Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:09 pm
Contact:

Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Tiger » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:34 pm

According to Sportsnet..and going to move them to Abbortsford.. The Flames moving their team to the East.. Deal is waiting AHL/Nhl approval. But would be great to have our prospects/callups close at hand..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7230
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Cornuck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Great news - also a great deal for the fans to check out the prospects.
2017 - The Road to 65™

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4143
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Uncle dans leg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Welcome to the fishbowl kiddies....better not fuck up!
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2794
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Aaronp18 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:59 pm

I read on the Twitter that the deal to move Peoria to Abby is contingent on the Canucks working out a deal with the City of Abbotsford so the Flames can move to Utica. Or the other way around, in order for the Flames to move to Utica the City of Abbotsford must reach a deal with the Canucks so the current Flamer lease can be broken.

Whatever, shouldn't be an issue considering they are losing fistfuls of cash having the baby Flamers there now.

User avatar
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Zamboni Driver » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Cornuck wrote:Great news - also a great deal for the fans to check out the prospects.
Wow! Finally!
Actually I was thinking that Seattle would be the place to have the 'nucks AHL team, to boost interest there.
But Abbotsford works fine, I guess....

So is this rhe end of the Abbotsford Heat? I can't imagine that they could use the same name. :hmmm:

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12344
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:I read on the Twitter that the deal to move Peoria to Abby is contingent on the Canucks working out a deal with the City of Abbotsford so the Flames can move to Utica. Or the other way around, in order for the Flames to move to Utica the City of Abbotsford must reach a deal with the Canucks so the current Flamer lease can be broken.

Whatever, shouldn't be an issue considering they are losing fistfuls of cash having the baby Flamers there now.

It is being rumoured that Acquilini has purchased the Abbotsford entertainment and sport complex and the deal will be announced when the Heat season ends. That will allow him to let the Heat out of their deal and move his new team in. But this is rumour at this point.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3209
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Reefer2 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Not sure of Aqua buying the whole complex but would not surprise me.

The Langley complex is always busy with different events such as the BC Basketball finals and then other events.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 10823
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by RoyalDude » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Reefer2 wrote:Not sure of Aqua buying the whole complex but would not surprise me.

The Langley complex is always busy with different events such as the BC Basketball finals and then other events.
Nickleback concerts?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9352
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Topper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:25 pm

I posted this the other day.
Topper wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:Didn't see this anywhere else, but it would appear the Canucks are one step closer to, at the very least, purchasig their own farm club and leaving Chicago.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x1037530003/ ... re-leaving
I hope the Canucks do not move the farm team to Abby.

While the kids may have greater access to the Canuck training staff (I'm thinking primarily fitness and dietary staff), I like the idea of keeping the kids away from the media circus of Vancouver. Look at how the TO media feasts on Leaf lineup decisions and call ups with the Marlies. Our developing players don't need that interference.

The other reasoning for a mid western farm team is ease of emergency call ups, especially while on the road. A midwest US location is a few hours from any NHL city if you need a player in a hurry.

I admit there are probably many financial benefits to having the farm team closer to home. Gate receipts will benefit, as will merchandising. There could also be some front office savings with shared administration, but I don't see these offsetting the distraction of local parent team, media and fan scrutiny.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2794
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Aaronp18 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Tom Mayenknecht tweets:

1) Moving parts on AHL musical chairs continue to move but (a) @NHLFlames still hold hammer on Abbotsford; (b) real estate tie-ins are hot.

2) ...it's those considerations that need full & proper resolution before front channels confirm back channel talk on AHL carousel re: Abby.

3) On AHL carousel @NHLFlames will not announce relocation of Abbotsford Heat until deals w/ @VanCanucks & City of Abbotsford are completed...

4) ...and that's where this whole scenario has been so complicated from start, with guaranteed supply deal & no opt-out for Flames til year 5.

5) On AHL carousel: Part 1 done; Part 2 Wolves-STL; For Part 3 @NHLFlames need new sweetheart deal (Utica) to exit sweetheart deal in Abby...

6) ...and @VanCanucks need additional business incentive to move their newly-acquired AHL team to Abbotsford = real estate play. #musicalchairs

7) Additional leverage for @VanCanucks is their option to move new AHL team into lower bowl at Rogers Arena for 2013-'14. Abby is Plan A.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9352
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Topper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Giant slayer.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5719
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Meds » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 pm

A very interesting set of pros and cons on this......

I wonder if having the AHL team close, and fans seeing first-hand what our prospects can do, would maybe make management a little bit quicker to wield a heavy hammer with the NHL roster when players flounder and play uninspired hockey.

Also.....can you demote your coach to the farm if he's doing a shitty job? Or would he have to clear waivers too..... :P

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Arachnid » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Meds wrote:A very interesting set of pros and cons on this......

I wonder if having the AHL team close, and fans seeing first-hand what our prospects can do, would maybe make management a little bit quicker to wield a heavy hammer with the NHL roster when players flounder and play uninspired hockey.

Also.....can you demote your coach to the farm if he's doing a shitty job? Or would he have to clear waivers too..... :P
It worked fro the Laughs, just say'n :?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by CFP! » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Moving them to Abby, Aquaman buying the center, having the travel time for the players to the East, interrupting the BCHL Cheifs.

Most definitely a April fools joke. If you actually look at the AHL map of teams it's really silly to have a team way out west unless GMMG is planning on developing his own league....or AHL division. Team up the Western NHL teams and have and East and West AHL conferences. Regardless, the fans wont come.

Having them in the midwest still makes most sense. Especially if we are on a road trip. :drink:

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7687
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks buy Peoria Rivermen - AHL

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:17 pm

CFP! wrote:Moving them to Abby, Aquaman buying the center, having the travel time for the players to the East, interrupting the BCHL Cheifs.

Most definitely a April fools joke. If you actually look at the AHL map of teams it's really silly to have a team way out west unless GMMG is planning on developing his own league....or AHL division. Team up the Western NHL teams and have and East and West AHL conferences. Regardless, the fans wont come.

Having them in the midwest still makes most sense. Especially if we are on a road trip. :drink:
Why do the Canucks give a shit about the BCHL??

This means AHL players can live in Vancouver, play 1/2 their games locally, and the transition from AHL to NHL is that much easier.

When they're in Chicago the best case scenario is the Canucks are playing out East when they're called up. Moving them here gives them a 50/50 shot of any call-up being a local pick-up.

Post Reply