Canucks Sign Higgins 4yr/10m

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Sign Higgins 4yr/10m

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:This is the ball park Booth should be paid in, if that were the case I'd leave the jesus freak alone.
Once this contract is up, it's where he will be valued me thinks.
If you need air...call it in
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Now this is a proper contract - 2.5 million per. Good guy. Fair and square for both parties involved. If Higgy could somehow overcome his inconsistent streaky play, he'd be worth twice that. This is the ball park Booth should be paid in, if that were the case I'd leave the jesus freak alone.

His defensive game and work ethic are dead consistent. As in very good every night.

If his offensive game were more consistent he would score 30, and we would be looking at double what we are paying.

All 20 goal scorers are somewhat inconsistent at the offensive end.

And yes compared to Higgens, Booth is over paid.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So that is two moves made by MG that have the RD seal of approval. I wonder if that is like the kiss of death? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, I too like the Higgins deal. 4 years may be one year too long but with a limited NTC you know you can unload him at some point if you need to. He basically replaces Manny's salary for next year.

Higgins is one of the hardest and most consistent working on the team. Players like him at his cap range are a great thing to have.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

the Dogsalmon wrote:what this tells me is that Gillis doesnt think he can buy,draft or get a player that will be better for the team than Higgins is for at least 4 years...kinda makes me feel sad...
Uh why sad?
If you were to draft or trade for a prospect you'd have year(s) of headaches & training as he learned the ropes.
Or you'd be trading for a player which is a risk, unless it was a blue chip player in which case they'd be asking for more.
Higgins is a known quantity now, 20 - 25 goals per full season and good work ethic

He's a good 3rd line winger who can shift up to 2nd line easily, plays both sides & plays PK.
He probably could be getting about $3 or $3.5 in the open market in a year or two, so signing him long term where he wants to play is good for both parties
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:what this tells me is that Gillis doesnt think he can buy,draft or get a player that will be better for the team than Higgins is for at least 4 years...kinda makes me feel sad...
Uh why sad?
If you were to draft or trade for a prospect you'd have year(s) of headaches & training as he learned the ropes.
Or you'd be trading for a player which is a risk, unless it was a blue chip player in which case they'd be asking for more.
Higgins is a known quantity now, 20 - 25 goals per full season and good work ethic

He's a good 3rd line winger who can shift up to 2nd line easily, plays both sides & plays PK.
He probably could be getting about $3 or $3.5 in the open market in a year or two, so signing him long term where he wants to play is good for both parties

Buddy...i have been watching these guys do this for 40+ years...i know how the story ends...a third line discarded player at the end of his career is rehabed by us...given a large contract and his game goes in the big shitter...its a standard Canuck story...i find that Higgins is a utility player and the contract is too long in regards to his age...
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

RoyalDude wrote: This is the ball park Booth should be paid in, if that were the case I'd leave the jesus freak alone.
I call Bull on that one RD,2 decent games in a 48 game season.His ass is grass this summer,I suspect Aquilini will be
forced to buy him out.
Glad to see the Canucks hang on to Higgins,consistent,versatile player
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Offer Raymond a $1/4 mil more than Higgins for being younger and having better offence. If he doesn't accept by tomorrow, put him on the block.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:Now this is a proper contract - 2.5 million per. Good guy. Fair and square for both parties involved. If Higgy could somehow overcome his inconsistent streaky play, he'd be worth twice that. This is the ball park Booth should be paid in, if that were the case I'd leave the jesus freak alone.
Actually Booth probably more like 1.5 - 2 mil.
He's basically a banging 3rd/4th liner who doesn't score much.
He could well go in the million dollar range this summer, like Redden & Gomez did. (Since he will have already pocketed most of his cash in the buyout)
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

With Higgins and Hansen under contract, the team can afford to let Raymond leave as UFA and not feel compelled to find a replacement.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Zamboni Driver wrote: He's (Booth) basically a banging 3rd/4th liner who doesn't score much.
Are we talking about the David Booth who scored 16g in 56g last year?
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

the Dogsalmon wrote:i know how the story ends...a third line discarded player at the end of his career is rehabed by us...given a large contract and his game goes in the big shitter...its a standard Canuck story...i find that Higgins is a utility player and the contract is too long in regards to his age...
Marty Gelinas?