Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

CFP! wrote: Regardless, the fans wont come.
yes they will.......take a ganders at the attendance when the Wolves came to town.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
CFP! wrote:Moving them to Abby, Aquaman buying the center, having the travel time for the players to the East, interrupting the BCHL Cheifs.

Most definitely a April fools joke. If you actually look at the AHL map of teams it's really silly to have a team way out west unless GMMG is planning on developing his own league....or AHL division. Team up the Western NHL teams and have and East and West AHL conferences. Regardless, the fans wont come.

Having them in the midwest still makes most sense. Especially if we are on a road trip. :drink:
Why do the Canucks give a shit about the BCHL??

This means AHL players can live in Vancouver, play 1/2 their games locally, and the transition from AHL to NHL is that much easier.

When they're in Chicago the best case scenario is the Canucks are playing out East when they're called up. Moving them here gives them a 50/50 shot of any call-up being a local pick-up.

Oh, so if we demote a player he can still keep his condo? lol....

I'm with Topper on this one. Dont bring the mini-Canucks to BC to be raped over lackluster reporters advice/lack of knowledge.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
CFP! wrote: Regardless, the fans wont come.
yes they will.......take a ganders at the attendance when the Wolves came to town.

Sorry, not an attempt at the Canucks fans.....more at moving most AHL teams West to create a division. I'd be hard pressed to place a bet on attendance of a lesser known NHL team who owns an AHL squad in say.....Seattle, or LasVegas. Just spitballing.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Sched becomes more balanced next year only highlighting why a Midwest farm club is advantageous. 3- 4 hr flight, often less, to any NHL city in the league.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:Sched becomes more balanced next year only highlighting why a Midwest farm club is advantageous. 3- 4 hr flight, often less, to any NHL city in the league.
That's true, but at the same time the realignment also means playing more games in our own time-zone and the next one over. Games back east will only comprise around 25%, if not less, of the total schedule.

Your point still stands based on the fact that Vancouver is the destination furthest from the rest of the league (both AHL and NHL).
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I agree with Topper that it doesn't make sense to have an AHL team in BC when the closest other AHL team is in Oklahoma...financially though, it would likely be a home run for the Canucks.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

herb wrote:financially though, it would likely be a home run for the Canucks.
Aqua-man gets richer and the minnows learn the meaning of jet-lag in anticipation of suffering the west coast NHL travel lifestyle
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

No matter where they play, just the fact that Gillis and Co. can run their player development regime the way they want, without opposition from a partner organization more inclined for gate receipts than developing the parent club, makes nothing but sense considering Gillis' approach to it. Even so, putting the farm team in Abbotsford is a money-making proposition.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lancer wrote:Even so, putting the farm team in Abbotsford is a money-making proposition.
Not sure on that when you factor in the insane AHL travel for a west coast team.

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Gillman just told the Team1040 he is currently in New York looking for a place for their new AHL team to play.

Could be a back-up plan but....
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Topper wrote:
Lancer wrote:Even so, putting the farm team in Abbotsford is a money-making proposition.
Not sure on that when you factor in the insane AHL travel for a west coast team.
The travel isint so bad when you only play on weekends.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

CFP! wrote:If you actually look at the AHL map of teams it's really silly to have a team way out west
I agree that travel wise, having the team out West isn't the best. However, having a team in Vancouver/near Vancouver might help in re-signing players down the line. I think Jannik Hansen spends his summers in Manitoba because he liked it there when he was playing for the Moose.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mrs Hansen was born at Portage and Main.

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

"Peoria to join SPHL under former Rivermen management team

The Peoria Rivermen and professional hockey will continue on next fall in central Illinois as a frenetic series of events Monday saw one era end and a new one begin.

The Vancouver Canucks notified the Peoria Civic Center they will not operate their American Hockey League farm club in Peoria next season, officially ending Peoria's eight-year AHL run."
http://www.pjstar.com/news/x811437871/V ... -in-Peoria

The Canucks now have 30 days to resolve this AHL dilemma. :o

ffs having no AHL team will be a disaster! so get'r done MG/Gilman. :mad:

At least according to News1130Sports
"AHL source tells me this morning "Something is in the making, the Canucks will have an affiliate next year".
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

This is another Gills mess.

Winnipeg was a great affiliate then we go to Chicago for 2 years which was a disaster. A team much more interested in winning then developing prospects. Now there are rumors that we will go dormant for a year while Gillis thinks about it. The fact that we had more prospects in the ECHL than AHL last year shows how bad our player development has been the last few years.

I think we will end up somewhere but FFS Gillis get your shit together.