What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Post by okcanuck »

If Gillis cant get anything decent for Luongo, keep him till the off-season. Shneider is still capable of shitting the bed as we all saw early in the season. I've got no problem with Lou on the bench as insurance.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: Don't be so negative nancy boy, who knows what Tallon will do. He might decide that the Edmonton model of not trading draft picks and keeping a stable full of youngsters with no veteran presence is not the best way to go...

You totally underestimate luongo's worth and you buy into Burkes kool aid over Luongo's contract way too easily... Either that or you want to be right so bad you are willing to throw away the truth like a used Big Mac box
At least you got one thing going for you Ass Bandit, You are fantastic Comedy. Take a look around outside of your soap box here at the CC, it's common knowledge (it ain't just me) that Gillis will not get what he wants for Lou, and if you think he can land Tallon's first round pick you are as delusional as Gillis is. But hey, whatever blows your hair back.

I like Florida's future much more than the Oilers if they can add one of Jones, Drouin, McKinnon, Nichuskin, Nurse, Barkov, Monohan, Lindholm to Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Shore, Howden, Gudbranson, Kulikov, Petrovic and Markstrom. That is a nice looking future and Tallon, I am quite sure, knows this and most likely, if you are a betting man, will not want to fuck with it, just add to it. Capiche?

I admit, I'm surprised by the Oilers suckness. I know it's early but not so sure about the mix there. Apparently Yak isn't meshing to well with the group in the dressing room and RNH is looking rough, I bet they now wish they drafted Galchenyuk and Landeskog instead. The Russkies are gambles to draft, sometimes you win, ie Galchenyuk or Tarasenko, sometimes you lose - Yak.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

If I was Gillis my first attempt would be to trade;

To Washington
Luongo
Ballard
Vancouver's 1st

To Vancouver
Ribiero
Carlson
Washington's 1st

If that didn't fly then
To Florida

Luongo

To Vancouver

Mattias
Rights to Weiss
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Don't be so negative nancy boy, who knows what Tallon will do. He might decide that the Edmonton model of not trading draft picks and keeping a stable full of youngsters with no veteran presence is not the best way to go...

You totally underestimate luongo's worth and you buy into Burkes kool aid over Luongo's contract way too easily... Either that or you want to be right so bad you are willing to throw away the truth like a used Big Mac box
At least you got one thing going for you Ass Bandit, You are fantastic Comedy. Take a look around outside of your soap box here at the CC, it's common knowledge (it ain't just me) that Gillis will not get what he wants for Lou, and if you think he can land Tallon's first round pick you are as delusional as Gillis is. But hey, whatever blows your hair back.

I like Florida's future much more than the Oilers if they can add one of Jones, Drouin, McKinnon, Nichuskin, Nurse, Barkov, Monohan, Lindholm to Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Shore, Howden, Gudbranson, Kulikov, Petrovic and Markstrom. That is a nice looking future and Tallon, I am quite sure, knows this and most likely, if you are a betting man, will not want to fuck with it, just add to it. Capiche?

I admit, I'm surprised by the Oilers suckness. I know it's early but not so sure about the mix there. Apparently Yak isn't meshing to well with the group in the dressing room and RNH is looking rough, I bet they now wish they drafted Galchenyuk and Landeskog instead. The Russkies are gambles to draft, sometimes you win, ie Galchenyuk or Tarasenko, sometimes you lose - Yak.
First
Off
Just to review, I said "maybe" Florida could be convinced to trade a draft position with the Canucks to include Luongo...
That's quite a bit different than what you think I said....

Also
I agree that the inactivity right now makes it look like the return for Luongo isn't going to be a home run.

However,
I am not sure its wise to trade Luongo by the deadline anyway. U think we could use him in the playoffs for when Cory gets shelled or hurt...

Plus and more to the point I think that if (when :( ) we don't win the cup this year its time to reload anyway. If the Sedins got 5 years left as front line players, now is the time to draft their replacements in order to develop them.

I think Luongo and Raymond are good staring points to get those picks...

As for why Florida would do something like that, why not?
As you say they got a bunch if young players like Edmonton and they probably need exactly the same thing as the coilers...
Goaltending, and some guys who can shave...

