Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

wafflecombine wrote:Keep it in the closet eh RD?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

While we are on your favorite topic Waffle...if ya don't mind people coming out in the open like old Pastor Booth, then I guess ya would mind gay hockey players talking about getting a good ass fucking as well.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

okcanuck wrote:RD are you critical of Gillis for not making a deal with the Laughs in the summer?

Were you after Gillis for not making a trade with the leaves in the summer? simple question
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

okcanuck wrote:
okcanuck wrote:RD are you critical of Gillis for not making a deal with the Laughs in the summer?

Were you after Gillis for not making a trade with the leaves in the summer? simple question
The bottom line is, I'm a fan only, not the one in charge of making important decisions for a professional hockey club. My opinion means fuck all. All a fan can do is give his personal feelings on a GM's decision makings and so far Gillis waffling, fence sitting, stubborn over evaluations of his own players, useless tinkering, bad drafting, bad trading, bad contracts is fucking this team over. He is the one to be judged not I.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote:People are entitled to their faith's, I respect that, but keep that shite to yourself.
You should follow your own advice RD.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:People are entitled to their faith's, I respect that, but keep that shite to yourself.
I'm a man of faith? and I spew it like Booth? News to me
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote:
vic wrote:
I'm a man of faith? and I spew it like Booth? News to me
Your a racist who like to talk shit about other people's faiths and religions. Keep that shit to yourself.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote:
Your a racist who like to talk shit about other people's faiths and religions. Keep that shit to yourself.
I'm a racist? Evidence other than a few harmless slags on the community of Abbotsford? As for religion, I just don't believe in Fairy tales where there are cute little girls with wings, cupids with harps and bow and arrows, dudes in long white beards and white garb sitting on clouds throwing lightning bolts, causing earthquakes and creating floods when angry or parting seas when giving a helping hand to a bunch of jews. I will let Booth handle all that.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

RoyalDude wrote:
wafflecombine wrote:Keep it in the closet eh RD?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

While we are on your favorite topic Waffle...if ya don't mind people coming out in the open like old Pastor Booth, then I guess ya would mind gay hockey players talking about getting a good ass fucking as well.
lol.. such vitriol.

For the record, I don't give two shits about a persons orientation or religion. This is especially true when talking about professional atheletes. I personally think Booth is way under achieving in comparision to the role he should have and the money he is paid. But seriously... who gives a rats ass about his religious preference or the vocal nature of his faith. If he wants to thank Jesus, Allah, Gia, Odin or Yoda for whatever... I just don't care. All I care about is goals and wins... but then again I don't mix peripheral issues with my hockey like you seem to do.

Critique away on his play, cabability, under-achievement, lack of chemistry, poor puck handling, one dimensional play or hockey specific skills. If all you got to play is the religious card, maybe CDC is a better venue for your viewpoint.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
Actually you did exactly that - defended Nonis' drafting - 'I'm still waiting for Gillis to have a draft like Nonis did in 2004'.

I love the argument of 'Nonis and Burke drafted everyone'. It's such a stupid argument - they threw away 5 seasons of hockey, or perhaps you forget 96 through 2002? Their reward? They were able to draft the twins and Bryan Allen, who was a major piece of the Luongo trade. Keenan got McCabe, Bertuzzi and Jarkko Ruutu for Linden so he should get just as much credit as Burke for the twins, given McCabe and a 1st (Vorobiev) turned into Henrik Sedin, but nobody gives him any love. Edler was 21 when Nonis was fired - yes Nonis drafted him but Gillis and team developed him into a top level dman. Same with Hansen, who played all of 5 NHL games under Nonis - his development is all Gillis. Kes was a 30 point 3rd line NHLer under Nonis, it was Gillis who brought in Sundin who had a huge hand in helping Kes turn into a top notch player. Burrows wasn't Burke, he was a Moose signing (Cheveldayoff) so he gets zero credit there.

I've criticized Gillis' handling of the Lu situation, and I will criticize it even more if Lu is still a Canuck in 48 hours. Same with Ballard (should have cut bait last off-season). Booth I still think needs some time, if he can ever get any damn luck and stay healthy. You do nothing but criticize without giving any credit for his good moves (Hamhuis, Garrison, Tanev, and keeping pretty much every player on the team for below market value), can't have it both ways my friend.

You really should go cheer for Florida, they are great at being ranked highly by Hockey's Future (which you love) and not coming anywhere close to being an elite team while throwing away year after year. Those are the things you cheer for.
Breath Diehard, take a deep breath

So, according to you, you give no credit to the people (previous mgmt) that brought in the players to this organization who are the core elite group of the team that Gillis has been riding the coattails of since he got here, but now since this group seemingly is on the down slide, getting stale and in need of a serious new addition to, it just proves that Gillis has not added any significant pieces of his own other than signing to BC born and raised defenseman WHO WANTED TO SIGN HERE regardless of who the GM was here.

So in short, you are saying, if it were not for Gillis and Matts Sundin these core group players like the Sedins, Kesler, Edler Bieksa, Schneider, etc would never have become the players they are today. Holy shit Batman, Gillis is fucking brilliant. (I love how AV was left out of the discussion by Diehard, but I digress)

Nonis drafted Schneider late in the draft, Burke drafted Kesler late in the draft - two very important cogs to the Canucks machine at the momment, but no credit given. IT'S ALL GILLIS!

Gillis currently has the best goalie tandem in the NHL, who brought those two goalies in? And just how good would Gillis be without them, cause it seems to me that it's the goaltending right now that is the lifeblood of this organization. Without them, we are riding shotgun with Florida Panther bottom feeders, cause we certainly cannot count on our scoring which is 19th in the league and PP which is 30th. Something that Gillis chooses not to deal with. I really cannot wait to see Gillis add some 3rd or 4th line talent and 5th, 6th,7th type D-men at the trade deadline like he always does like it's really gonna help. Until Gillis manages to figure out how to put his own mark to the core elite group of this team and not ride on Burkes and Nonis, I will then give him credit.

And Diehard, I am not the only critic of Gillis drafting, even Gillis good buddie's and flag wavers on 1040 mainly Tony Eor Gallagher have been calling out Gillis and his drafting which to put lightly, has been atrocious, yet the Player Agent, shitty GM, good executive Gillis shows us his patented, undeserving arrogance, at his hiring by slagging Nonis for leaving the cupboards bare all the while every pundit across this nation rate the Canucks prospect list as worst in the NHL? Don't shoot the messenger, Diehard, get mad at Gillis and his merry men of homo's.

And please do not use the late drafting excuse for Gillis, Teams like the Bruins have managed to draft the likes of Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and Marchand outside the 2nd round in recent drafts. The Blues always seem to find gems late in the draft and outside the first as well as a boat load of other teams. Just no excuses for Gillis making the cupboards as bare as they are now, which is the worst in Canuck history.
Easy big guy - been on message boards a lot longer than you so I'm quite calm, just enjoying poking numerous holes in your argument! :D

I dont' remember saying Burkie and Nonis don't deserve some credit for drafting those players, but they didn't develop them. Kesler and Schneider were 1st round picks too, that's not late in the draft.

My point is that you have to give credit to all the last GMs for this team, good and bad - Gillis developed a lot of these players and was able to sign them to below market deals, allowing him to add to the core. Nonis had some good drafts (2004) and some bad ones (every other one he presided over). He and Burkie did some good things but also were hesitant to pull the trigger when needed when everybody in the world knew what the holes in this team were.

I love that you use Marchand twice in your example thouhg, that's great if they can get double credit for him. The Nucks would be riding shotgun without the goalies eh? Then how do we give Nonis and Burkie all this credot for Kesler, Bieksa, Raymond, Hansen et al? If the team sucks that badly without the goalies doesnt it stand to reason that these players also suck? Not sure why we haved to give them all this credit if they drafted shitty players.

As I said before you decided to go on yet another rant, ig GIllis does nothing to improve the team this deadline I will definitely criticize him, as I've already done for the Ballard trade. You will criticize him whatever happens, because that's what you do.

We'll see what happens.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mondi wrote: Noah's Ark...seriously? That happened?
It could've happened... :look:

All jesus freak content aside, the guy is a decent player who hasn't performed up to his paycheque yet. I strongly believe he has much more to contribute and for whatever reasons, be it injury or confidence, will find his game. He is the hardest hitter we have, a tireless forechecker, draws tons of penalties and drives the net hard and often.

The Canucks are a better team with him in the line up and since we will be getting Booth and Kesler back in time for the first round I think it's a little premature to start slitting our wrists over the current team scoring struggles. This is a team that knows how to win and I'm thinking the difficult year they've had will go a long way towards focusing a group that hasn't been on track for over a year.
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Ok - end the religion debates - it's a fuckin' hockey board, remember?

I'm on a short fuse this week and would love the chance to start disabling accounts.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
okcanuck wrote:

The bottom line is, I'm a fan only, not the one in charge of making important decisions for a professional hockey club. My opinion means fuck all. All a fan can do is give his personal feelings on a GM's decision makings and so far Gillis waffling, fence sitting, stubborn over evaluations of his own players, useless tinkering, bad drafting, bad trading, bad contracts is fucking this team over. He is the one to be judged not I.
You didn't really answer the question,but what if you knew that Luongo squashed the Laughs deal in the summer,which tied Gillis's hands,because thats exactly what happened.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Diehard said:
The Nucks would be riding shotgun without the goalies eh? Then how do we give Nonis and Burkie all this credot for Kesler, Bieksa, Raymond, Hansen et al? If the team sucks that badly without the goalies doesnt it stand to reason that these players also suck? Not sure why we haved to give them all this credit if they drafted shitty players.

As I said before you decided to go on yet another rant, ig GIllis does nothing to improve the team this deadline I will definitely criticize him, as I've already done for the Ballard trade. You will criticize him whatever happens, because that's what you do.

We'll see what happens.
OK I can agree on that to a certain point.. But so far Gillis's track record is not good..If he can pull the rabbit out of the hat and make the Canucks into a contender again before next season starts it will be a miracle ( Maybe Booths praying will do it? ).
The Sedins are declining and there are no replacements in sight. Maybe they could build a new first line around Kesler if he returns from injury in top playing shape? Use the Sedins as the best 2nd line in hockey? Dunno if he's got the cap space or jam to pull that off and not sure which players could be added through trade or free agency.. But like you say .." Lets see what happens".
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Sedins have said they want one more contract after their current one expires. They want it to be with the Canucks. Whether they take one year deals here on out who knows but I would think they will get one more contract with MG. Maybe a 2 year deal for a reduced cap hit. Maybe as much as 1-1.5 reduced each. I think we have a few more years with the twins so it's not like we have to have these replacements in place for the 2015 season. Soon, but not that soon.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

okcanuck wrote:
You didn't really answer the question,but what if you knew that Luongo squashed the Laughs deal in the summer,which tied Gillis's hands,because thats exactly what happened.
Just curious, what do you think of HW's inside source saying that to date Lou has never been asked to waive his NTC? What does that mean? Give me a hockey lesson.