Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:02 am

Potatoe1 wrote:
BigTuna wrote:You don't even hear rumours about Luongo anymore. There's just nowhere for him to be traded too. He's under contract until he's 43. Ridiculous.


Lots of rumors he is going to the Leafs.

Makes sense given the they are likely going to the playoffs and the Canucks are even more desperate for a center.

If that happens it's probably a crap deal for the Canucks though.


Well, it's Damage Control time for Gillis, he screwed this one up big time. Just take what he can. However, I sure hope it ain't shite contracts coming back this way. I know Gillis has a history of doing that.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4606
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Potatoe1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:21 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
BigTuna wrote:You don't even hear rumours about Luongo anymore. There's just nowhere for him to be traded too. He's under contract until he's 43. Ridiculous.


Lots of rumors he is going to the Leafs.

Makes sense given the they are likely going to the playoffs and the Canucks are even more desperate for a center.

If that happens it's probably a crap deal for the Canucks though.


Well, it's Damage Control time for Gillis, he screwed this one up big time. Just take what he can. However, I sure hope it ain't shite contracts coming back this way. I know Gillis has a history of doing that.


What did he screw up?

He got crap offers in the summer, and it hasn't gotten better.

Lu flat out won us games in the early going of this season so he's been an asset. Now with Schneider just killing it in goal it's time to make the move and get a player that can help.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:38 am

Potatoe1 wrote:
What did he screw up?

He got crap offers in the summer, and it hasn't gotten better.

Lu flat out won us games in the early going of this season so he's been an asset. Now with Schneider just killing it in goal it's time to make the move and get a player that can help.


Potatoe, Gillis didn't keep Luongo so he could win us games this year, he kept him cause of his massive ego battle with other GM's and now that is coming back and biting him in his fat ass, but hey that is just pure ignorance combined with arrogance, and this team is the loser for it, just like the Ballard trade. Anyhow,the crap offers will only get crappier the longer this goes on especially with as quality goalies as Lou on short term contracts in Kipper and Miller on the market and not to mention Bishop and Bernier being bantied about. Gillis should have foreshadowed this, this is what separates the good GM's from the bad ones. Oh btw, Lou turns 34 years old next Thursday.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4606
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:55 am

What exactly was he offered for Luongo in the summer ?

I have to ask because all of these bed ridden GM's in their unrine saturated sheets keep saying he should have been dealt in the summer . Is there a deal that would have made sense ? If he goes now or he goes at the draft it won't much matter as the return will not be signifigant. Oh well... he gave us 7 great years and he was a consummate pro. If it's a 2nd rounder and a warm body I'm okay with that. People need to realize that players on long term deals regardless of their pedigree will be harder to move and obtain fair value for. Or I guess they can throw a tantrum and act like a 3 year old.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3146
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 am

RoyalDude wrote: Oh btw, Lou turns 34 years old next Thursday.



Marian Hossa is already 34. He is in year 4 of a 12 year deal. Is he garbage too ?
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3146
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Potatoe1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 am

RoyalDude wrote:Potatoe, Gillis didn't keep Luongo so he could win us games this year, he kept him cause of his massive ego battle with other GM's and now that is coming back and biting him in his fat ass, but hey that is just pure ignorance combined with arrogance, and this team is the loser for it,


This is nonsense.

Gillis kept Lu because the offers were crap.

Keeping him was the right call as he's a valuable member of the team and there is no downside to having him here.

Now, should GMMG fail to move him before the start of next season, and we are left holding the bag on that contract, then your point will have merit, but until that happens you are just talking out your ass.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 am

+1
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Reefer2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Potatoe, Gillis didn't keep Luongo so he could win us games this year, he kept him cause of his massive ego battle with other GM's and now that is coming back and biting him in his fat ass, but hey that is just pure ignorance combined with arrogance, and this team is the loser for it,


This is nonsense.

Gillis kept Lu because the offers were crap.

Keeping him was the right call as he's a valuable member of the team and there is no downside to having him here.

Now, should GMMG fail to move him before the start of next season, and we are left holding the bag on that contract, then your point will have merit, but until that happens you are just talking out your ass.


+2

I hate agreeing with Pot but he is correct here
User avatar
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Arachnid » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Potatoe, Gillis didn't keep Luongo so he could win us games this year, he kept him cause of his massive ego battle with other GM's and now that is coming back and biting him in his fat ass, but hey that is just pure ignorance combined with arrogance, and this team is the loser for it,


This is nonsense.

