So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: So, who would you like in a return for Luongo

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: Otherwise in what way has it affected the team?
Not having a player who could help us, i.e. a centre, a goal scorer on the 2nd line, a right hand defenseman with some offense to his game instead of a starting goalie with a big contract sitting on the bench.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Just talked to a friend. Luongo's agent has had some discussions with MG but as of yet Luongo has not been asked to waive. My sense is that MG has unofficially asked if the teams he is in discussion with are ones Luongo would consider waiving to go to. Told his agent that offers are not quit where they need to be but that a few teams are preparing final offers. Haven't heard who the teams are but have heard that Luongo feels a deal over the next few days maybe more likely than it was a month ago but he still has not been asked to waive. He is fine with staying here until the season is over.

MG has also been told by more than one team that they can't do a trade until after the season is ended when they can exercise buy outs, unless MG wants term back now, which he does not.

In other words, nothing new to report on the Luongo front.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote:Just talked to a friend. Luongo's agent has had some discussions with MG but as of yet Luongo has not been asked to waive. My sense is that MG has unofficially asked if the teams he is in discussion with are ones Luongo would consider waiving to go to. Told his agent that offers are not quit where they need to be but that a few teams are preparing final offers. Haven't heard who the teams are but have heard that Luongo feels a deal over the next few days maybe more likely than it was a month ago but he still has not been asked to waive. He is fine with staying here until the season is over.

MG has also been told by more than one team that they can't do a trade until after the season is ended when they can exercise buy outs, unless MG wants term back now, which he does not.

Good scoop! I'd say it ends up happening this summer, judging by what you've noted here.
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

One thing here, if there was a deal in place with Toronto that Luongo nixed, and he now regrets that, why is that deal not consummated now? Obviously Toronto was prepared to part with players and or prospects and or picks they felt they could give up to get a goalie they wanted. If that is the case they should still be willing to part with those same pieces, if Luongo has changed his mind and now would waive. Oh because we think the players are the ones having great years and now Nonis doesn't want to part with them? Maybe he doesn't value Luongo anymore? Maybe he will make that deal in the off season?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:Just talked to a friend. Luongo's agent has had some discussions with MG but as of yet Luongo has not been asked to waive. My sense is that MG has unofficially asked if the teams he is in discussion with are ones Luongo would consider waiving to go to. Told his agent that offers are not quit where they need to be but that a few teams are preparing final offers. Haven't heard who the teams are but have heard that Luongo feels a deal over the next few days maybe more likely than it was a month ago but he still has not been asked to waive. He is fine with staying here until the season is over.

It's gonna be a summer deal, me thinks. Unfortunately for Lou, do not see it being one of the Florida teams. It's just not a fit, especially with his beloved Panthers as they are the poster child of REBUILD at the momment, gotta a good crop of youth to build around and will end up with a very good prospect from this draft. For some reason, with the whole exercising buyout thing this summer that the Philadelphia Flyers keep coming to mind. Holmgren is crazy and Snyder doesn't mind spending ridiculous money, but will he spend that huge on buying out Bryz?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think Tampa is a better fit frankly. They have a strong offence and an above average defence that plays average most nights. They just may be too far out of the playoffs to make a push this year but I think with Luongo in net they make the playoffs. But thats just me.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Gotta think maybe the Canes are 1 team in the mix. Ward is down for another 4 weeks minimum and tthey're only a point or 2 back and have had shit goaltending since he's been gone. They loaded up on talent and I can't see them just flushing a year away. McBain and Jokinen?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Gotta think maybe the Canes are 1 team in the mix. Ward is down for another 4 weeks minimum and tthey're only a point or 2 back and have had shit goaltending since he's been gone. They loaded up on talent and I can't see them just flushing a year away. McBain and Jokinen?
And then when Ward comes back? It'll be the same situation that we have here now.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Gotta think maybe the Canes are 1 team in the mix. Ward is down for another 4 weeks minimum and tthey're only a point or 2 back and have had shit goaltending since he's been gone. They loaded up on talent and I can't see them just flushing a year away. McBain and Jokinen?

They might take a run at Miller who only has one year left on his deal.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Maybe they move Ward this summer? He carries a 6.4 mill cap hit
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
Not having a player who could help us, i.e. a centre, a goal scorer on the 2nd line, a right hand defenseman with some offense to his game instead of a starting goalie with a big contract sitting on the bench.
That hardly qualifies as a circus distraction to the team or otherwise poorly affects the performance of the players who are here...
I do not buy the distraction argument. Whatever ails the Canucks play its not the fact that Luongo is still on the roster ...

Edit: another example of your penchant to troll...Luongo has not been uselessly glued to the bench all season, he has contributed wins and provides elite level insurance...

Stop undervaluing and over estimating
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Sweet would be shipping Luongo east then he knocks the Laffs out of the playoffs while Reimer implodes...I can see that greasy chin dripping with regret right now...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Sweet would be shipping Luongo east then he knocks the Laffs out of the playoffs while Reimer implodes...I can see that greasy chin dripping with regret right now...
If that was a certainty I would take a bag of pucks for Luongo to make it happen :D
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
What dude said - and the fact that it's been a topic of conversation for almost a year. Do you really want to have the issue of 'who domtheynplay next game?' If Schneids has a slightly sloppy game in the playoffs?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Diehard1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
What dude said - and the fact that it's been a topic of conversation for almost a year. Do you really want to have the issue of 'who domtheynplay next game?' If Schneids has a slightly sloppy game in the playoffs?
I want that option if he does shat the bed yeah.
Just to be clear here, I'm not saying we should trade Luongo as soon as profitable. I'm saying the idea that having Luongo on the roster is a circus and luggage eyes should fall over himself to trade Luongo because of it is crap.