Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Post by ClamRussel »

No
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

FAN wrote:As far as I'm concerned, this is a depth move. Roy's game has decline for several years now. He seems to be exactly the type of player that ends up in AV's doghouse.
Excellent. I hope this isn't going to happen... another guy MG brings in that AV doesn't trust, won't allow to play to his strengths and ends up just eating cap space... only to see favorites, scrubs and tweeners in the lineup making even bigger boneheaded plays and not generating a lick of offense.

Someone mentioned that Roy reminded him of BMo. As I recall, AV was not a fan of that guy either. At least Roy is only likely to be a rental.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

For those concerned about Roy's defense (to get ice time from AV) & recovery from injury, this is from a Mar 5, 2013 article.
Roy has been very solid in the role that Dallas created for him. He is starting 45% of his shifts in the offensive zone, while Benn is at 54%. Roy's defensive acumen (he won't ever win a Selke, but he knows his way around his own zone) has enabled Glen Gulutzan the luxury of keeping Benn off the ice for defensive zone faceoffs. Little things like this matter a lot in the long run. Roy's defensively ability has also allowed the Stars to shelter Eakin a little bit. And that is never a bad thing for a young player learning the ropes in the best league on the planet.

Roy isn't drawing penalties like he used to in Buffalo, but a small sample size could be to blame. He has 14 points in 17 games - fantastic production for a second line center. Additionally, Roy has taken only one penalty, which is a welcomed sight for a Stars team that still struggles with discipline issues.
We shall see...
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Someone posted an article that described exactly how well Roy was playing in Dallas and how he helped free up Benn to play a much more offensive role. It's linked in this thread somewhere.

He was the only plus forward on the Stars roster, and the only other plus player was Whitney who has only played 19 games.

Is seems that his game has become far more well rounded as he's matured and come into his prime. He has also stated that he finally feels 100% after a few injuries.

This seems like a guys that can be relied upon to chip in offensively but is strong in his own end. He distributes the puck well but can score at decent pace.

He will free up Hank and Kesler to play their roles better. The Canucks can assemble a secondary scoring line that can take some of the heat off the Sedins and Kesler can once again be used to shut down the oppositions best, and Roy an be used to help with this task as well.

With any luck getting Kelser and Roy into the lineup will almost immediately help the PP.

To me it seems like someone that AV will be more than happy with. A versatile player with good hockey sense.

Edit: Article right there ^^^ :thumbs:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And with Kassian returning from his stint in rehab, er conditioning, er, whatever....
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

This is exactly the type of player that Vigneault ends up ruining.

Offensively gifted, small, fast, plays a speed game with some skill. He's just a veteran version of Schroeder.

I'm not really sure about Roy's defensive game though. I haven't really watched him much as I rarely tune into Dallas Stars games. In Buffalo I do remember him packing some offensive punch, but again, the players that Lindy Ruff was able to motivate and coach into successful players aren't the players that Vigneault generally got alot out of......and vise-versa.

I really hope Roy can come in here and make an impact offensively, but his success in the past has not come on teams that play the offensive system that Vigneault and Co. like to coach.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Dank-Hank-Burr
MayRay-Roy-Hansen
Higgins-Kes-Kassasian
Sestito-LapDawg-Weise

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Tanev
Alberts-Bieska
If Booth's status is "gone for the regular season", then perhaps it is possible he'll be back for the playoffs. Replace Sestito with Booth and that's one hell of a fourth line. (leaving aside conversations about Booth's salary on the 4th line). Alberts over Ballard? Perhaps Ballard could replace Sestito as well. And between Lou and Schneider we ought to get good goaltending.

If we stay healthy, we have the horses to make a run. That's a big if, but let's face it, ANY championship team must be lucky with injuries. That's part of what it takes to win a championship.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

FAN wrote:As far as I'm concerned, this is a depth move. Roy's game has decline for several years now. He seems to be exactly the type of player that ends up in AV's doghouse.
but unless there has been a new addition to the dog house, the house is full. Poor Ballard. He goes from being a power forward to the top dog in the dog house again. :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, i'll agree that ballard and booth are both better players than sestito. I just like sestito cuz he's willing to fight and stick up for his teammates anytime. He knows his role for a 4th line player. Although he's not the best fighter and looks a bit clumsy dropping em sometimes, he's a gamer and has the size to stand up to a heavyweight. Same reason I like Fat Alberts on D, although he makes the occasional mistake, I like the muscle he brings back there. :D

darren wrote:If Booth's status is "gone for the regular season", then perhaps it is possible he'll be back for the playoffs. Replace Sestito with Booth and that's one hell of a fourth line. (leaving aside conversations about Booth's salary on the 4th line). Alberts over Ballard? Perhaps Ballard could replace Sestito as well. And between Lou and Schneider we ought to get good goaltending.

If we stay healthy, we have the horses to make a run. That's a big if, but let's face it, ANY championship team must be lucky with injuries. That's part of what it takes to win a championship.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Saw this on CalPuke, have no idea how to make it a youtube embedded video (can anyone tell me how?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rEAiR-_Qdo
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote:Saw this on CalPuke, have no idea how to make it a youtube embedded video (can anyone tell me how?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rEAiR-_Qdo
Like this:

Click linky:

YouTube tutorial by yours truly.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That was so cool. I like that they taped that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:That was so cool. I like that they taped that.
I already posted that in the trade thread :evil:

AirHead81 is slow and frigid :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arachnid wrote: AirHead81 is slow and frigid :P
It would actually be BCReefer that's slow and frigid. I just was showing him how to imbed the youtube link.

I did see it when you posted it.

But carry on.

:wink:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Arachnid wrote: AirHead81 is slow and frigid :P
It would actually be BCReefer that's slow and frigid. I just was showing him how to imbed the youtube link.

I did see it when you posted it.

But carry on.

:wink:
Carry On The Stanley Cup Run young Canuckleheads!

why didn't you just link to my post then Mr. Arseson18 :hmmm:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)