Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Per » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:06 am

Meds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:I can sum up my opinion of the Roy trade as follows:

Better than doing nothing.

S_C



I'm one of those that see Brendan Morrison when I see Roy. Mind you it has only been one game.


Morrison was more of a passenger on the WCE line. Whenever Bert or Naslund missed a game the line suffered. Roy has better hands, is a bit quicker, passes better, and I think has a better shot. I see Roy being a guy that instantly makes Higgins, Hansen, Raymond and Kassian, better players and threats to score. Morrison wasn't that kind of player.


I beg to differ. At their peak, the WCE was the best scoring line in the NHL. Now, during the 04/05 lockout, Brendan just happened to be on the best scoring line in the SEL, alongside Mike Knuble and Christian Huselius. Mind you, Näslund, the Sedins, Zetterberg, Hossa, Forsberg... There were a lot of good players there, but once again Morrison just happens to be on the best scoring line of the league.

In my opinion BMo has been severly underrarted as a player. He's one of those that makes those around him shine, but dorsn't get the credit he himself deserves. If Roy is anything like BMo, this was a huge pickup.

And it's really no coincidence that the Sedins play better after he joined the team. Most of this season the Canucks have been a one line team. The opponents have been able to focus on containg the twins. Now that we have a legitimate second line, they have to start paying attention to themas well, which means the pressure eases up on the twins and they can start strutting their stuff.
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Aaronp18 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 am

Watched a bit of Afterhours las night and I definitely got the impression that he won't be signing an extension with the Canucks.

His family in Ottawa seemed like a really big factor so I'd imagine he signs back there. The Laughs is what I figure.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:05 am

Aaronp18 wrote:Watched a bit of Afterhours las night and I definitely got the impression that he won't be signing an extension with the Canucks.

His family in Ottawa seemed like a really big factor so I'd imagine he signs back there. The Laughs is what I figure.

He's from Ottawa...no chance he wants to tickle the blowhole. I'd bet the Sens
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 am

Aaronp18 wrote:Watched a bit of Afterhours las night and I definitely got the impression that he won't be signing an extension with the Canucks.

His family in Ottawa seemed like a really big factor so I'd imagine he signs back there. The Laughs is what I figure.


I got that feeling too. Although, it's very early to say. A deep run, some more time to gel, develop some friendships, win some hockey games etc. He might decide Vancouver is where he wants to be.

OTOH, if an eastern team wants to blow their wad on him that's fine. I doubt he's comfortable playing a 3rd line role here once Kesler is healthy, and there's zero chance we get him for 3rd line C money.

We'll see. He's worth that price as a rental. Chances are we can re-acquire picks at the draft in the Luongo deal, and use trades or UFA to pick up a more traditional checking centre.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4034
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby sagebrush » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 am

Wouldn't read too much into that (Afterhours Roy interview).

Higgins (off season home in NY) was non-committal/evasive in interviews after he was acquired by the Canucks in 2011. Expect the Canucks cap situation, & Roy's demands/performance to tell the story. We can hope, even if it is slim.
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby RoyalDude » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 am

Maybe him and his agent recognize the fact that the Canucks are not very well positioned to sign Roy due to Cap constraints with the current payroll heading into next season.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4337
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Aaronp18 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:16 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Watched a bit of Afterhours las night and I definitely got the impression that he won't be signing an extension with the Canucks.

His family in Ottawa seemed like a really big factor so I'd imagine he signs back there. The Laughs is what I figure.

He's from Ottawa...no chance he wants to tickle the blowhole. I'd bet the Sens


But with Spezza, Turis and now Conacher all centers I don't know I the Sens have the roster spot for him. Their needs are different.

TO needs a centre. And can overpay for one. They'd likely be more than happy to give Roy a $5-6M per year deal. That why I'm thinking the Laughs.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 am

RoyalDude wrote:Maybe him and his agent recognize the fact that the Canucks are not very well positioned to sign Roy due to Cap constraints with the current payroll heading into next season.


