Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Tiger wrote: So by your thoughts Schneider should not be #1 on the Canucks?? he has never played a full season as a starter yet ..

Schneider played 60 games with the Moose in 09-10. Reimer hasn't played 60 since Junior.

He was a backup to Joey MacDonald in 2009-10 (AHL), went in when Giguere got hurt in the second half of 2010-2011. Injured a couple times in 2011-12, and injured again this year. He's not the most durable (MCL, Whiplash, "Upper Body", Ankle injuries) goalie, and I can't see that lasting 60+ games. He's playing well this year, but was banged up and miserable last year.

A 3.10 GAA in 34 games las season and you're actually going to compare him to Schneider (1.97 GAA in 33 games)?

This is why I don't want to anoint Reimer a better goalie than Luongo (laughable) or even Schneider's equal. He's playing well, but to be a true Number 1 in this league you need consistency and durability. Reimer has yet to prove either.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tiger wrote: So by your thoughts Schneider should not be #1 on the Canucks?? he has never played a full season as a starter yet ..

Schneider played 60 games with the Moose in 09-10. Reimer hasn't played 60 since Junior.

He was a backup to Joey MacDonald in 2009-10 (AHL), went in when Giguere got hurt in the second half of 2010-2011. Injured a couple times in 2011-12, and injured again this year. He's not the most durable (MCL, Whiplash, "Upper Body", Ankle injuries) goalie, and I can't see that lasting 60+ games. He's playing well this year, but was banged up and miserable last year.

A 3.10 GAA in 34 games las season and you're actually going to compare him to Schneider (1.97 GAA in 33 games)?

This is why I don't want to anoint Reimer a better goalie than Luongo (laughable) or even Schneider's equal. He's playing well, but to be a true Number 1 in this league you need consistency and durability. Reimer has yet to prove either.

Reimer looks good again tonight.

I understand it's early to anoint him anything, but it's also too early to say he can't be a #1 goalie and go find someone else.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reimer can be a number one and its too early to go find someone else.

Under Nonis he needs at least 4 years before any prognosis can be given, as it should be with all young players with potential and he is simply amazing so far this year, his numbers are stellar, or they would be if he had a decent team in front of him and he has the leaves firmly planted in a playoff spot and once the playoffs start I expect a Jonathan Quick type performance from him and after all he hasn't been around long enough for anyone to say he isn't a number one, or won't be a NHL number one at some point in the future which might be now if he has a deep playoff run and even if he doesn't it won't be his fault and Luongo would not have helped even if it is weak goaltending that gets them tossed and if they go deep it will because Reimer is a true number one and no one can offer an opinion otherwise because he is young and he hasn't had enough games for anyone to offer a meaningful opinion and besides Nonis is confident even if Randy says their biggest need is NHL calibre goaltending but he is a coach so what does he know because Nonis is a GM and he knows goalies, just ask Vancouver where he recognized our goaltending was a problem so he went out and got Luongo but wait he doesn't need Luongo now because he has a horrible contract that will cripple the team for years and besides he is happy with his current duo and know one can say otherwise because it is too early in Reimer's career to draw any meaningful comparison to anyone other than to say he is as good as Luongo who the leaves don't need so there.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

BigTuna wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

I understand it's early to anoint him anything, but it's also too early to say he can't be a #1 goalie and go find someone else.
Yeah well, we have a Olympic Gold medal winning proven regular season winning vet with us...come playoff time it's a whooooooole different puckgame...that's the real taste test Charlie...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Reimer can be a number one and its too early to go find someone else.

Under Nonis he needs at least 4 years before any prognosis can be given, as it should be with all young players with potential and he is simply amazing so far this year, his numbers are stellar, or they would be if he had a decent team in front of him and he has the leaves firmly planted in a playoff spot and once the playoffs start I expect a Jonathan Quick type performance from him and after all he hasn't been around long enough for anyone to say he isn't a number one, or won't be a NHL number one at some point in the future which might be now if he has a deep playoff run and even if he doesn't it won't be his fault and Luongo would not have helped even if it is weak goaltending that gets them tossed and if they go deep it will because Reimer is a true number one and no one can offer an opinion otherwise because he is young and he hasn't had enough games for anyone to offer a meaningful opinion and besides Nonis is confident even if Randy says their biggest need is NHL calibre goaltending but he is a coach so what does he know because Nonis is a GM and he knows goalies, just ask Vancouver where he recognized our goaltending was a problem so he went out and got Luongo but wait he doesn't need Luongo now because he has a horrible contract that will cripple the team for years and besides he is happy with his current duo and know one can say otherwise because it is too early in Reimer's career to draw any meaningful comparison to anyone other than to say he is as good as Luongo who the leaves don't need so there.
:lol: Exactly!!

