GDT - Mar 28 - Avs @ Canucks - 7:00 SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT - Mar 28 - Avs @ Canucks - 7:00 SNET

Post by Zamboni Driver »

4-1 score looks good in the papers the game was a lot closer than that ;)

Canucks win 10 straight vs Avs, they are 18 - 0 - 2 in the last 20 games vs Avs
Nice quote from Dan Russell, Colorado is like the Canuck's Pez dispenser, press the button and take 2 points... :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Two points is two points. 6 in a row is 6 in a row.

Seems like JS pissed AV off as he got shifted to the 4th line again. Wonder what he did? Pinhead couldn't get the puck out all night along the boards and I was not impressed with his game. We lost Volpatti for him? Well, not that we lost a lot.

Edmonton, SJ, trade deadline. Both on the road. Was the the last we will see Luongo in a Canuck uniform? Sort of anti climatic if it is. Almost like the Iginla trade :mrgreen: Hey a 1st and two prospects for Luongo wouldn't be too bad.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hey a 1st and two prospects for Luongo wouldn't be too bad.
I'd take that.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Hey a 1st and two prospects for Luongo wouldn't be too bad.
I'd take that.
Let's hope that MG would too
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Reefer2 wrote:
Thanks to my lucky couch is why the Nucks keep winning., sit in the same place everygame.
Sheldon? Is that you? :shock:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Reefer2 wrote:Anyhow - what is up with all the facial hair?

Has beards come back in style? Not just on the Canucks but damn there is seems to be a lot of hair on those boys. Of course Raymond probably been trying since puberty and still can't grow anything.
Now THIS is a playoff beard:

Emil Kåberg, Celebrating that Örebro is now promoted to play in the SEL next season.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Need bail from Potatoe and his illegit wetbacks 2.0.

Seriously. PM me Spud, this is my legit cyber phone call. :-(

2.0?
OD & SL 2.0?! :crazy:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Zamboni Driver wrote:The GDT are getting shorter - where have all the bedwetters gone? :D
Where's the 'like' button?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Seems like JS pissed AV off as he got shifted to the 4th line again. Wonder what he did? Pinhead couldn't get the puck out all night along the boards and I was not impressed with his game. We lost Volpatti for him? Well, not that we lost a lot.
Agreed Pinner was terrible.

There was even a point where he had time for a clear up the boards but braced early for a hit and turned it over. Not taking a hit to make the play is basically death nail for a guy with such a fringe career.

He wasn't alone in his suckage though. Bieksa and Edler looked like they had the Roxy flue and Alberts was his normal sucky self.

Lucky for that trio Jason Garrison is playing like a norris trophy contender right now and somehow manages to counterbalance the aforementioned.

The guy wins every puck battle, he's always in position, his puck movement is fantastic, he's ripping pucks on net. If this is what we are getting for the next several years,, wow.

The other positive was obviously the first line, who haven't played a game like that in a while. The scary part was that AV was forced to use that line in a defensive role as they were the only group that wasn't getting eaten alive by the Av's top 2 lines.

As for Schroeder, his line couldn't match up defensively with the Landeskog / Oriely line which is why Lappy was moved up when the Canucks had the lead.

Was more or less a 1 line effort last night and when you look at the current group of forwards it's obvious why. We have 4 or 5 guys in the bottom 9 who are either fringe NHL'ers or clear AHL'ers and it shows.

Gillis seems to think he only needs a center, but it's pretty clear he needs more. Unless we are 100% healthy we will have guys in the line up who shouldn't be.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Arachnid wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Need bail from Potatoe and his illegit wetbacks 2.0.

Seriously. PM me Spud, this is my legit cyber phone call. :-(

2.0?
OD & SL 2.0?! :crazy:
If they adopt an African infant it's 2.1?
If you need air...call it in
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Agreed Pinner was terrible.

There was even a point where he had time for a clear up the boards but braced early for a hit and turned it over. Not taking a hit to make the play is basically death nail for a guy with such a fringe career.

He wasn't alone in his suckage though. Bieksa and Edler looked like they had the Roxy flue and Alberts was his normal sucky self.

