So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Postby Diehard1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Gillis re #Luongo, "we're talking to 4 teams with varying levels of activity and various proposals" #canucks

Looks like it's coming to a head - really hope they get this thing done, I'm tired of the Luongo circus and I'm sure the team is too.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby ukcanuck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Gillis re #Luongo, "we're talking to 4 teams with varying levels of activity and various proposals" #canucks

Looks like it's coming to a head - really hope they get this thing done, I'm tired of the Luongo circus and I'm sure the team is too.

Seriously, what circus??
You mean the non issue the media keeps trying to turn in to one ?

Otherwise in what way has it affected the team?
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby FAN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:53 pm

BigTuna wrote: Why are you bringing up Jim Carey? He actually had a good career given expectations. Kadri on the other hand, was a 7th overall pick and was a terrific player at every level before going to the NHL. This was expected of it.

So a player not expected to make the NHL who plays one game in the NHL but only plays two years of pro hockey has had a good career? Is that hockey career or NHL career or both?
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:19 pm

doug maclean is reporting that the Nucks and Leafs had a deal in place for Luo back in the summer, but lou turned it down cuz he thot florida was going to pull through. Wow, so maybe MG would of taken kadri and bozak and we'd be sitting pretty right now. :(

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/macl ... -to-leafs/
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:24 pm

ukcanuck wrote:Otherwise in what way has it affected the team?

Not having a player who could help us, i.e. a centre, a goal scorer on the 2nd line, a right hand defenseman with some offense to his game instead of a starting goalie with a big contract sitting on the bench.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Just talked to a friend. Luongo's agent has had some discussions with MG but as of yet Luongo has not been asked to waive. My sense is that MG has unofficially asked if the teams he is in discussion with are ones Luongo would consider waiving to go to. Told his agent that offers are not quit where they need to be but that a few teams are preparing final offers. Haven't heard who the teams are but have heard that Luongo feels a deal over the next few days maybe more likely than it was a month ago but he still has not been asked to waive. He is fine with staying here until the season is over.

MG has also been told by more than one team that they can't do a trade until after the season is ended when they can exercise buy outs, unless MG wants term back now, which he does not.

In other words, nothing new to report on the Luongo front.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Just talked to a friend. Luongo's agent has had some discussions with MG but as of yet Luongo has not been asked to waive. My sense is that MG has unofficially asked if the teams he is in discussion with are ones Luongo would consider waiving to go to. Told his agent that offers are not quit where they need to be but that a few teams are preparing final offers. Haven't heard who the teams are but have heard that Luongo feels a deal over the next few days maybe more likely than it was a month ago but he still has not been asked to waive. He is fine with staying here until the season is over.

MG has also been told by more than one team that they can't do a trade until after the season is ended when they can exercise buy outs, unless MG wants term back now, which he does not.

Good scoop! I'd say it ends up happening this summer, judging by what you've noted here.
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:47 pm

One thing here, if there was a deal in place with Toronto that Luongo nixed, and he now regrets that, why is that deal not consummated now? Obviously Toronto was prepared to part with players and or prospects and or picks they felt they could give up to get a goalie they wanted. If that is the case they should still be willing to part with those same pieces, if Luongo has changed his mind and now would waive. Oh because we think the players are the ones having great years and now Nonis doesn't want to part with them? Maybe he doesn't value Luongo anymore? Maybe he will make that deal in the off season?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Just talked to a friend. Luongo's agent has had some discussions with MG but as of yet Luongo has not been asked to waive. My sense is that MG has unofficially asked if the teams he is in discussion with are ones Luongo would consider waiving to go to. Told his agent that offers are not quit where they need to be but that a few teams are preparing final offers. Haven't heard who the teams are but have heard that Luongo feels a deal over the next few days maybe more likely than it was a month ago but he still has not been asked to waive. He is fine with staying here until the season is over.

It's gonna be a summer deal, me thinks. Unfortunately for Lou, do not see it being one of the Florida teams. It's just not a fit, especially with his beloved Panthers as they are the poster child of REBUILD at the momment, gotta a good crop of youth to build around and will end up with a very good prospect from this draft. For some reason, with the whole exercising buyout thing this summer that the Philadelphia Flyers keep coming to mind. Holmgren is crazy and Snyder doesn't mind spending ridiculous money, but will he spend that huge on buying out Bryz?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:51 pm

I think Tampa is a better fit frankly. They have a strong offence and an above average defence that plays average most nights. They just may be too far out of the playoffs to make a push this year but I think with Luongo in net they make the playoffs. But thats just me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Gotta think maybe the Canes are 1 team in the mix. Ward is down for another 4 weeks minimum and tthey're only a point or 2 back and have had shit goaltending since he's been gone. They loaded up on talent and I can't see them just flushing a year away. McBain and Jokinen?
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Cornuck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:Gotta think maybe the Canes are 1 team in the mix. Ward is down for another 4 weeks minimum and tthey're only a point or 2 back and have had shit goaltending since he's been gone. They loaded up on talent and I can't see them just flushing a year away. McBain and Jokinen?

And then when Ward comes back? It'll be the same situation that we have here now.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:Gotta think maybe the Canes are 1 team in the mix. Ward is down for another 4 weeks minimum and tthey're only a point or 2 back and have had shit goaltending since he's been gone. They loaded up on talent and I can't see them just flushing a year away. McBain and Jokinen?

They might take a run at Miller who only has one year left on his deal.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Maybe they move Ward this summer? He carries a 6.4 mill cap hit
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:11 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Otherwise in what way has it affected the team?

Not having a player who could help us, i.e. a centre, a goal scorer on the 2nd line, a right hand defenseman with some offense to his game instead of a starting goalie with a big contract sitting on the bench.

That hardly qualifies as a circus distraction to the team or otherwise poorly affects the performance of the players who are here...
I do not buy the distraction argument. Whatever ails the Canucks play its not the fact that Luongo is still on the roster ...

Edit: another example of your penchant to troll...Luongo has not been uselessly glued to the bench all season, he has contributed wins and provides elite level insurance...

Stop undervaluing and over estimating
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat