Canucks Call Up Jensen, Kassian demoted

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Call Up Jensen, Kassian demoted

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote:So Kassian was sent down to get more minutes because in AV's system ZK is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th liner.

Jensen, on the other hand, is a guy who's never played an NHL game in his life, and has played a handful (or 2) games in the North American system is being called up to get 1st line minutes.
Well, when Zack stopped making like Anson Carter and Jason King and was no longer converting on the Sedins good work, Burrows was put back with the Sedins, Kass's game started tanking from then on. It's called trying a new angle to see if it works when another angle is no longer working.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote:
vic wrote:So Kassian was sent down to get more minutes because in AV's system ZK is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th liner.

Jensen, on the other hand, is a guy who's never played an NHL game in his life, and has played a handful (or 2) games in the North American system is being called up to get 1st line minutes.
Well, when Zack stopped making like Anson Carter and Jason King and was no longer converting on the Sedins good work, Burrows was put back with the Sedins, Kass's game started tanking from then on. It's called trying a new angle to see if it works when another angle is no longer working.
Only 3 of his 8 points have a Sedin on the score sheet, he's never assisted on one of their goals, but does have an assist with Henrik on one of Garrison's goals (another one of your favorites)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote: Only 3 of his 8 points have a Sedin on the score sheet, he's never assisted on one of their goals, but does have an assist with Henrik on one of Garrison's goals (another one of your favorites)
Garrison is in my good books now, although if he had better control on his shots instead of just trying to drive it out of the park, he'd might have more goals. I have a mandate when it comes to professional sports that is based upon the 'what have you done for me lately' theory. I'm not like Blobby in that I evaluate players on where they were drafted 10 years ago or that they scored 30 goals 5 years ago. I am not a completely closed book, I recognize that Gillis is a good hockey executive, I believe he is more cut out to being a President of a team instead of a GM, I really think he sucks at player evaluating, that ain't a stretch. I am still leaving an open door for Gillis to win me back with the outcome of the Luongo trade, but I think it's too late, he's dropped the ball on that one big time, but who knows, miracles have happened, it will also be interesting to see how he handles the team cap situation next year. This is make or break time for Mikey, we get to see what he's truly made of as a GM and I'm open to that. I know I slag his drafting but Gaunce, Corrado and Jensen as well as little Ricky Schroeder may just save him in that department but we will see, they've proven nothing yet. Outside of that Kassian has done fuck all for me lately as well as Booth, Ballard and then you have 'cross the blue line wrister to the chest' - Kesler who stunk last season and I am also getting fucking tired of his constant string of injuries, there is talent to staying healthy. I simply do not like Booth. Ballad I don't mind just because he seems like a decent dude but he just doesn't possess a very sound hockey mind, positionally he sucks massive. Booth is just too flakey for my liking, his level of passion on the ice, leaves a lot to be desired, not to mention his terrible anticipation of play and terrible puck possession skills, stick handling and passing. There is a reason why Booth never gets PP time, shoot out time, PK time. He's one move Booth with a big fat long term contract that could be put to better use elsewhere.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

RoyalDude wrote:Well, when Zack stopped making like Anson Carter and Jason King and was no longer converting on the Sedins good work, Burrows was put back with the Sedins, Kass's game started tanking from then on. It's called trying a new angle to see if it works when another angle is no longer working.
Zack Kassian 1 (Assists: Daniel Sedin 2, Henrik Sedin 2)
Zack Kassian 2 (Unassisted)
Zack Kassian 3 (power play) (Assists: Daniel Sedin 4, Henrik Sedin 4)
Zack Kassian 4 (Assists: Alexander Edler 3, Dan Hamhuis 3)
Zack Kassian 5 (power play) (Assists: Dan Hamhuis 4, Alexander Edler 4)

Zack can operate without the Sedins too RD.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

griz wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Well, when Zack stopped making like Anson Carter and Jason King and was no longer converting on the Sedins good work, Burrows was put back with the Sedins, Kass's game started tanking from then on. It's called trying a new angle to see if it works when another angle is no longer working.
Zack Kassian 1 (Assists: Daniel Sedin 2, Henrik Sedin 2)
Zack Kassian 2 (Unassisted)
Zack Kassian 3 (power play) (Assists: Daniel Sedin 4, Henrik Sedin 4)
Zack Kassian 4 (Assists: Alexander Edler 3, Dan Hamhuis 3)
Zack Kassian 5 (power play) (Assists: Dan Hamhuis 4, Alexander Edler 4)

Zack can operate without the Sedins too RD.
Curious, on goals 2,4 and 5...were the Sedins on the ice? That would go a long ways to TRULY justifying your retort.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With Kassian I have to keep reminding myself that he is one year behind Cody in development. I really like what he brings to the team and I like how he came to camp in shape. Her is hoping he gets 4-5 games with the Wolves and is ready to come back and light it up.
The only HW the Canucks need
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

RoyalDude wrote:Curious, on goals 2,4 and 5...were the Sedins on the ice? That would go a long ways to TRULY justifying your retort.
I don't know. I do remember being surprised at how well he could play without having to lean on the Sedins. Don't get me wrong though -- the Sedins could turn crap into candy. What I'm suggesting is that Kassian is no Carter or King.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:
vic wrote: Only 3 of his 8 points have a Sedin on the score sheet, he's never assisted on one of their goals, but does have an assist with Henrik on one of Garrison's goals (another one of your favorites)
Garrison is in my good books now, although if he had better control on his shots instead of just trying to drive it out of the park, he'd might have more goals. I have a mandate when it comes to professional sports that is based upon the 'what have you done for me lately' theory. I'm not like Blobby in that I evaluate players on where they were drafted 10 years ago or that they scored 30 goals 5 years ago. I am not a completely closed book, I recognize that Gillis is a good hockey executive, I believe he is more cut out to being a President of a team instead of a GM, I really think he sucks at player evaluating, that ain't a stretch. I am still leaving an open door for Gillis to win me back with the outcome of the Luongo trade, but I think it's too late, he's dropped the ball on that one big time, but who knows, miracles have happened, it will also be interesting to see how he handles the team cap situation next year. This is make or break time for Mikey, we get to see what he's truly made of as a GM and I'm open to that. I know I slag his drafting but Gaunce, Corrado and Jensen as well as little Ricky Schroeder may just save him in that department but we will see, they've proven nothing yet. Outside of that Kassian has done fuck all for me lately as well as Booth, Ballard and then you have 'cross the blue line wrister to the chest' - Kesler who stunk last season and I am also getting fucking tired of his constant string of injuries, there is talent to staying healthy. I simply do not like Booth. Ballad I don't mind just because he seems like a decent dude but he just doesn't possess a very sound hockey mind, positionally he sucks massive. Booth is just too flakey for my liking, his level of passion on the ice, leaves a lot to be desired, not to mention his terrible anticipation of play and terrible puck possession skills, stick handling and passing. There is a reason why Booth never gets PP time, shoot out time, PK time. He's one move Booth with a big fat long term contract that could be put to better use elsewhere.
Good post there RD.
Booth could actually be decent as a 3rd/4th liner, his drive to the net and taking the body is something that the team needs, but 4.2 mil for a bottom 6 who can't usually put the puck in the net is waaaay overpriced
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Gillman was saying today that nothing is free in the NHL and it's a results orientated business on the Kassassian demotion. I think managment is trying to light a fire in the butt of Kassian to get him going a bit. They want kassian to get pissed off, work his butt off with the wolves and come back hungry. Surely Kassian is better than the likes of Sweatt, Jensen and Pinozotto right now. If the nucks are going anywhere in the playoffs, they're going to need Kassian playing like he did @ the beginning of the season. Even if he doesn't score alot, we'll need his physical presence and chip in with an occasional goal.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

griz wrote:I don't see this as a demotion for Kassian. It'll allow him to play a bunch and fuel his hunger to return to the NHL right before the playoffs start. Remember how Kassian started the season? I think we'll see that again. Besides, we all want to see Jensen.

I'm a big Hodgson fan. But I'm also a big Kassian fan now too. In time I think most will be very pleased to have Zack on the team. Comparing him to Cody is kind of stupid if only points are considered. Zack brings other assets Cody cannot. Not saying you're stupid RD. Just sayin.

Wow are Edmonton fans loud and Calgary fans quiet these days. I understand why, but loud fans are usually idiots. And there seems to be many in Edmonton posting crap all over the Internet. Is it *really* that cold and dark there through the winter? Shit they acted like they won the stanley cup last night. Nothing wrong with enthusiasm, but that was a flat, uninspired and unprepared Canucks team. Celebrate when you can beat them at their best (i.e. in a playoff series).
I'm hearing that Zack's professionalism off the ice and how he prepares himself, carries himself and overall maturity leaves a lot to be desired. I've even heard O'Brien comparisons, but not that extreme. Hopefully the kid sees the light one day, but hey, this has always been Zacks criticism since his OHL days. He's got all the tools, hopefully he can find the toolbox sooner than later, or should I say, desire to be as good as he can be. It's the Half Ass Kass that I can't stand.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Are you suggesting Booth and Hamhuis show him the way?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Topper wrote:Are you suggesting Booth and Hamhuis show him the way?
That's like Ned Flanders and Reverend Lovejoy showing Homer Simpson the way.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Kassian scored last night.

I think the demotion (and yes, it was a demotion no matter how you spin it) will be good for the kid. I don't know if it was his back, or what, but something was missing from his game the last few weeks and he seemed to be getting worse. He needs to be a physical presence out there, especially when he is not scoring, but he was looking more like a timid old mare than the bull he should be.

I still think AV should have tried him again with the Sedins, because I think it will benefit us more than hurt us to have Kassian with the twins come playoff time, but I also think the reality check of a demotion could help to light a fire under the young guy's ass. Maybe he needs to be reminded that he can't be getting too comfortable at the NHL level.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

How did Jensen look against San Jose? I missed that game.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I didn't watch the game, but i did pvr it. So, i can report more later. I heard he did ok, nothing spectacular. He played with the sedins for alot of the time too.
herb wrote:How did Jensen look against San Jose? I missed that game.