Canucks Call Up Jensen, Kassian demoted

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

paddy
CC Veteran

Re: Canucks Call Up Jensen, Kassian demoted

Post by paddy »

Conditioning Stint? I dunno to me this team is void of anything beyond 4 guys sending him down to gain confidence and get in shape I don't understand that move IMO I want him here around my medical staff trainers etc ... The only thing more perplexing is bringing up Jensen... Here is a guy that if he plays well are you going to send him down??? This team is so void of talent if he produces I don't see how the team sends him back so they burn a yr of his eligiblity... Conversely if he falters then you have just exposed your finest prospect to a fan and media frenzy that there is no need to expose this kid to at this stage...

Desperation at its best...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

He's probably only up for Kassians conditioning stint. No way we burn a year up. If he shines he'll be up for the playoffs and doesn't apply to his games limit
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

paddy wrote:Conditioning Stint? I dunno to me this team is void of anything beyond 4 guys sending him down to gain confidence and get in shape I don't understand that move IMO I want him here around my medical staff trainers etc ... The only thing more perplexing is bringing up Jensen... Here is a guy that if he plays well are you going to send him down??? This team is so void of talent if he produces I don't see how the team sends him back so they burn a yr of his eligiblity... Conversely if he falters then you have just exposed your finest prospect to a fan and media frenzy that there is no need to expose this kid to at this stage...

Desperation at its best...
This^

Desperate times for Mike Gillis right now, it's about time we get to see what he truly is made of, so far it's not looking good, but what did we expect from a player agent turned GM? Not much, makes the hiring all the more perplexing.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Just curious, when was the last time Kassian scored a goal? I can't remember. I seem to recollect that he made like Anson Carter and Jason King and scored all his goals playing with the Sedins way back at the beginning of this season. For Zacks sake, he best hope that ole Jensen don't set the world on fire in his call up.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Royal dude, biker dude, big tuna and now paddy...
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Uncle dans leg wrote:He's probably only up for Kassians conditioning stint. No way we burn a year up. If he shines he'll be up for the playoffs and doesn't apply to his games limit
+1
Gives Jensen a chance to show his stuff and also to get used to playing with the big club before the playoffs.. Bill Sweat is maybe a move to replace Ballard to allow him to be traded ( fat chance - but hey I can hope ) or put back as defensive depth.. Not bad moves .
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Zach may get more minutes, but not more games.

Scheds

April 1 Canucks
April 2 Wolves
April 3
April 4 Canucks
April 5 Wolves
April 6 Canucks Wolves
April 7 Wolves
April 8 Canucks
April 9
April 10 Canucks Wolves
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

(@News1130Sports)
On the same day Kassian sent down - Cody Hodgson was demoted to the 4th line in BUFF. No points in 4 games.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Tiger wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:He's probably only up for Kassians conditioning stint. No way we burn a year up. If he shines he'll be up for the playoffs and doesn't apply to his games limit
+1
Gives Jensen a chance to show his stuff and also to get used to playing with the big club before the playoffs.. Bill Sweat is maybe a move to replace Ballard to allow him to be traded ( fat chance - but hey I can hope ) or put back as defensive depth.. Not bad moves .
Just as long as Gillis isn't showcasing his stuff.

I doubt thats the case as one game is not nearly enough; but he is going to be playing with the Sedins and I've read more than a few posts on other boards that have suggested he will be thrown in a Luongo deal Wednesday.

I sure hope not; he's my only untouchable as far as our prospects go.
2011..... the one that got away.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Jensen is, younger, bigger, faster.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

ukcanuck wrote:Royal dude, biker dude, big tuna and now paddy...
I think given the circumstances these moves smack of desperation... I having a tough time understanding how Jensen is different than any other prospect who has come through here since Gillis/AV have run the show... But somehow this kid will get primetime minutes with primetime players... No other prospect forward or defense has been afforded that opportunity out of the gate NOT ONE they all have had to earn what they eventually got, hell we traded a guy cuz he wanted more ice amongst other things as well...