Edit: my plan would work best if the panthers ended up with like the third pick as only a fool would pass up on basketball jones in a Miami....
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

When you look at the top 5 in this upcoming draft, I don't see why Gillis doesn't just see if Florida will take Luongo in exchange for their 1st and a middle of the road prospect. Or even if there is some term coming back, do it. The chance to potentially get on of the top 5, and with Florida this year it could be top 2 or 3, if not the 1st overall. That is a helluva return for Louie.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

1/3 of the player payroll not playing .. Kesler n Booth injured.. Maholtra benched..Ballard n Lou waiting .. FFS do something Gillis..
or maybe don't? just read the "Help Wanted".. Aquaman is watching you !!
is he calling Iron Mike?
Damm this soap opera has gone on way to long.. Luongo's value decreases the longer Gillis waits. Ballard should be traded instead of bought out.. Get what you can NOW..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Tiger wrote:1/3 of the player payroll not playing .. Kesler n Booth injured.. Maholtra benched..Ballard n Lou waiting .. FFS do something Gillis..
or maybe don't? just read the "Help Wanted".. Aquaman is watching you !!
is he calling Iron Mike?
Damm this soap opera has gone on way to long.. Luongo's value decreases the longer Gillis waits. Ballard should be traded instead of bought out.. Get what you can NOW..
I dont get it. I like the idea of going into the playoffs with Lou as a back-up and Ballard as a winger. You wont get anything for Ballard.What do you care if Ballard is bought out or not? Its not your money its Aquamans.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Florida is not going to trade for Luongo. They have Markstrom.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Mëds"]When you look at the top 5 in this upcoming draft, I don't see why Gillis doesn't just see if Florida will take Luongo in exchange for their 1st and a middle of the road prospect. Or even if there is some term coming back, do it. The chance to potentially get on of the top 5, and with Florida this year it could be top 2 or 3, if not the 1st overall. That is a helluva return for Louie.[/quote]
He has. Florida isn't going to do that.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:When you look at the top 5 in this upcoming draft, I don't see why Gillis doesn't just see if Florida will take Luongo in exchange for their 1st and a middle of the road prospect. Or even if there is some term coming back, do it. The chance to potentially get on of the top 5, and with Florida this year it could be top 2 or 3, if not the 1st overall. That is a helluva return for Louie.
Mëds, are you sure you are not ukcanuck? Anyhow, this is the kind of posting a glue sniffer would post.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote:
Mëds wrote:When you look at the top 5 in this upcoming draft, I don't see why Gillis doesn't just see if Florida will take Luongo in exchange for their 1st and a middle of the road prospect. Or even if there is some term coming back, do it. The chance to potentially get on of the top 5, and with Florida this year it could be top 2 or 3, if not the 1st overall. That is a helluva return for Louie.
I don't think he has. I think he's asked for one of their top prospects, a serviceable center, and a pick.

Right now I think Gillis is sitting on Luongo still because he has been asking for the moon.

If Douglas Murray gets a pair of 2nd round picks, Brendan Morrow gets the best prospect in Pittsburgh's system and a draft pick, and Jarome Iginla gets a 1st and 2 "B" prospects.....I think that Lou is worth more than them to a team that needs goaltending.

But Gillis probably think he's worth more than he is. Lou should return a 1st and a playable forward. Gillis wants more than that.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
I don't think he has. I think he's asked for one of their top prospects, a serviceable center, and a pick.

Right now I think Gillis is sitting on Luongo still because he has been asking for the moon.

If Douglas Murray gets a pair of 2nd round picks, Brendan Morrow gets the best prospect in Pittsburgh's system and a draft pick, and Jarome Iginla gets a 1st and 2 "B" prospects.....I think that Lou is worth more than them to a team that needs goaltending.

But Gillis probably think he's worth more than he is. Lou should return a 1st and a playable forward. Gillis wants more than that.
The shitty thing is Luo likely wont fetch a 1st, let alone another prospect.
If you need air...call it in
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Dave Pratt is certain that Lu will be moved by the deadline- to TO for Lupul
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

This year is supposed to be a deep draft. No one wants to risk giving up their first, in the top 10 anyway, just in case. I would be fine with a first in 2014. A first, unless it is a Crosby type player, won't play for us for a few years anyway.

And I don't think he has been shooting for the moon. I think he has been clear about hat he wants and doesn't want. There have been deals he could live with but they all come with him taking term back. He can't do that. Burke shot his mouth off about MG wanting 15 first rounders and the media has been only too willing to go with that theory that MG is asking too much.

But I am like everyone else. I have no idea as to what he has been offered or what he has asked for in return. A deal will get done one way or the other and we will never know what could have been.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Zamboni Driver wrote:Dave Pratt is certain that Lu will be moved by the deadline- to TO for Lupul
:bounce: :bounce: :rofl: :rofl: