Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:
No, I do, big fan, a little concerned about his scoring touch. I think Gillis really needs to shore up our lack of goalscoring which is a massive sore spot with this club right now, it's our Achilles heel right now, has been since halfway through last season. Clowe will not provide much in that department, however the guy is tough as nails. We'd have to be parting with some wingers though, too much of that, but doesn't make sense to remove Raymonds scoring touch this year and nose for creating offense for Clowe's complete lack of scoring this year.
I think this year is just one of those blips for a top level power forward. Apparently he's lined up with Gomez ffs which will ruin anybodys scoring touch. He brings so much more to a team like VCR than simple goal production. He's the perfect playoff linemate fore the Sedins when the Dustin Browns come around cheap shotting...
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Imagine a line in the playoffs with Clowe on one wing and Kassian on the other.....I mean if they were firing on all cylinders and bringing their A games.

Poor opposing dmen on the dump-ins.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote:Imagine a line in the playoffs with Clowe on one wing and Kassian on the other.....I mean if they were firing on all cylinders and bringing their A games.

Poor opposing dmen on the dump-ins.
That's how series are won....look how Boston and LA did that to our defense. Would be nice to pay it forward as well as take all the after whistle BS away from the Sedins/Kesler. In a deep run, that plays a huge part
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I like Clowe but it doesn't solve our scoring woes, which is our biggest issue. Don Cherry hockey works if you can actually score, if you can't score you just have a bunch of guys running around like Hordichuk and Eager being completely useless..
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:I like Clowe but it doesn't solve our scoring woes, which is our biggest issue. Don Cherry hockey works if you can actually score, if you can't score you just have a bunch of guys running around like Hordichuk and Eager being completely useless..
That's true.

Guys like Clowe have often been rendered useless in Vigneault's "skill and finesse attack". Net crashers are only effective if both wingers are attacking the net on the shot and going for rebounds. Vigneault's system only has one guy at the net and one in the corner and one on the wall. Clowe would be out matched all by himself against 3 defenders in front. Just like Burrows, Kesler, Kassian, and Hansen often are.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I like Clowe but it doesn't solve our scoring woes, which is our biggest issue. Don Cherry hockey works if you can actually score, if you can't score you just have a bunch of guys running around like Hordichuk and Eager being completely useless..
That's true.

Guys like Clowe have often been rendered useless in Vigneault's "skill and finesse attack". Net crashers are only effective if both wingers are attacking the net on the shot and going for rebounds. Vigneault's system only has one guy at the net and one in the corner and one on the wall. Clowe would be out matched all by himself against 3 defenders in front. Just like Burrows, Kesler, Kassian, and Hansen often are.
Who's blonde, uber-intelligent and goes to the net like clockwork? :wink:
Netcrash 101 for beginners
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Hearing Higgins will be re-upping for $10M/4 years, limited NTC. Deal should be made official tomorrow.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The_Pauser wrote:Hearing Higgins will be re-upping for $10M/4 years, limited NTC. Deal should be made official tomorrow.

Hope this is true, a very good deal for the Canucks, and for Higgins.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

The_Pauser wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Two days before the trade deadline, soon to be UFA Mason Raymond not at morning skate.

dun dun dun dunnnnnn.....
UFA for UFA - Raymond for Bozak??? A trade of necessity.
Bozak is garbage. I'd rather trade Raymond for Clowe.
A center with 10 goals and a 53% FO rating? Where's the garbage in that?
How many goals does Clowe have again?
How many centers do we have now with >50% FO?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Pauser has an irrational hatred for Tyler Bozak because he's used to hearing about him in the context of a potential Luongo return.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

dbr wrote:Pauser has an irrational hatred for Tyler Bozak because he's used to hearing about him in the context of a potential Luongo return.
There's no irrational hatred at all. Bozak is a crap hockey player. He's terrible defensively, and do you really think he's going to put up these kinds of offensive numbers on the third line playing with inferior players to Kessel and 6-7 fewer minutes each game? It's just common sense.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The_Pauser wrote:
dbr wrote:Pauser has an irrational hatred for Tyler Bozak because he's used to hearing about him in the context of a potential Luongo return.
There's no irrational hatred at all. Bozak is a crap hockey player. He's terrible defensively, and do you really think he's going to put up these kinds of offensive numbers on the third line playing with inferior players to Kessel and 6-7 fewer minutes each game? It's just common sense.
No I don't think he'd produce the same numbers in different situations. Doesn't make him a "garbage" hockey player. If it makes you feel better I'd say he is firmly better than guys like Matt Stajan.

He is still better than every center on our roster but one, and even then their production might be close by the Pauser's Unique Points System standard.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
UFA for UFA - Raymond for Bozak??? A trade of necessity.
Bozak is garbage. I'd rather trade Raymond for Clowe.
A center with 10 goals and a 53% FO rating? Where's the garbage in that?
How many goals does Clowe have again?
How many centers do we have now with >50% FO?
Clowe is a Left Winger you Clown :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

dbr wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
No I don't think he'd produce the same numbers in different situations. Doesn't make him a "garbage" hockey player. If it makes you feel better I'd say he is firmly better than guys like Matt Stajan.

He is still better than every center on our roster but one, and even then their production might be close by the Pauser's Unique Points System standard.
What the hell are you talking about? Please, if you want a solid discussion then don't talk out of your ass about things you don't understand.

You really think Bozak is a better center than Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler?

Bozak is an average 3C who will cost a lot more than he's worth. He's the anti-moneypuck player.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The_Pauser wrote:
dbr wrote:No I don't think he'd produce the same numbers in different situations. Doesn't make him a "garbage" hockey player. If it makes you feel better I'd say he is firmly better than guys like Matt Stajan.

What the hell are you talking about?
I was explaining your irrational hatred of Tyler Bozak to another poster who perhaps is unaware of your misadventures on other boards. Remind me again why we lost the SCF in 2011? :lol:
Please, if you want a solid discussion then don't talk out of your ass about things you don't understand.
You're right, I should leave it to more sophisticated thinkers than I to try to invent metrics for offensive production that invalidate the achievements of players I don't personally like.
You really think Bozak is a better center than Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler?
No, if you go back and reread my post I said " better than every center on our roster but one," just to help you along here the bold part excludes Ryan Kesler and the italics exclude Henrik Sedin.

So I think Bozak is a better center than Max Lapierre - at least based on Max's play this season (he's certainly capable of elevating his game), and Jordan Schroeder. Didn't think that would be super controversial but I suppose it is if you completely misread it to mean something other than what I said.
Bozak is an average 3C who will cost a lot more than he's worth. He's the anti-moneypuck player.
This I agree with, but of course I never advocated trading for him.

I just don't think "an average 3C" is "garbage" or "a crap hockey player" - in fact this team badly needs "an average 3C" right about now.. and just to stop your other hobby horse in its tracks this team needs a lot more than a third line center right now but that doesn't mean they don't also need that player.