Thats my issue with this, I just get the sense that people look at this kid as a saviour or a white knight "lets see what the kid can do" There is no need to put your top prospect in that situation especially since under this regime its never been done before...

Kassian is perplexing you say its a conditioning stint fine if thats the case it doesn't bode well for a 22 yr old kid who has missed 8-9 games... I get its a bad back but its not like he has missed 40+ games and had no training camp etc... If its a confidence thing I don't see how sending him down to Chicago as opposed to playing with the twins gets his game back on track confidence wise... Who is down in Chicago that helps him find is game??? That would be my question in a media scrum 2... I would ask it a lil differently I would probably say why fuck with one prospect when you can fuck with two...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

paddy wrote:
I think given the circumstances these moves smack of desperation... I having a tough time understanding how Jensen is different than any other prospect who has come through here since Gillis/AV have run the show... But somehow this kid will get primetime minutes with primetime players... No other prospect forward or defense has been afforded that opportunity out of the gate NOT ONE they all have had to earn what they eventually got, hell we traded a guy cuz he wanted more ice amongst other things as well...

Thats my issue with this, I just get the sense that people look at this kid as a saviour or a white knight "lets see what the kid can do" There is no need to put your top prospect in that situation especially since under this regime its never been done before...

Kassian is perplexing you say its a conditioning stint fine if thats the case it doesn't bode well for a 22 yr old kid who has missed 8-9 games... I get its a bad back but its not like he has missed 40+ games and had no training camp etc... If its a confidence thing I don't see how sending him down to Chicago as opposed to playing with the twins gets his game back on track confidence wise... Who is down in Chicago that helps him find is game??? That would be my question in a media scrum 2... I would ask it a lil differently I would probably say why fuck with one prospect when you can fuck with two...
This^
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

paddy wrote:
Well usually it's our D that are riddled with injuries. Hansen got the call when he was 21. Oberg had a couple games at 21. Tanev had 29 games at 21. Hodgson was 20 (like Jensen) when he got the call. I really fail to see how this is a huge deal. Jensen played in the Elitserien this year, that's a league that featured Kopitar, Landeskog, Bobby Ryan, Alex Steen etc. during the lockout. It's a high-level league.

Obviously, in a perfect world we wouldn't need Jensen this season. That's the luxury of depth. It's also a luxury we don't have anymore. There is a SERIOUS lack of forward skill on this team right now, thanks to injuries. Gillis and AV have tried to bring up more seasoned pro's, and they've done nothing for us. Jensen is an asset, and has skill. He'll be raw, but at this point we need some goals, more than we need tight-checking grinders.

How is it desperate to use the assets you have that give you the best chance to win? I would say a far more desperate move would be pissing Luongo away for a rental 3rd line centre.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:There is a SERIOUS lack of forward skill on this team right now, thanks to injuries. Gillis and AV have tried to bring up more seasoned pro's, and they've done nothing for us. Jensen is an asset, and has skill. He'll be raw, but at this point we need some goals, more than we need tight-checking grinders.
You mean, you don't think we need a shut down centre-man or Ryan Clowe's zero goals in 28 games :)

Anyhow, I agree 100%. When you have your two go-to guys on offense in Hank and Dank sitting 30th and 35th on the scoring leader board when we were spoiled to seeing them regularly in the top 10 for a good number years, you know there is trouble at bay. Combine that with the fact that Kesler lost his scoring touch all of last season and that fact that we simply cannot count on much production from him coming off of IR on the eve of the playoffs. Add in Booth's 1 empty net goal in 11 games and maybe coming off of IR on the eve of the playoffs as well, throw in the possibility of trading one of our best offensive players this season in Raymond. A power play that is the worst in the league, a team that sits 19th in scoring. I would say that it's a safe bet that this team could use some offensive skill on the TOP 2 LINES in the area of GOALS!
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

So Kassian was sent down to get more minutes because in AV's system ZK is nothing more than a 3rd or 4th liner.

Jensen, on the other hand, is a guy who's never played an NHL game in his life, and has played a handful (or 2) games in the North American system is being called up to get 1st line minutes.