Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Acquire Derek Roy

Post by herb »

Zamboni Driver wrote: WTF?
You'd think that they'd keep him as 3rd line center until Kes is back, unless they exppect Kes on Thursday? :eh:
Anyways, he'll certainly be back for the playoffs to gain experience
I suspect Schroeder is down for good, barring any more freaking injuries.

Wolves play four games this week, while the Canucks only play two. Kesler is expected to be back within a week. The other factor is waiver eligility. Ebbett needs to clear waivers, and Schroeder does not. No sense in losing an asset (Ebbett) at this point for nothing, over a couple of games, at home, against opponents we should beat (Edmonton & Calgary). We lost a serviceable player in Volpatti to waivers only a few weeks ago.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I'm waiting for RD to chime in before I'll form my own opinion. I'm sure he'll reference the smurfs at some point.
I'll beat him (beat him you say?! :? ) to it....Roy is...Better than Bozak!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

I'm generally not a big fan of rentals but this one feels right. I don't mind the loss of KC or a second rounder in this case. The additions of Roy and Kesler completely change the complexion of this team. If they can just figure out the powerplay, they could be a difficult team to beat.

Schroeder fared better than I thought he would this season but he is still not good enough to be relied upon in the playoffs for anything other than a very limited roll.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I will be surprised if Schroeder isnt moved by mid July for other assets.. No room for a top 2 center on this team.. thats position is filled...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I will be surprised if Schroeder isnt moved by mid July for other assets.. No room for a top 2 center on this team.. thats position is filled...
Yup, CoHo part duex.

Although, he has proven he does have some defensive capabilities CoHo doesn't.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

CFP! wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:I will be surprised if Schroeder isnt moved by mid July for other assets.. No room for a top 2 center on this team.. thats position is filled...
Yup, CoHo part duex.

Although, he has proven he does have some defensive capabilities CoHo doesn't.
Yeah, I think he's a lot more defensive responsible. Moves the puck out of zone too...

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/story/?id=419688
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:I suspect Schroeder is down for good, barring any more freaking injuries.
Ebbett drops even further down the depth chart so he may be worth the risk of sending down.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

???
Schroeder is not a bona fide top 2 center, and he'll need at least a couple years experience before he can.
He should be playing on the 3rd line for a couple of years, just as Kesother top 6 forwards have done

If not him, then who is the future for the Canucks?
It would seem that MG felt CoHo was expendable because Schroeder was a better defensive center, and we couldn't develop both at the same time.

We need to be developing two top 6 centers in the next couple of years, for the future when Sedin & Kes are slowing down, and probably more injury prone.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:
herb wrote:I suspect Schroeder is down for good, barring any more freaking injuries.
Ebbett drops even further down the depth chart so he may be worth the risk of sending down.

Ebbett can be more effective as that utility centre than can JS.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:Ebbett drops even further down the depth chart so he may be worth the risk of sending down.
True, and depending on what other, if any, trades are made between now and the deadline, Ebbett may be sent down depending on whether or not there is space on the roster.

Right now I count 22 on the active roster. I believe Kesler needs to be activated as well, so he would be 23. Nobody needs to be sent down unless we have a net addition of roster players come trade deadline. Even then, Sweatt, Jensen and Pinizzotto can be sent down before Ebbett.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Schroeder has already been sent down
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So the Canucks had been trying to land Roy for a while. Dallas was just unsure if they were sellers, until now. This may explain why MG didn't go after the other centres who were put on waivers.He must have been pretty confident he would land him when the time came.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I'm waiting for RD to chime in before I'll form my own opinion.
:rofl:
Ya well aren't we all...
My opinion is that we desperately needed an actual NHL center. Giving up the 2nd is quite a price but considering the market...Gillis didn't get fleeced. I mean 2x2nds for Murray? WTF was Shero thinking????

KC is likely never going to play a significant role in the NHL.
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Roy may not have been the best option for a 2nd/3rd line centre, but he's better than what they had before behind Hank. 2nd and Connauton? Not a bad deal considering what's being thrown around these days. The other thing is depending on how he plays, if Gillis wants to re-sign Roy he gets a full first crack instead of waiting like every other schmoe come summer.

I think he may do better after this trade, as it's been reported a couple of places that he's only now starting to feel 100% healthy.

Better than a kick in the junk with a frozen mukluk.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Roy played mostly with Eriksson this season and Cole since he was acquired.

He appears to have been matched up with alot of top 2 lines/and top 2 D pairings this season with his most ice time coming against Carter/Doughty in LA and Tanguay/Wideman/Brodie in Calgary followed by Suter/Gilbert/Bouchard in Minny and Paranteau in Colorado.
Roy was playing tough minutes in Dallas and more then keeping his head above water. In fact they move Ribero and added Roy in part to free up Benn to play a more offensive role.

With a healthy line up I suspect kesler will take the toughest match up and a Roy / Hansen / ? combo will probably take the other teams second unit.