Look, Reimer may or may not be a number 1 goalie. He's not as good as Luongo right now, because he lets in more goals per game. And he might not be better than him in the future. I'd be willing to put money on him not having a better career. The leaves are taking a risk here. He hasn't been durable. He hasn't played playoff hockey since the ECHL. He's doing well this year, but so are the leaves. Is it because of Reimer, in spite of him, in tandem? The leaves obviously felt their goaltending could use upgrading. Most would agree. If the playoffs started today, they'd go up against Boston. Tuukka Rask could be up for a Vezina this season. Fleury, Price, Lundvist, and Anderson are all more experienced playoff goalies, all have better GAA this season.

Ultimately, if TO passed up on Lou for what was offered (their backup and a couple picks), there's no excuse for that.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reimer is capable of stealing a game here and there but his numbers would indicate that the leaves nee4d to be able to score 4 or more goals to win. In the playoffs that could be tricky.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

BigTuna wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Reiner looked like shit tonight - not sure what game you were watching. The Stepan goal and Nash goals were soft. I'm not a Leaf or Reimer hater but let's call a damn spade a spade.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Does it get any gayer?
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

[quote="Hockey Widow"All of these contracts should have been grandfathered in.[/quote]
It still astounds me that they were not.

Luongo's deal was incredible under the old CBA. So incredible that the league had to move the goal posts. Not grandfathering these deals is bizarre.

Possibly the preponderance of high profile, high dollar deals prior to the lockout made grandfathering unpalatable to the revenue charity teams.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

What's this I hear about mike smith in pheonix 7 mil per over 7 years?
Lets hope he gets it cause it'll make Luongo's deal look more palatable.

It's only two years longer and 2 million less per year..
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ukcanuck wrote:What's this I hear about mike smith in pheonix 7 mil per over 7 years?

Who needs Mike Smith when you have Reimer? :lol:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ukcanuck wrote:What's this I hear about mike smith in Phoenix 7 mil per over 7 years?

If he stays with Phoenix he can get 8 years.

Phoenix cannot let him go. No matter where the team plays they need Smith. If he bolts ( no pun intended, wait didn't they have him) then Phoenix had better hope they can get another good goalie or they will be bottom feeders for some time.

But ya, rumours are he wants 6-7 million per, which by the way is the going rate for a number one, unless it is Luongo then it is only 5.3
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Topper wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:All of these contracts should have been grandfathered in.
It still astounds me that they were not.

Luongo's deal was incredible under the old CBA. So incredible that the league had to move the goal posts. Not grandfathering these deals is bizarre.

Possibly the preponderance of high profile, high dollar deals prior to the lockout made grandfathering unpalatable to the revenue charity teams.
Or even if they had simply counted the cap hit as the full salary for deals over 8 years, (going forward), so Luongo's cap would be 6.7, not 5.3.
Better that than to take a 6 or 7 mil recapture penalty later
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Jovocop wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:What's this I hear about mike smith in pheonix 7 mil per over 7 years?

Let's see Mike Smith in a non-trap system.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

BigTuna wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

Let's see Mike Smith in a non-trap system.
That wouldn't stop the Cheezeburglar crack-lickers in the Toronto media frothing with "OMFG-He's the answer-The Guy The leaves Need-He's Let His Agent's Dog's Manicurist Know he would Secretly LOVE to Play for Taranna-Totally Worth the Money-SOOOO Much Better Option than Luongo and his Anti-Christ Contract-Reimer Needs a Mentor" crap if Smith became a UFA, and we all know the never-been-outta-the-416/905-except-to-go-to-Cancun-but-I'm sofisticated crew of homers will lap it like it were Dreger's post-Nonis interview ass-drippings.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.