Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by tantalum »

Corrado call up was made official.

He will be playing alongside Edler tonight. Alberts-Barker disaster pairing the third pairing. Bieksa, Tanev and Ballard all injured.

in other lineup news Higgins and Sestito in. Weise and Pinnizotto out.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

tantalum wrote:Corrado call up was made official.

He will be playing alongside Edler tonight. Alberts-Barker disaster pairing the third pairing. Bieksa, Tanev and Ballard all injured.

in other lineup news Higgins and Sestito in. Weise and Pinnizotto out.
Wholly honey wheat on on an English Muffin Batman, that's a (sic) D line-up :wow:

Talk about baptism by fire, Edler is not in top form and we play the Hawks?! Maybe they are resting too and Corrado won't get crunched into the boards too much... :look:

I like Sestito in though, let's see that 'A'hole Keith take a cheap shot at the Sedins now...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arachnid wrote: I like Sestito in though, let's see that 'A'hole Keith take a cheap shot at the Sedins now...
I'd play Kassian alongside the twins for these last three games just for this reason.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Not too worried about Ballard being OUT :) Be good to see what Corrado brings to the table.
Tanev and Bieksa out is bad news.. Using Kassian with the Sedins???? means no defensive forwards or speed on the #1 line.. :(
Bolland line will have a field day.. They outplay the Sedins every year since 2010 :(..
So just for shits and giggles ( giggles supplied by AV ) I would like to see this lineup..

1 Sedin Sedin Hansen ( add Raymond for PP ) call it the "wimp line " but at least Raymond is good defensively..
2 Higgins Kesler Burrows (add Roy for PP ) Second line becomes our #1 line ..
3 Raymond Roy Kassian
4 Weiss Lapierre Sestito
Dmen for PP..
#1 Edler Hamhuis
#2 Garrison Barker (don't like Barker but no Bieksa or Tanev and Barker at least has a better shot than Alberts, )
5 and 6 .. Corrado/Alberts
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Arachnid wrote: I like Sestito in though, let's see that 'A'hole Keith take a cheap shot at the Sedins now...
I'd play Kassian alongside the twins for these last three games just for this reason.
For sure, we didn't have our own big assholes last year and we paid for it BEFORE the playoffs, never again :twisted:

Instead we had yappy dogs like Burrows, Kesler and Lapierre

Nice to see Alberts being a big jerk sometimes too, some fans don't recognize that but it's a fact, Jack!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The one thing Alberts does well is he when he hits he hits to hurt.

I think it was Price tweeting that Sestito in and sitting Weise means the canucks were message sending to Weise. At least how I read it. The message really is to the Hawks and that message is "don't fuck with us tonight."
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

@Ryan_Kesler: Man who thinks big positive can conquer world!Man who thinks small will always b little fish in big pond & probably has small dick #dadquote

@strombone1: @Ryan_Kesler sorry about your penis.......
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

tantalum wrote:@Ryan_Kesler: Man who thinks big positive can conquer world!Man who thinks small will always b little fish in big pond & probably has small dick #dadquote

@strombone1: @Ryan_Kesler sorry about your penis.......
Ever heard of Shrinkage Luongo? He's on the ice, it must be freezing.

2011..... the one that got away.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Would the Canucks burn a year of Corrado's entry level contract if he plays 4 regular season games + 2 playoffs games? I am not sure whether the 5 games rule applies to playoffs or not. :?:
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Jovocop wrote:Would the Canucks burn a year of Corrado's entry level contract if he plays 4 regular season games + 2 playoffs games? I am not sure whether the 5 games rule applies to playoffs or not. :?:
There is only three games left... but interesting question.
2011..... the one that got away.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Would the Canucks burn a year of Corrado's entry level contract if he plays 4 regular season games + 2 playoffs games? I am not sure whether the 5 games rule applies to playoffs or not. :?:
There is only three games left... but interesting question.
Sorry, I kept thinking there are four games left.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Tiger wrote:Not too worried about Ballard being OUT :) Be good to see what Corrado brings to the table.
Tanev and Bieksa out is bad news.. Using Kassian with the Sedins???? means no defensive forwards or speed on the #1 line.. :(
Bolland line will have a field day.. They outplay the Sedins every year since 2010 :(..
So just for shits and giggles ( giggles supplied by AV ) I would like to see this lineup..

1 Sedin Sedin Hansen ( add Raymond for PP ) call it the "wimp line " but at least Raymond is good defensively..
2 Higgins Kesler Burrows (add Roy for PP ) Second line becomes our #1 line ..
3 Raymond Roy Kassian
4 Weiss Lapierre Sestito
Dmen for PP..
#1 Edler Hamhuis
#2 Garrison Barker (don't like Barker but no Bieksa or Tanev and Barker at least has a better shot than Alberts, )
5 and 6 .. Corrado/Alberts
The problem with putting somebody fast on with the Sedins is that they can't keep up with him. Burrows is quicker than them, but he's no speedster. The game that Hank and Danny play is better suited to guys like Burrows or big bodies like Kassian.

Henrik actually did a very good job of back checking on more than one occasion tonight against Chicago.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

tantalum wrote:The one thing Alberts does well is he when he hits he hits to hurt.
And he only knows how to do one thing when someone is standing in front of the net after a shot on net. Take the body. He attempts to push someone away, take down the player, or wrap him up in a choke hold every single time. I don't think he even attempts to tie up the stick.
It is my understanding that playoff games do count under the 5 games rule because "NHL Games" includes playoff games, at least under the old CBA.
Mëds wrote: The problem with putting somebody fast on with the Sedins is that they can't keep up with him. Burrows is quicker than them, but he's no speedster. The game that Hank and Danny play is better suited to guys like Burrows or big bodies like Kassian.
I don't think it's about the Sedins not being able to keep up. It's Sedins' line and the Sedins generate most of their offense inside the opposition's blueline. Every now and then, the Sedins can spring someone on a breakaway but the opportunity has to be there. The ability to score off breakaways simply ranks pretty low on the skill requirements to be Sedins' winger. The Sedins slow the game down. The Sedins need someone with soft hands and an ability to score from in close: A Tim Kerr more than a Brett Hull. Good hockey sense and one touch skills are bonuses. That's why Burrows remains the best option and Kassian has had success with the Sedins. Burrows is a smart hockey player who knows how to play off of the Sedins. You don't see Burrows holding on the puck for too long or skating the puck away from the net only to unleash a low percentage wrist shot like a Mason Raymond would. No. Burrows generally only touches the puck long enough to give it back to the Sedins or get a shot off. Rest of the time Burrows looks for openings where he can tip or one time the puck into the net. Guys who need to touch the puck or do their best work with the puck on their sticks don't work well with the Sedins.

You will see that Kassian sometimes hangs onto the puck too long when playing with the Sedins, but he likes to pass and has the soft hands and puck protection skills to work with the Sedins. Simply being a big body isn't enough, otherwise guys like Pyatt and Bernier would have had more success. Kassian has the ability to hold onto the puck just long enough to dump the puck back to the Sedins and the ability to one-time shots into the net from in close. I think Kassian will be even better once he becomes more confidence and becomes a more willing shooter.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

FAN wrote:I don't think it's about the Sedins not being able to keep up. It's Sedins' line and the Sedins generate most of their offense inside the opposition's blueline.
Isn't all offense - save the odd Lidstrom slap shot from centre - generated inside the opposition's blueline? :look:
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

dbr wrote: Isn't all offense - save the odd Lidstrom slap shot from centre - generated inside the opposition's blueline? :look:
That depends. Would you consider a stretch pass from own blueline that results in a breakaway goal or pass from neutral zone that results in a scoring chance and goal "offense generated inside the opposition's blueline?"