GDT Mar 30 - Van @ Edm - 7:00 CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT Mar 30 - Van @ Edm - 7:00 CBC

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya know its not bed wetting to state that you don't think the team is a contender. I just don't think they are a contender. Even if healthy I would be hard pressed to see them going far.

I don't think we need a massive re-build either. I think we need to stabilize the back end, somehow. We have been like this for a few years. We have great games, full team defence and then games where defensively we play like a midget team. We need another centre, duh, ya and we need some scoring. So I don't think we are about to collapse and need to sell off players to rebuild but we need to fix a few things, not just one.

Even with a healthy Kesler I don't see us going very far in the playoffs. If we take the Division maybe we get out of the first round but if we fall to 5-8 place I think we are gone in round one.

I'm not wetting the bed, jumping off the band wagon or any such nonsense. I just don't think we are a contender and, while hopeful, I am doubtful that it will get fixed this season. This is not a George Bush league where you say you are either with me or against me. My glasses are transitionals but not rose coloured, sorta a shitty brown colour actually.

I will be thrilled if this team makes a deep run. I will be shocked beyond belief if THIS team wins a cup. But I will still be thrilled and celebrating with every other Canucks fan. One does not forfeit their right to cheer for the team or celebrate their victories simply because they are critical of that team. There is a difference between trolling and going on ad nauseam just to do so and in being realistically critical. So enough of the bed wetting and band wagon crap.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Agree HW - this team needs a couple pieces and MG needs to get them. He wont and this team will be like the past teams, close but never wins it.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Chef Boi RD is gettin' near done with the Sedin era of hockey here. I like the Sedins, but it's clear that they have lost a step this season, but this team is so fucking stale and old and predictable that it's time for Gillis to bring in some new faces at the top end of the line-up instead of constantly tinkering with the useless bottom 6 crowd and 5th, 6th, 7th D-men. It's tired, that shit don't jive no more. We need new blood, new faces, new mojo, we need a pulse on this team. There are some big problems with this organization and a coaching change will do fuck all to fixing it.
Ok, so first the team plays hard, and wins with a ramshackle group of players by sticking to the coach's gameplan. Praise the coach. Yay, good job AV.....

But now the team is stale and predictable for attempting to execute the gameplan. This is on the players?

I have NEVER read posts from anyone on any hockey message board who contradicts himself as much as you do RD. If you weren't trying so hard to be the ultimate troll I would actually get a good laugh out of it.

I also love how you ASSume that it is so easy to make changes in the top 6 up front and top 4 on the blueline. Hilarious really.

A pulse? Mojo? You're just knocking them out of the park tonight! Every player who has had a pulse or some swagger in them has showed up in Vancouver and been castrated by Vigneault. Everyone either marches to Vigneault's drum or does time with Ballard.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Chef Boi RD is gettin' near done with the Sedin era of hockey here. I like the Sedins, but it's clear that they have lost a step this season, but this team is so fucking stale and old and predictable that it's time for Gillis to bring in some new faces at the top end of the line-up instead of constantly tinkering with the useless bottom 6 crowd and 5th, 6th, 7th D-men. It's tired, that shit don't jive no more. We need new blood, new faces, new mojo, we need a pulse on this team. There are some big problems with this organization and a coaching change will do fuck all to fixing it.
Ok, so first the team plays hard, and wins with a ramshackle group of players by sticking to the coach's gameplan. Praise the coach. Yay, good job AV.....

But now the team is stale and predictable for attempting to execute the gameplan. This is on the players?

I have NEVER read posts from anyone on any hockey message board who contradicts himself as much as you do RD. If you weren't trying so hard to be the ultimate troll I would actually get a good laugh out of it.

I also love how you ASSume that it is so easy to make changes in the top 6 up front and top 4 on the blueline. Hilarious really.

A pulse? Mojo? You're just knocking them out of the park tonight! Every player who has had a pulse or some swagger in them has showed up in Vancouver and been castrated by Vigneault. Everyone either marches to Vigneault's drum or does time with Ballard.
Here's the difference Mëds, you look for a scapegoat and so you blame AV?. Me? I blame the architect, the builder, where the buck stops, the puppet master - Gillis. You yourself cannot blame Gillis cause Gillis is management and according to some, blaming management makes you an NDP'er. Or so I've been told. Cutting out the little guy is Liberal Party. And so for you, it brings you great comfort from an ideological standpoint to cut jobs, middle management per sey instead of going to the source of all of these shenanigans - Gillis
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya know its not bed wetting to state that you don't think the team is a contender. I just don't think they are a contender. Even if healthy I would be hard pressed to see them going far.

I don't think we need a massive re-build either. I think we need to stabilize the back end, somehow. We have been like this for a few years. We have great games, full team defence and then games where defensively we play like a midget team. We need another centre, duh, ya and we need some scoring. So I don't think we are about to collapse and need to sell off players to rebuild but we need to fix a few things, not just one.

Even with a healthy Kesler I don't see us going very far in the playoffs. If we take the Division maybe we get out of the first round but if we fall to 5-8 place I think we are gone in round one.

I'm not wetting the bed, jumping off the band wagon or any such nonsense. I just don't think we are a contender and, while hopeful, I am doubtful that it will get fixed this season. This is not a George Bush league where you say you are either with me or against me. My glasses are transitionals but not rose coloured, sorta a shitty brown colour actually.

I will be thrilled if this team makes a deep run. I will be shocked beyond belief if THIS team wins a cup. But I will still be thrilled and celebrating with every other Canucks fan. One does not forfeit their right to cheer for the team or celebrate their victories simply because they are critical of that team. There is a difference between trolling and going on ad nauseam just to do so and in being realistically critical. So enough of the bed wetting and band wagon crap.
Hey HW, I have my doubts too, but think this team is a contender for a few reasons. Yes they need some help - health first and foremost - but they also need a couple of players. Kesler, Booth and Kassian healthy will make a massive difference, as will Weise on the 4th line over Sestito and Pinizzoto.

The team is a veteran one, they've been through all of this before and I believe they are pacing themselves. I also believe they are being extra careful with injuries as they are well aware that the playoffs are what matter. They are also showing they can win a game with smothering defence, which was their Achilles heel in the last few seasons - they had a hard time with trapping teams and I believe they have figured out that the best way to play them is to do the same thing. It makes for awful hockey to watch but is effective.

Lastly, I truly believe Gillis is going to add a couple of solid pieces at the deadline - not top 6 guys but a top 9 guy and another piece. I think they'll surprise this year in the playoffs and be much more ready than they look. All of this hinges on health, of course, so if Gillis knows something that I don't about his players then he may do something else.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ya know its not bed wetting to state that you don't think the team is a contender. I just don't think they are a contender. Even if healthy I would be hard pressed to see them going far.

Hey HW, I have my doubts too, but think this team is a contender for a few reasons. Yes they need some help - health first and foremost - but they also need a couple of players. Kesler, Booth and Kassian healthy will make a massive difference, as will Weise on the 4th line over Sestito and Pinizzoto.

The team is a veteran one, they've been through all of this before and I believe they are pacing themselves. I also believe they are being extra careful with injuries as they are well aware that the playoffs are what matter. They are also showing they can win a game with smothering defence, which was their Achilles heel in the last few seasons - they had a hard time with trapping teams and I believe they have figured out that the best way to play them is to do the same thing. It makes for awful hockey to watch but is effective.

Lastly, I truly believe Gillis is going to add a couple of solid pieces at the deadline - not top 6 guys but a top 9 guy and another piece. I think they'll surprise this year in the playoffs and be much more ready than they look. All of this hinges on health, of course, so if Gillis knows something that I don't about his players then he may do something else.
It's been proven since the halfway mark of last season, all the low scoring tight games, good team D and solid goaltending ain't gonna amount to a hill o beans if you CANNOT SCORE 5 on 5 or on the PP! Nothing has changed! But yet, we still go on about tinkering with the bottom 6 forward group like we don't have enough of that already.

Also, when the passion level rises a few more notches in the playoffs like it always does as soon as the Canucks encounter PUSH BACK we fold like a cheap tent. We are still that same group of players that keeps cowering to hungry hockey teams in games that matter. But all hail the Presidents Trophy in the mean nothing regular season.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Diehard1 wrote:

I think HW has been smoke'n some of BD's crack and is being a bit pessimistic.

Just look at Ottawa (I did an amazing comparison earlier in this thread to Our Vancouver Canucks :) ). They have the same number of points and are heading for the playoffs and like us have key injuries to their line-up but keep on winning.
Eerily they lost 4-0 to a shit division rival with a young gun getting a hat-trick too but that's not the point.
Both the Sens and 'Nucks have, as you say, veteran experience. I was truly amazed that they went on a 6 game winning streak.
Are they a contender? Are they still an Elite™ team? I think people write them off (fans, g'ass media) but if you ask any GM or coach in this league then I think it would be unanimous that to underestimate this team now in the regular season and in the post-season would be the wrong thing to do.

Are we disappointed that we don't have an Art Ross or a Calder candidate, a Selke winner or a Veizna leader in the line-up?

Fuck it, I never wanted a Presidents trophy. I always wanted us to finish the hottest team and in 8th so there are no expectations in the playoffs (like the Kings did).

Never felt comfortable on top (doesn't feel right with this team if you have been a fan since the beginning).
Everyone loves an underdog or one resurrected through adversity.....

.....Oh yeah, Happy Bunny Day Everyone!

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

She could play on my...........................first line anytime.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I think the nucks played better with a depleted lineup with barker, gordon, and ballard playing up front. :lol:
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
Considering that we are missing our 2nd line center, and we really need a bona fide 3rd line center sure doesnt help.
None of this was the fault of a missing center.

I can't believe how people are just leaning on this crutch. The teams' problems are far deeper than just Kesler being hurt and a couple of other injuries to the lineup. Look at this, we are getting shutout by Devin Dubnyk for fuck sakes. When we can't score a single goal on the Oilers, back-stopped by Devin Fucking Dubnyk.......there is something really wrong with the team. Yes it needs more offensive punch and is missing a center. But Kesler being in the lineup didn't help us for 7 games, and he wouldn't be the tide turning component in this one.
Maybe, maybe not.
Any goalie, even an elite one will let in a bad goal occasionally.
An experienced team can stop the bleeding and tighten up the defence when the goalie has a bad start, and then start to battle back.
An inexperienced team can start to fall apart after a bad goal or two, that's what it looked like last night.
Having Kesler out deprives the team of more than just a goal scorer, but of a defensive line to shut down the opposition's scorers, hopefully while the top line works on getting goal(s) back.
Schroeder has shown some offensive ability, but he certainly doesn't have Kesler's experience.

Heck, we might still have gotten shut out, but it would have given us a better chance.
Mëds wrote: Don't fool yourself. The team needs a new look behind the bench. That should be Gillis' first concern because it is the easiest to deal with. Players are tough to acquire.....and badly over-priced right now.
I don't disagree with that at all, AV is getting stale here.
We have the parts to make the PP work, so why can't the coaching staff seem to figure it out?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Zamboni Driver wrote: I don't disagree with that at all, AV is getting stale here.
We have the parts to make the PP work, so why can't the coaching staff seem to figure it out?
Well, how about sending AV and the coaching staff out on the PP themselves. Why not? According to some here, the Sedins of the world can't think for themselves out there on the PP.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: I don't disagree with that at all, AV is getting stale here.
Well, how about sending AV and the coaching staff out on the PP themselves. Why not? According to some here, the Sedins of the world can't think for themselves out there on the PP.
The Canucks finished with the 4th best PP last year. The only significant PP performer to leave is Salo, so with the same player mix all of a sudden we are 30th?

For whatever reason the coaching staff can't get the PP working with mostly the same players, it's time to figure out why
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
The Canucks finished with the 4th best PP last year. The only significant PP performer to leave is Salo, so with the same player mix all of a sudden we are 30th?

For whatever reason the coaching staff can't get the PP working with mostly the same players, it's time to figure out why
KESLER :).. we were #1 PP at the All Star break.. Kesler injured in March.. PP goals dwindled.. Bieksa also injured .. by the time Playoffs came... the PP stunk up the ice ( as it continues to do ) .. Sedin's cant do it .. slowing down and most teams now know how to beat their cycle game.. Gillis has known this for a year and done SFA..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow said:
Ya know its not bed wetting to state that you don't think the team is a contender. I just don't think they are a contender. Even if healthy I would be hard pressed to see them going far.

Agree, and add that this team has declined since the All Star break last year.. Injuries partly to blame..But a lot might be explained by Gillis's poor team management..We now have 1/3 of the team payroll tied up in untradeable assets.. Kesler, Booth and Maholtra injured .. Plus Ballard and Luongo sitting waiting for a trade.. Bad for team morale and "esprit de corpe " to let Sami walk .. No wonder the team is a bit depressed.. MG keeps a half blind Maholtra ( suggesting that its a "loyalty" thing )but let Mitchell walk when he was injured.. Leaves Ballard riding the pine instead of admitting his signing error.. AV has very little to work with.. Unless a miracle happens ( like Gillis making a Bold Move ), this years Canucks aren't a contender and wont be in the foreseeable future..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

the sky is falling, the sky is falling
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”