Gillis kept Lu because the offers were crap.

Keeping him was the right call as he's a valuable member of the team and there is no downside to having him here.

Now, should GMMG fail to move him before the start of next season, and we are left holding the bag on that contract, then your point will have merit, but until that happens you are just talking out your ass.


+2

I hate agreeing with Pot but he is correct here


Have you been smoking Pot? :eh:

Luo will not be here next year, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Anything else is civilized.
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Reefer2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Arachnid wrote:

Have you been smoking Pot? :eh:

Luo will not be here next year, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Anything else is civilized.


I have no idea what you are saying???
User avatar
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Arachnid » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Have you been smoking Pot? :eh:

Luo will not be here next year, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Anything else is civilized.


I have no idea what you are saying???


It's OK, I have no idea what you're reading
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby BigTuna » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:56 pm

It's pretty clear Luongo has no value. In fact, you don't even hear rumours about him anymore because nothing is happening. There is no chance he gets traded at the deadline.

Canuck fans/media were so confidant Florida wanted Luongo. Do you think they want him now? I said from the beginning Florida made zero sense.

I actually am a big Luongo fan, I think he's underrated. But that contract kills his value. It has nothing to do with his ability. Gillis should have never given anyone a contraxt until they're 43 years-old. It was cap circumvention, but he's paying the price big-time now.

Now there's talk it's gotten to the point Gillis is the one calling teams he previously talked to to try to trade Luongo and now asking for less from those teams. That is not good news at all.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby okcanuck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:30 pm

BigTuna wrote:It's pretty clear Luongo has no value. In fact, you don't even hear rumours about him anymore because nothing is happening. There is no chance he gets traded at the deadline.

Canuck fans/media were so confidant Florida wanted Luongo. Do you think they want him now? I said from the beginning Florida made zero sense.

I actually am a big Luongo fan, I think he's underrated. But that contract kills his value. It has nothing to do with his ability. Gillis should have never given anyone a contraxt until they're 43 years-old. It was cap circumvention, but he's paying the price big-time now.

Now there's talk it's gotten to the point Gillis is the one calling teams he previously talked to to try to trade Luongo and now asking for less from those teams. That is not good news at all.


Do you know for a fact that Gillis is calling these teams or are you just speculating like the talking heads on TSN or Sportsnet. I say we keep Luongo for the year and worry about it next year.
User avatar
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Bestwank,BC

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby BigTuna » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 pm

okcanuck wrote:
BigTuna wrote:It's pretty clear Luongo has no value. In fact, you don't even hear rumours about him anymore because nothing is happening. There is no chance he gets traded at the deadline.

Canuck fans/media were so confidant Florida wanted Luongo. Do you think they want him now? I said from the beginning Florida made zero sense.

I actually am a big Luongo fan, I think he's underrated. But that contract kills his value. It has nothing to do with his ability. Gillis should have never given anyone a contraxt until they're 43 years-old. It was cap circumvention, but he's paying the price big-time now.

Now there's talk it's gotten to the point Gillis is the one calling teams he previously talked to to try to trade Luongo and now asking for less from those teams. That is not good news at all.


Do you know for a fact that Gillis is calling these teams or are you just speculating like the talking heads on TSN or Sportsnet. I say we keep Luongo for the year and worry about it next year.


I do believe what people on TSn and Sportsnet are saying. Or do you just believe they're saying that for the sake of the Leafs, when it's clear the Luongo to Toronto possibility is over.

I agree he isn't being moved, but that is indeed a sign the possibilities aren't there.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:Gillis kept Lu because the offers were crap.



And as time wears on, the crappier the offers are getting...that trajectory will continue, not in Gillis favor or should I say not in favor of this club. I guess the long and short of it is, for you at least, is that you prefer keeping Lou and bagging a few more wins out of him even though the indicators are revealing that the offers for Luo are getting grimmer by the day, and that sits OK with you? You don't mind tying up that kind of huge money on a back up goalie sitting on the bench watching Schneider play when that asset could have been moved for a center named Bozak prior to the season? Do we not centers?

Anyhow, I got 3 words for the Luongo situation - GILLIS IS FUCKED

But I got a fantastic solution for Gillis' current conundrum - trade Schneider
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4606
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], NzVanFan and 7 guests