Yes because the payroll for next season is written in stone. The Canucks will be in cap hell in the summer and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it . They are fucked. The Sedins are closing in on 40, Schneider will likely get hurt, Kassian is an alcoholic, Kesler will get hurt again, Garrison is a bum, Hamhuis is going to turn 37, Hansen will bolt to FA, Higgins is an overpaid slug, Bieksa will get punched out and concussed, Jensen will be a bust, Luongo will have to be bought out, Gillis is an idiot. Did I do it right ??

THIS TEAM IS FUCKED!!!!!!!!!
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3031
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby RoyalDude » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Maybe him and his agent recognize the fact that the Canucks are not very well positioned to sign Roy due to Cap constraints with the current payroll heading into next season.


Yes because the payroll for next season is written in stone. The Canucks will be in cap hell in the summer and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it . They are fucked. The Sedins are closing in on 40, Schneider will likely get hurt, Kassian is an alcoholic, Kesler will get hurt again, Garrison is a bum, Hamhuis is going to turn 37, Hansen will bolt to FA, Higgins is an overpaid slug, Bieksa will get punched out and concussed, Jensen will be a bust, Luongo will have to be bought out, Gillis is an idiot. Did I do it right ??

THIS TEAM IS FUCKED!!!!!!!!!


LOL...pretty close Blob...ya just have to stick to those guns over the long haul.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4337
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Cookie La Rue » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:38 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Maybe him and his agent recognize the fact that the Canucks are not very well positioned to sign Roy due to Cap constraints with the current payroll heading into next season.


Yes because the payroll for next season is written in stone. The Canucks will be in cap hell in the summer and there isn't a damn thing they can do about it . They are fucked. The Sedins are closing in on 40, Schneider will likely get hurt, Kassian is an alcoholic, Kesler will get hurt again, Garrison is a bum, Hamhuis is going to turn 37, Hansen will bolt to FA, Higgins is an overpaid slug, Bieksa will get punched out and concussed, Jensen will be a bust, Luongo will have to be bought out, Gillis is an idiot. Did I do it right ??

THIS TEAM IS FUCKED!!!!!!!!!

:lol: and my feet are freezing, this team is fucked..... :rofl:

Alcoholics, sluts and old busts....more to say?
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby RoyalDude » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:44 am

Just don't see the sense in signing a small centre like Roy when you have a similar player in Schroeder in the system who could be as good as Roy one day and is a helluva lot cheaper, that is, unless Roy really shines here, then I could see Gillis and crew trying to make room for him, but that may be a difficult task. If they do sign Roy then I imagine Schroeder becomes available on the trade market? Two centre's at 5'-9"? Not so sure about that.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4337
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Aaronp18 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:44 am

Aaronp18 wrote:But with Spezza, Turis and now Conacher all centers I don't know I the Sens have the roster spot for him. Their needs are different.

TO needs a centre. And can overpay for one. They'd likely be more than happy to give Roy a $5-6M per year deal. That why I'm thinking the Laughs.


Although seems Conacher is a winger looking at other sources. So he may fit in Ottawas plans, but I still think TO will pay more as Roy will be one of the very few centres on the open market this summer.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 am

Per wrote:

In my opinion BMo has been severly overrated as a player.


I agree
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3031
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 am

Cookie La Rue wrote:....more to say?

David Booth has only scored 1 empty net goal and loves Jesus
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Postby Uncle dans leg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:49 am

Aaronp18 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:But with Spezza, Turis and now Conacher all centers I don't know I the Sens have the roster spot for him. Their needs are different.

TO needs a centre. And can overpay for one. They'd likely be more than happy to give Roy a $5-6M per year deal. That why I'm thinking the Laughs.


Although seems Conacher is a winger looking at other sources. So he may fit in Ottawas plans, but I still think TO will pay more as Roy will be one of the very few centres on the open market this summer.

Considering Kesler and his recent "injury prone" history...maybe he re-signs with a team that showed enough interest to actually give up assets in acquiring him? Maybe he see the Laffs as the chicken shit outfit that they are and would rather be part of a winner than try to bring a bottom feeder out of the mud under the guidance of Bobandy Nonis...
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aisha, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Gurkha, Lancer, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests