Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:06 am

ukcanuck wrote:I'm still confident that a goalie who virtually guarantees a playoff spot will find a home for more than a bag of pucks and a roll of tape.


Yep. Does Dave "Double Cheese Please" Nonis really think either of his guys are capable of starting 50+ games? Reimer's never played 40 (but he did play 60 in junior HA HA!)
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Arachnid » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:06 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:
Nonis better hope for a) a playoff seed and b) a decent showing between the pipes or else Leaf nation will be ALL Over mgmt for failing to upgrade the goaltending.


BikerDudes unnatural and unhealthy hate-on for GMMG


HW eloquent *sighs* reply


That the bottom line isn't it. This comparison of dick size despite your hand size....it's a professional sports league, what is Nonis? 7 Years old in the school yard? Suck it up. Do what's right for your team not some personal vendetta. He was supposed to even like Luo...

I geuss time will tell;

1. How deep will the TML go in the playoffs?
2. How will thier dynamic duo in goal perform under pressure?
3. What will happen with Luo in the off-season?

I think we should wait until training camp and see what's what.

If the Fates of PuckLuck favours the Canucks then BD I think you should do the honourable thing and commit message board Seppuku...

If the Nonuts Laughs have the last then you get to go on a date with highly esteemed Widow du Hockey.

It's a win/win situation :D
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5224
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:07 am

ukcanuck wrote:
I'm still confident that a goalie who virtually guarantees a playoff spot will find a home for more than a bag of pucks and a roll of tape.


Wishful thinking. Why would any GM, knowing the wall Gillis will be up against this summer, throw a bouquet of roses at GIllis for Luongo that is better than what Gillis was willing to let Lou go for to the Leafs? Ain't no GM out there is going to want to do Gillis a favor and take a contract like that on a 34 year old goalie for parts that are better than what Gillis was willing to let him go for. In fact it will be worse, to the point that he may have to waive him hoping a team takes him or that he has to park him in the minors, or take a bad contract back or take on some of the contract itself. Either way, Luongo has been nothing but a class act professional in all of this, it's time for Gillis to return the favor and just find a fucking home for him.

It's not looking good for the apparent Moneyball genius.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:13 am

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
I'm still confident that a goalie who virtually guarantees a playoff spot will find a home for more than a bag of pucks and a roll of tape.


Wishful thinking. Why would any GM, knowing the wall Gillis will be up against this summer, throw a bouquet of roses at GIllis for Luongo that is better than what Gillis was willing to let Lou go for to the Leafs? Ain't no GM out there is going to want to do Gillis a favor and take a contract like that on a 34 year old goalie for parts that are better than what Gillis was willing to let him go for. In fact it will be worse, to the point that he may have to waive him hoping a team takes him or that he has to park him in the minors, or take a bad contract back or take on some of the contract itself.

It's not looking good for the apparent Moneyball genius.


You've been watching too much Dreger.

Image

More buyers in the summer, more teams re-tooling, more competition in the new divisions, a real 82 game season. The deadline was always a bad time to trade Luongo. We didn't have the option to bring back any salary, we needed to add a backup goalie, there's a time-limit to beat... Gillis will find a better deal in the summer.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4355
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:14 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
I'm still confident that a goalie who virtually guarantees a playoff spot will find a home for more than a bag of pucks and a roll of tape.


Wishful thinking. Why would any GM, knowing the wall Gillis will be up against this summer, throw a bouquet of roses at GIllis for Luongo that is better than what Gillis was willing to let Lou go for to the Leafs? Ain't no GM out there is going to want to do Gillis a favor and take a contract like that on a 34 year old goalie for parts that are better than what Gillis was willing to let him go for. In fact it will be worse, to the point that he may have to waive him hoping a team takes him or that he has to park him in the minors, or take a bad contract back or take on some of the contract itself.

It's not looking good for the apparent Moneyball genius.


You've been watching too much Dreger.

Image

More buyers in the summer, more teams re-tooling, more competition in the new divisions, a real 82 game season. The deadline was always a bad time to trade Luongo. We didn't have the option to bring back any salary, we needed to add a backup goalie, there's a time-limit to beat... Gillis will find a better deal in the summer.


Where do I sign up for Fantasy Island? It sounds like you guys are having a ball there with the midget and Ricardo.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby ukcanuck » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 am

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
I'm still confident that a goalie who virtually guarantees a playoff spot will find a home for more than a bag of pucks and a roll of tape.


Wishful thinking. Why would any GM, knowing the wall Gillis will be up against this summer, throw a bouquet of roses at GIllis for Luongo that is better than what Gillis was willing to let Lou go for to the Leafs? Ain't no GM out there is going to want to do Gillis a favor and take a contract like that on a 34 year old goalie for parts that are better than what Gillis was willing to let him go for. In fact it will be worse, to the point that he may have to waive him hoping a team takes him or that he has to park him in the minors, or take a bad contract back or take on some of the contract itself. Either way, Luongo has been nothing but a class act professional in all of this, it's time for Gillis to return the favor and just find a fucking home for him.

It's not looking good for the apparent Moneyball genius.

The reason is simple as win or you lose your job. Theres going to be 29 GMs under the microscope like never before due to the new CBA and lockout shortened season.
In that climate there will be a fish on the hook and Gillis will have a chance to reel it in. The real issue about the contract that you and all of Canada's Toronto cock sucking media keep trying to avoid is that the term on Luongo's contract will out live most GMs life expectancy...in other words its quite likely that the end of the contract will be someone else's problem. There is 100 years near enough evidence that there are more than one rube in the league willing to do anything to keep his job.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 am

ukcanuck wrote:The reason is simple as win or you lose your job. Theres going to be 29 GMs under the microscope like never before due to the new CBA and lockout shortened season.
In that climate there will be a fish on the hook and Gillis will have a chance to reel it in. The real issue about the contract that you and all of Canada's Toronto cock sucking media keep trying to avoid is that the term on Luongo's contract will out live most GMs life expectancy...in other words its quite likely that the end of the contract will be someone else's problem. There is 100 years near enough evidence that there are more than one rube in the league willing to do anything to keep his job.


:bang: I know you have a serious man crush on Gillis, bobbing his balls constantly, it's endearing, the loyalty brings a tear to my eye but it really is astounding that you honestly think that Gillis will get a deal that will blow the socks off the Scriven, and two seconds he offered Nonis? :rofl:

I can hear it now - Tallon - "Hey Mikey, I know you were willing to let Lou go for shite to the Leafs, I know you are fucked up with the new cap setting in, but I am willing to help you out cause you are a good and your fans really love you, how about Matthias, Bjugstad and a 1st round pick for Lou?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Topper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 am

We all know MLSE set making the playoffs as the benchmark for the season, but if they do make the playoffs this year, the fans will not be happy with a 1st round exit. Especially a quick one.

If Reimer does a 2012 MAF, fans will turn on Nonis for having the chance to upgrade and not doing so.

I can't say I'm at all disappointed the deal did not happen. TO never had the assets I wanted in return.

From HW's post, it seems GMMG was willing to drop the price to appease Luongo more than anything. Similar, but not going as far as Burke did for Gigi when he waived him from the Ducks.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5142
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 am

Meh......a shitty deal in the summer is better than a shitty deal now. Keep the insurance in goal in case of indifferent play by the redhead or if he gets injured. As for the cap going down it's a one year thing , then it will rise, but a troll is a troll is a troll.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3166
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Aaronp18 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:13 pm

As Gillis said a trade of Luongo's stature is better suited for the offseason.

There are far more options available with buyouts, taking back some salary, trading cap hit percentage, etc.

If you can't see that there are far more options available in the offseason you're more dense than Randy Carlyle and his crackpot concussion theories!
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:The reason is simple as win or you lose your job. Theres going to be 29 GMs under the microscope like never before due to the new CBA and lockout shortened season.
In that climate there will be a fish on the hook and Gillis will have a chance to reel it in. The real issue about the contract that you and all of Canada's Toronto cock sucking media keep trying to avoid is that the term on Luongo's contract will out live most GMs life expectancy...in other words its quite likely that the end of the contract will be someone else's problem. There is 100 years near enough evidence that there are more than one rube in the league willing to do anything to keep his job.


:bang: I know you have a serious man crush on Gillis, bobbing his balls constantly, it's endearing, the loyalty brings a tear to my eye but it really is astounding that you honestly think that Gillis will get a deal that will blow the socks off the Scriven, and two seconds he offered Nonis? :rofl:

I can hear it now - Tallon - "Hey Mikey, I know you were willing to let Lou go for shite to the Leafs, I know you are fucked up with the new cap setting in, but I am willing to help you out cause you are a good and your fans really love you, how about Matthias, Bjugstad and a 1st round pick for Lou?



Dude at least get it right. The offer was Scivens, two picks and the Canucks keep a significant portion of the cap/salary. MG can get the same deal in the summer less having to keep any cap/salary. I think most of us have come to the realization that MG isn't going to get his asking price. I'm fine with that now. But as Blob said, a shitty deal that doesn't improve your team now is better done later. Well, actually a lot of us have been saying that all season. If you can't get a player(s) that will help now hold onto Luongo and make a dump in the summer.

And yes, as Aaron points out more opportunities will present themselves in the summer. By more opportunities I mean more teams that feel a scrub and a couple of picks are worth the price for Luongo. So I see more teams being interested for the lower price. And Luongo is fed up so I see him more willing to look at more options too.

And MG owes him nothing. This all started because of Luongo's family issues and him contemplating wanting to return to the East. Then Cory becomes even better than hoped. Luongo was not pulled in the LA series because he was playing badly. He was pulled because MG had a phone call on trade deadline day 2012 from the Leafs asking if Luongo would be available. The Canucks decided to find out if Cory could handle the pressure of playoff games. This was a MG decision not from AV. And it caused problems. Then Luongo answers an innocent question about would he waive if NTC if asked right after they get bounced by LA. He says yes he would. That gets translated into Luongo demands a trade.

So lets re-cap:

1) Luongo develops family problems
2) Wife returns to Florida
3) Luongo starts to think out loud that he may want to return to the East
4) Cory emerges as better than hoped and shows he can handle the pressure of big games
5) Controversy begins as to whether Canucks should keep or trade Cory
6) Trade deadline day MG fields a call from the Leafs about the possibility of obtaining Luongo. No deal worked out but it starts the Canucks down a path of thinking, with all that has gone on personally for Luongo and with Cory's emergence, that keeping Cory and trading Luongo may be the better option.
7) LA series. Luongo does not play badly but team does. Decision is made to shake things up and see if Cory can handle the big games.
8) Cory shines but Canucks still lose
9) Luongo is pissed at being replaced by Cory
10) Luongo is asked if he would waive if asked and he says yes.
11) Media comes out and says Luongo demands trade
12) Luongo and MG discuss options and Luongo says he wants to return to the East preferably Florida
13) Tallon confirms that ownership has approved the taking of Luongo contract if a deal is worked out
14) Leafs show hot interest and rumours circulate that they are the front runner.
15) Tallon expresses interest but asking price is too high
16) Rumours intensify that Toronto is the front runner.
17) Luongo make twitter comments about Toronto and Leafs but reiterates he has not been asked to waive
18) Things go quite as lock out looms
19) Lock out hits all trade talk and discussions with players ceases
20) Shannon comes out with a story that a trade with the Leafs had been agreed upon and he knows the players but in fairness to them won't name them.
21) Luongo again denies that he has been asked to waive
21) MG says he can't comment because he cannot talk to teams or players and the status is the same as it was before the lockout. i.e. no trade.
22) As it looks like the new CBA will get done the Shannon rumours intensify with pundits speculating that as soon as the new CBA is done the trade will be confirmed.
23) HW tells everyone it's not true, Luongo has never been asked to waive. Pundits still feel deal is done but nothing happens until
24) Burke gets fired. Speculation rampant that it is because he either failed to trade for Luongo or in the alternative he wanted to and Nonis didn't. Thus the explanation for the supposed agreed upon trade falling through is there.
25) MG tells media that with the new CBA a deal for a player of Luongo's stature is hard to make mid season and if a deal isn't worked out in the first few weeks it probably won't be until the off season.
26) Media try hard to create a goalie controversy but fail.
27) Damien Cox has several versions back to back as to what happened. No deal because the Canucks insist on Kadri, no wait they never asked for him it was Gardiner, no wait it was ....
28) MG says he has/had a deal worked out with one team but it was contingent upon them moving a player first. Luongo still has not been asked to waive
29) MG claims multiple teams interested but the price still isn't there and is asked if it is a better deal in the summer to which he responds probably.
30 Doug McLean comes out with a story that a deal was worked out in the summer with the Leafs but Luongo was told by people in the Panther organization they wanted him but had issues to resolve so be patient. So Luongo refused to waive. Luongo still insists he has never been asked to waive.
31) Doug MClean nows says it wasn't people in the Panther's organization that told Luongo to be patient it was people who were close to people who were high up in the organization, can't have tampering charges can we Doug. Also says Luongo may not have refused to waive but instead just told MG he would not waive if asked to go there.
32) Deadline day 2013 approaches, comes and goes, Luongo is still a Canuck


MG does not owe Luongo anything beyond trying to accommodate his request to get back to the East. Luongo was only too willing to sign this contract and I agree he has been nothing but professional throughout this process. But that doesn't mean MG owes him anything. MG proved he was willing to take a hit to accommodate him. What more could he have done? If he had traded Luongo in the summer to anyone for a scrub and two picks, none of which was a first you would have been all over him like a ton of bricks and so would most Canuck fans. Even Calpuke would have called him a joke for getting such a shitty return. He was and is in a no win situation.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Hank » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Wow HW, are you keeping a diary or something? :D

I'm no MG ball licker but he is in a bit of tough spot on this one. He isn't the only GM who tried to take advantage of the last CBA with these long-term deals. In hindsight, I'm not sure any of these were good deals.

Dipetro, Bryz, Lu,... and at some point fans will probably hate the Weber, Suter and Parise signings.
Hank
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Groovypippin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Thank you HW. A very useful and timely reminder. It is especially important for us all to remember what precipitated all this. It was RLs personal issues that led to the initial request to move - not Schneider assuming the mantle of number one in last year's playoffs.

That is a point that has been lost to many in all of this. RL was not forced into this position by the organization choosing Schneider over him. Schneider was chosen over him because a) RLs personal issues and trade request forced the issue b) Schneider has proven capable of assuming the number one goalie position.

If Roberto's personal issues has never become an issue, I have no doubt that Schneider would have been eventually traded (like Ben Bishop just was) because he had outgrown his role as a back-up.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Groovypippin wrote:Thank you HW. A very useful and timely reminder. It is especially important for us all to remember what precipitated all this. It was RLs personal issues that led to the initial request to move - not Schneider assuming the mantle of number one in last year's playoffs.

That is a point that has been lost to many in all of this. RL was not forced into this position by the organization choosing Schneider over him. Schneider was chosen over him because a) RLs personal issues and trade request forced the issue b) Schneider has proven capable of assuming the number one goalie position.

If Roberto's personal issues has never become an issue, I have no doubt that Schneider would have been eventually traded (like Ben Bishop just was) because he had outgrown his role as a back-up.



Trading Cory was always the plan, as he hit RFA status the hope was Lack would be ready to back up Luongo.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trade Deadline Day Trades and Rumours

Postby ukcanuck » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:22 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
:bang: I know you have a serious man crush on Gillis, bobbing his balls constantly, it's endearing, the loyalty brings a tear to my eye but it really is astounding that you honestly think that Gillis will get a deal that will blow the socks off the Scriven, and two seconds he offered Nonis? :rofl:

I can hear it now - Tallon - "Hey Mikey, I know you were willing to let Lou go for shite to the Leafs, I know you are fucked up with the new cap setting in, but I am willing to help you out cause you are a good and your fans really love you, how about Matthias, Bjugstad and a 1st round pick for Lou?


You're wrong, I have no loyalty to Gillia one way or the other anymore than I have loyalty for anyone in the organization. As long as they win, I am a happy camper. however, I am also not a revisionist like yourself. I don't change the facts to suit my point of view and I'm not jumping up and down with glee over the way things have gone with Luongo.
Unlike you, I have no axe to grind and I don't need to change anything to make the situation fit my dreams

Bottomline, with respect to Hdub's timeline Its been a stacked deck sin e day one and anyone interested in a just judgement has to see that.
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron