Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arachnid wrote: why didn't you just link to my post then Mr. Arseson18 :hmmm:
Well the purpose of my post wasn't to post the video but rather to show Reefer how to embed images.

....or was it to steal credit and get HW to like me better?? :devil:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Well the purpose of my post wasn't to post the video but rather to show Reefer how to embed images.

Don't you have a train to catch? :evil:

HW only likes guys that with class and I am nothing but*

*when teaching
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:That was so cool. I like that they taped that.
I already posted that in the trade thread :evil:

AirHead81 is slow and frigid :P

Slow is good! But what you have is special too.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Aaronp18 wrote:

I love all my boys the same.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I can sum up my opinion of the Roy trade as follows:

Better than doing nothing.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Southern_Canuck wrote:I can sum up my opinion of the Roy trade as follows:

S_C

I'm one of those that see Brendan Morrison when I see Roy. Mind you it has only been one game.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm one of those that see Brendan Morrison when I see Roy. Mind you it has only been one game.
In his first game, he consistently tried to create opportunities off of the rush, in fact even tried to force passes when he would have been better off to cycle... I wonder if that's his style? Very opposite of the Sedins. I guess we'll see.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I'm one of those that see Brendan Morrison when I see Roy. Mind you it has only been one game.
In his first game, he consistently tried to create opportunities off of the rush, in fact even tried to force passes when he would have been better off to cycle... I wonder if that's his style? Very opposite of the Sedins. I guess we'll see.

S_C
I think this is EXACTLY what the Canucks need. Too much cycle. Start forcing opponents to guess wether we attack the net off the rush, instead of constantly skating down the wall or doing the chip/chase.

I'm thinking a line like Booth-Roy-Raymond could score some great goals using speed off the rush (Booth crashing the net, of course).
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think it's an OK transaction, it will be interesting to see how much of a difference he will make over similar current Canuck - Jordan Schroeder.

He definitely is not worth the $5 - $6 million he thinks he will get this summer. Oh well, at least we will get a fleeting glimpse of him in a Canuck uni before we go back to fellow 5'-9"er Schroeder.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
I'm thinking a line like Booth-Roy-Raymond could score some great goals using speed off the rush (Booth crashing the net, of course).
Personally, I think we should put Raymond back with Kesler once both are healthy, there was once a time when Kesler and Raymond had great chemistry and I think that could spark again with Raymond playing good hockey again. Kesler, Booth and Raymond may actually work cause Raymond is a heads up play making winger and might be the catalyst to gel'ing Kesler with Booth as the lines distributor. That is, if Booth ever gets healthy

I like the line of Higgins, Roy and Hansen

Put Burr back with the Hank and Dank.

Put Kassian with Weise and Lappiere for the playoffs as your crash and bang line.

park Sestito and Pinner in the box
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Personally, I think we should put Raymond back with Kesler once both are healthy, there was once a time when Kesler and Raymond had great chemistry and I think that could spark again with Raymond playing good hockey again.

Likely scenario.
RoyalDude wrote:Kesler, Booth and Raymond may actually work cause Raymond is a heads up play making winger and might be the catalyst to gel'ing Kesler with Booth as the lines distributor. That is, if Booth ever gets healthy

Disagree. I do not want to see the old Raymond skating around the left wing "making plays" only to get squished like a bug on a windshield on the right boards and causing a turnover. He's successful because he is once again using his speed to take pucks with in the neutral zone then realeasing a very underrated shot or making a simple pass. He is picking and popping into open spots in the offensive zone for passes... and shooting it. Any time he starts hogging the puck and pounding into the ice, spinning and juking, the whole line suffers.

Kesler also needs to stop the puck-hogging and try to make some plays for his wingers or that line is going nowhere.

Booth? Let him just skate with his head down and drive the net. Don't expect any kind of cycling from that guy. Shit, put Ballard in there and it might work out better.
RoyalDude wrote:I like the line of Higgins, Roy and Hansen

Put Burr back with the Hank and Dank.

Put Kassian with Weise and Lappiere for the playoffs as your crash and bang line.

park Sestito and Pinner in the box
Yup.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:

S_C

I'm one of those that see Brendan Morrison when I see Roy. Mind you it has only been one game.
Morrison was more of a passenger on the WCE line. Whenever Bert or Naslund missed a game the line suffered. Roy has better hands, is a bit quicker, passes better, and I think has a better shot. I see Roy being a guy that instantly makes Higgins, Hansen, Raymond and Kassian, better players and threats to score. Morrison wasn't that kind of player.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

S_C

Morrison was more of a passenger on the WCE line. Whenever Bert or Naslund missed a game the line suffered. Roy has better hands, is a bit quicker, passes better, and I think has a better shot. I see Roy being a guy that instantly makes Higgins, Hansen, Raymond and Kassian, better players and threats to score. Morrison wasn't that kind of player.
I beg to differ. At their peak, the WCE was the best scoring line in the NHL. Now, during the 04/05 lockout, Brendan just happened to be on the best scoring line in the SEL, alongside Mike Knuble and Christian Huselius. Mind you, Näslund, the Sedins, Zetterberg, Hossa, Forsberg... There were a lot of good players there, but once again Morrison just happens to be on the best scoring line of the league.

In my opinion BMo has been severly underrarted as a player. He's one of those that makes those around him shine, but dorsn't get the credit he himself deserves. If Roy is anything like BMo, this was a huge pickup.

And it's really no coincidence that the Sedins play better after he joined the team. Most of this season the Canucks have been a one line team. The opponents have been able to focus on containg the twins. Now that we have a legitimate second line, they have to start paying attention to themas well, which means the pressure eases up on the twins and they can start strutting their stuff.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Watched a bit of Afterhours las night and I definitely got the impression that he won't be signing an extension with the Canucks.

His family in Ottawa seemed like a really big factor so I'd imagine he signs back there. The Laughs is what I figure.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote:Watched a bit of Afterhours las night and I definitely got the impression that he won't be signing an extension with the Canucks.

His family in Ottawa seemed like a really big factor so I'd imagine he signs back there. The Laughs is what I figure.
He's from Ottawa...no chance he wants to tickle the blowhole. I'd bet the Sens
If you need air...call it in