Lucky for that trio Jason Garrison is playing like a norris trophy contender right now and somehow manages to counterbalance the aforementioned.

The guy wins every puck battle, he's always in position, his puck movement is fantastic, he's ripping pucks on net. If this is what we are getting for the next several years,, wow.

The other positive was obviously the first line, who haven't played a game like that in a while. The scary part was that AV was forced to use that line in a defensive role as they were the only group that wasn't getting eaten alive by the Av's top 2 lines.

As for Schroeder, his line couldn't match up defensively with the Landeskog / Oriely line which is why Lappy was moved up when the Canucks had the lead.

Was more or less a 1 line effort last night and when you look at the current group of forwards it's obvious why. We have 4 or 5 guys in the bottom 9 who are either fringe NHL'ers or clear AHL'ers and it shows.

Gillis seems to think he only needs a center, but it's pretty clear he needs more. Unless we are 100% healthy we will have guys in the line up who shouldn't be.
Pinner was horrible - agree. Giving up Volpatti for him isn't the worst thing in the world. But from what I've seen this year, Volpatti > Pinner. Sestito is just a big body and obviously doesn't have the foot speed to do any sort of damage in this league.

Edler is more of a concern for me. Last year I had my reservations about him, and coming off the lockout he had a bevvy of decent games, but seems to have regressed back to the Special Ed(ler) of last year. I think he's still widely regarded around the league and if Bag Eyes wanted to get "proactive" this trade deadline, he should look at trading him for a similarly regarding top young player. My pipe dream would be a Matt Duchene, but I'm not sure how the Avalanche regard him (untouchable?). I think Sean Couturier has dropped a bit on the Philly radar. But is he the Manny Malhotra of the 1999 Rangers (where Malhotra was so highly regarded by the NYR brass that they refused to include him in the Bure trade)? Maybe Couturier is too highly regarded? In any event, would love to see Duchene on this team. Not sure if he's untouchable or if Edler could be swapped for him.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote: Lucky for that trio Jason Garrison is playing like a norris trophy contender right now and somehow manages to counterbalance the aforementioned.

A few of us said at the beginning that he looked good and just needed time to find his place on the team, and also that AV needed to get him in the right spot. Edler getting suspended might have been exactly what both AV and Garrison needed for him to finally start to gel with everyone. He's been playing good hockey since the beginning of the season, but just a bit out of synch with the team and under-utilized.
Potatoe1 wrote: Gillis seems to think he only needs a center, but it's pretty clear he needs more. Unless we are 100% healthy we will have guys in the line up who shouldn't be.
True, but this is probably going to be the case for a lot of teams. Especially next year and the year after until the cap goes up again and current contracts expire.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think next year is the year we need a few players on entry level deals make the line up.

Of course it is expected that a number of good players, but over paid players, will be bought out. In that case there may be a couple of decent players willing to play on one year deals to re-establish themselves. But we first must clear a chuck of change. I think Redden is looking good now for what he is getting paid.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:I think next year is the year we need a few players on entry level deals make the line up.

Of course it is expected that a number of good players, but over paid players, will be bought out. In that case there may be a couple of decent players willing to play on one year deals to re-establish themselves. But we first must clear a chuck of change. I think Redden is looking good now for what he is getting paid.
Sounds like you are talking about Booth and Ballard. But that is just a guesstimate. If I am correct, Mëds might feel differently, he'd rather sign and trade one of our best forwards this year in Raymond and somehow miraculously keep Useless Booth and his rip-off contract just so his good bud Gillis doesn't look like an ignoramus for the trade, in which he is.

However I agree about entry level contracts, which is why I slam Gillis and his empty cupboards that are far worse than the empty cupboards he claimed that Nonis left him with (Sitting 29th on the Hockeysfuture Team Prospect list). I do hope to see, for Gillis sake, Jensen in the line-up next year, hoping he will be a cheaper and eventual better replacement for Booth. Gillis job depends on it. It's classic Moneyball and that is what Gillis claims to be.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau