willie and does not come back this year.

But on defence we are missing Bieksa and Tanev and it shows. When Kesler returned and with the addition of Roy we began to look like a decent 3 line team and solid D core. Now we are running around on the back end like crazy. If Ballard is injured for any length of time we are really screwed back there.

Maybe its time to call up one of the kids to see if he has any jam. Don't know who but anyone down on the farm shoot right? He should get 3 games to see if he can gel and well, Tanev, almost right away did.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

What happened to vandermeer, I guess he's a lefty too but he's a grislled vet maybe this could be he
Is swan song ??
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:Our biggest concern right now is the health of our defence. Up front Higgins is day to day and I think once he comes back we will have 3 balanced lines and a decent 4th. Not much in the way of depth though so staying healthy will be crucial. Who knows if Ballard gets back this season. Perhaps with the fear he will be bought out this summer he doe a Willie and does not come back this year.

But on defence we are missing Bieksa and Tanev and it shows. When Kesler returned and with the addition of Roy we began to look like a decent 3 line team and solid D core. Now we are running around on the back end like crazy. If Ballard is injured for any length of time we are really screwed back there.

Maybe its time to call up one of the kids to see if he has any jam. Don't know who but anyone down on the farm shoot right? He should get 3 games to see if he can gel and well, Tanev, almost right away did.
Damn, no matter how you feel about KB4 he brings it in big games, we would miss his hip check in the playoffs.

DDDDDDDepth.... :drink:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Arachnid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Our biggest concern right now is the health of our defence. Up front Higgins is day to day and I think once he comes back we will have 3 balanced lines and a decent 4th. Not much in the way of depth though so staying healthy will be crucial. Who knows if Ballard gets back this season. Perhaps with the fear he will be bought out this summer he doe a Willie and does not come back this year.

Damn, no matter how you feel about KB4 he brings it in big games, we would miss his hip check in the playoffs.

Contract notwithstanding, I'm glad he's on the roster vice having to fish for a miracle from Chicago. Whatever his faults, at least he gives a shot out there. Somebody just has to teach him and Zeke how to fight without messing up your back.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:

I meant Booth. His agent has confirmed that he and Booth have had discussions about him possible being bought out this summer. If that is his risk he may decide to not return until he is 100%, much like Mitchell did with his wonky head and his no extension dilemma.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Hockey Widow wrote: I meant Booth. His agent has confirmed that he and Booth have had discussions about him possible being bought out this summer. If that is his risk he may decide to not return until he is 100%, much like Mitchell did with his wonky head and his no extension dilemma.
Put himself before the team... not a very Christian thing to do! :P
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

It is a very human thing to do. Even RD would approve.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

I meant Booth. His agent has confirmed that he and Booth have had discussions about him possible being bought out this summer. If that is his risk he may decide to not return until he is 100%, much like Mitchell did with his wonky head and his no extension dilemma.
:evil:

OK, same thing still applies, we need big bodies in the playoffs, whether he scores or not, you don't to be a has-been jesus hating fucktard to figure that one out.... 8-)
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Arachnid wrote: Damn, no matter how you feel about KB4 he brings it in big games, we would miss his hip check in the playoffs.

Ballard was terrible during our 2011 cup run. Almost unplayable.

He may "battle hard" but he mostly loses.
I think a Booth buy out is less then 50/50. However if he sits out it becomes a foregone conclusion.

I'm still a bit shocked at what Mitchell is doing in LA. Funny how some guys gets rep's as a tough, team first, guy but in reality they are self centered douche baggs.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Ballard was terrible during our 2011 cup run. Almost unplayable.

He may "battle hard" but he mostly loses.

I'm still a bit shocked at what Mitchell is doing in LA. Funny how some guys gets rep's as a tough, team first, guy but in reality they are self centered douche baggs.
Not many players would be good with what AV did to Ballard.

Agree about Mitchell, I think this is a problem with a lot of sports people who think they are above others. Look at Lance A, what a piece of work he turned out to be.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Potatoe1 wrote: Ballard was terrible during our 2011 cup run. Almost unplayable.
AV thought highly of him...put him up on the top defensive pairing after Rome got suspended and Hammer when down.

:drink:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Potatoe1 wrote: I'm still a bit shocked at what Mitchell is doing in LA. Funny how some guys gets rep's as a tough, team first, guy but in reality they are self centered douche baggs.
Maybe he hates sticking up for even bigger Douche Bags in Drew "Crybaby" Doughty, Dustin "Turtle after I cheap shot your star" Brown and Mike "I give it a good 10%" Richards.

I guess his time in VCR ended with bitterness but until this point, had anyone ever heard anything negative about him? HW?
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: I'm still a bit shocked at what Mitchell is doing in LA. Funny how some guys gets rep's as a tough, team first, guy but in reality they are self centered douche baggs.
Maybe he hates sticking up for even bigger Douche Bags in Drew "Crybaby" Doughty, Dustin "Turtle after I cheap shot your star" Brown and Mike "I give it a good 10%" Richards.

I guess his time in VCR ended with bitterness but until this point, had anyone ever heard anything negative about him? HW?

No never heard anything negative about him as a person or player or team mates. It all started when Canuck doctors felt he was cleared to play and he said he wasn't and then his doctors said he was still experiencing post concussion symptoms. Which I do believe is true. But he was alleged to have told some teammates that he would not return unless 100% and would not be 100% unless he had an extension. If hew was going to risk his career he wanted an extension.

So while I fully believe he did suffer a concussion and I believe that early on his symptoms were pretty bad, one source told me early on he was fucked and may not make it back, he did seem to improve significantly but then the talk of an extension began. My take, he did have a nasty one and was recovering and was willing to come back for the playoffs, even though he was not fully recovered, if the Canucks would give him his extension. Otherwise he was going to sit out as long as he needed to, to fully recover. I don't blame him for that one. If he was going to risk a more serious injury in trying to help the team he wanted protection.

His current situation I don't understand, unless it is about prolonging his career another 5-6 year???
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I see. I liked Willie as a player(other than not getting the damn puck out past Havlat....Fuck :evil: ) and he always appeared to be a good team mate...at least from a detached fans perspective. I can see a guy wanting that security before dressing in the playoffs but leaking that sensitive of info somehow always seemed a bit too fishy to me.

I suppose when we see a smiling, friendly guy on camera it isn't always the case in the real world. Hope I'm wrong
If you need air...call it in