Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by herb »

RoyalDude wrote:I like Clowe but it doesn't solve our scoring woes, which is our biggest issue.
Agreed that scoring is our biggest issue, but we do have goal scoring centre Ryan Kesler on the way back within days.

Clowe has always been more of a mucker, a net crasher, and a setup guy, while Kesler is a shoot first centre. They could work together. Clowe-Kesler-Higgens?

I also feel that the Sedins look like they need a mix-up, which is why I advocated putting the cold Kassian with the cold Sedins to see if some of Kassian's early season fire could be reignited. Clowe is a right handed shot, but like you said, he's not much of a finisher. Do we really need another pass first guy on that line? Nope.

I'd take a chance on Clowe if the price was right, but I certainly wouldn't blow my wad on him. He would be a gamble at this point, and right now the Canucks need a sure thing 3rd line centre more than a gamble.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The_Pauser wrote:Hearing Higgins will be re-upping for $10M/4 years, limited NTC. Deal should be made official tomorrow.
Yep - it's official now: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419694

Average 2.5M per
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Cornuck wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Hearing Higgins will be re-upping for $10M/4 years, limited NTC. Deal should be made official tomorrow.
Yep - it's official now: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419694

Average 2.5M per
Damn good deal, I like how Higgins plays for the Canucks, and 2.5 per year is very affordable.
He can play both 2nd & 3rd lines.
Good work MG
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Good signing, although I'm not crazy about the four year term. I would have preferred a two or three year deal.

I really like Higgens as a player. He can play on basically any line, and is comfortable on either wing. He produces at a second line pace, is a solid two way player, kills penalties and works hard. He really plays the game the right way.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Hearing that Gillis has Mike Weaver on his radar, and also asked Buffalo about re-acquiring Ehrhoff. Buffalo declined since they have already paid him a whole lot of money.

Also Torres still on our radar. Apparently there's no beef between him and Higgins.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With Baker waived there must be another D'man on the horizon.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The_Pauser wrote:Hearing that Gillis has Mike Weaver on his radar, and also asked Buffalo about re-acquiring Ehrhoff. Buffalo declined since they have already paid him a whole lot of money.

Also Torres still on our radar. Apparently there's no beef between him and Higgins.
I liked Torres and we really miss what he can bring, but HW said some players called him "an absolute pig" (or simething similar) and asked that he not be re-signed.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:With Baker waived there must be another D'man on the horizon.
Gilman: "We're not done trying to improve this hockey club." Said they want 2 more pieces.

D-Man and maybe....a back-up G 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:With Baker waived there must be another D'man on the horizon.
Gilman: "We're not done trying to improve this hockey club." Said they want 2 more pieces.

So Luongo for Franzen, Scivens a prospect and a 1st? Is that what you are saying?

I guess that mean they don't have confidence that Ballard and Alberts can play on the bottom pairing? I wonder why?
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

herb wrote:Good signing, although I'm not crazy about the four year term. I would have preferred a two or three year deal.
For a 29 yr old, former 1st round pick who has been pretty consistant 20+ goal scorer and would expect to get 20 - 25 goals on the 2nd/3rd line, 4 yrs at 2.5 is a good deal, as the cap will likely go up quite a bit in a couple years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

So Luongo fro Franzen, Scivens a prospect and a 1st? Ids that what you are saying?
No, imagine if we get a vet back-up without trading Luo. We could then trade him for a real solid D and/or prospect.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Bob Mc is saying down to Rangers and Nucks for Clowe, with Rangers the front runners. We'll see soon enough I guess.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Diehard1 wrote:Bob Mc is saying down to Rangers and Nucks for Clowe, with Rangers the front runners. We'll see soon enough I guess.

Wait I thought he was speaking with the team he is going to and is getting an extension in place before the deal is done. I thought it was the Flyers. Oh that just Eklund, sorry.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

As per Farhan Lalji, Kesler will not be skating with the team today. Weise skated on his own before practice. Ballard is still in a walking boot, but hopes to skate tomorrow.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Sounds like Kesler, Raymond, Ballard and Weise all skated and ran through some drills together this morning and Ballard participated in the morning skate. 8-)