What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Post by herb »

The_Pauser wrote:That's just garbage. A complete fabrication of our stupid media that some "fans" have latched on to due to a lack of knowledge about other goalies around the league.

Schneider is not a better goalie than Luongo.
A fabrication? You think I pay any attention to what the media says on the matter? I make my own conclusions based upon what I see. Schneider has proven to be at least Luongo's equal in the here and now, and as Luongo regresses due to age and Schneider gets better as he plays more and reaches his prime, there's no question who the better long-term asset is to have.

I'll take the six extra years of elite level goaltending Schneider will provide over Luongo any day.

^ Jovocop, because we have nothing better to talk about! If Luongo has asked to be traded as alleged, the yes, this whole conversation is moot.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Why are we still wringing our hands about whether Luongo wants to stay or go? He is under contract and a professional its not a huge concern unless and until he demands a trade. Which he has not done at all. So far he has agreed to do what's best for the team. A very commendable position. If a better deal was offered for Schneider and Gillis took it, Luongo resumes his number one status and continues to be the professional he is.

But returning to the topic, Gillis cannot trade either one without a proven goalie coming back in case of injury at that position. Unless you fancy Matt Climie or Joe Cannata in the pipes facing the Blackhawks this spring...
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

ukcanuck wrote:But returning to the topic, Gillis cannot trade either one without a proven goalie coming back in case of injury at that position. Unless you fancy Matt Climie or Joe Cannata in the pipes facing the Blackhawks this spring...
If you trade one of our two goalies and the other one goes down, you're toast.

"No cup for u!"

Don't waste a player coming back on the backup from "team x". Pick up a backup for free over the summer. Somewhere out there will be a suitable temporary backup.

Schneids or Lou can play the remaining 15 games and all of the playoffs.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jovocop wrote:Why bother talking about Schneider if Luongo is the one who wants to move back to the East, closer to his family?
Because they are armchair idiots?

Mind you if the Experts on TSN can get the Iggy trade so wrong then why should we expect the average Joe Blow can't understand that Luo [had issues with]his wife, his wife said get out East where I can keep an eye on so you are away from those West Coasters and that Luo fully expects MG to follow up on his promise to accomodate him.

the above was edited by a moderator of this board
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Arachnid wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Why bother talking about Schneider if Luongo is the one who wants to move back to the East, closer to his family?
Because.
I believe that you should delete your comments. You don't want to get the board in trouble.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jovocop wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Because.
I believe that you should delete your comments. You don't want to get the board in trouble.
Why? We have the best editors in Hockey Talk! :D

I'm not deleting the comment about idiots bringing up trading Cory.

Seriously guys, just stop it. :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Lu is the one going because he's asked to be traded. There's no use in keeping a guy who doesn't want to be here.

Time to go Lu, hopefully Gillis feels the same way.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I get a good laugh from the posts that warn us that trading Lou is a bad move because if Schneider gets hurt then we are screwed.

No shit Sherlocks.

That puts us in the same boat as every other team in the league.

Having a pair of great goalies isn't going to do anything in the playoffs if the team can't score because there aren't any forwards to get it done,
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Sportsnet guys were reporting that T-O and Van are again negotiating a Luongo trade. It was said that Gillis has lowered his asking price.
I think he said it was Damian Cox reported it so take it for what it is.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leaves/201 ... n_cox.html
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need air...call it in
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Get UFA Bozak for a 5th or 6th rounder when the leaves crap out and drop out of the playoffs.
(What? Are they still in it? :P )
Quite amazing what bringing in a new coach can do to a team.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'd be knocking on Washington's door. They have a goalie they could spare, a centre we could use who is UFA and plenty of prospects. If they don't want to part with their 1st this year make it next year or take another prospect.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

vic wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: Get UFA Bozak for a 5th or 6th rounder when the leaves crap out and drop out of the playoffs.
TO actually managed to beat the Bruins IN THE GAHDEN so I'm rather regrettably forced to concede to my TO friends that the Laffs might be for real. The Rangers are still sputtering along and the 'Canes are into the crapper so nobody looks to dump TO out of the playoffs

(I just about barfed on the keyboard :crazy: )
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
vic wrote:
TO actually managed to beat the Bruins IN THE GAHDEN so I'm rather regrettably forced to concede to my TO friends that the Laffs might be for real. The Rangers are still sputtering along and the 'Canes are into the crapper so nobody looks to dump TO out of the playoffs

(I just about barfed on the keyboard :crazy: )

The leaves have a good team but come playoff time I do not see either of their goalie as being able to steal a series or two, and that is what it will take. The Pens have goaltending issues, unless MAF recovers from his injury and regains his cup winning form, or Vokoun shines which is possible, but will rely upon their top nine to out score other teams. The leaves don't have that type of fire power.

The leaves are still a young team but are now well coached. I just don't see them going deep.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: The Pens have goaltending issues, unless MAF recovers from his injury and regains his cup winning form, or Vokoun shines which is possible, but will rely upon their top nine to out score other teams.
LOL @ regaining his cup winning form. Even then the Penguins had to out score their opponent a lot. Fleury made some saves when it counted, but overall he wasn't great.

Fortunately for Pittsburgh they can probably average over 3 goals a game now come playoffs.....won't be surprised to see them closing in on 4 or more.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Penguins though if they do encounter the Bruins. The way Boston plays it won't be surprising to see either or both of Crosby and Malkin end up getting hurt and missing at least a game.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:I get a good laugh from the posts that warn us that trading Lou is a bad move because if Schneider gets hurt then we are screwed.

No shit Sherlocks.

That puts us in the same boat as every other team in the league.

Having a pair of great goalies isn't going to do anything in the playoffs if the team can't score because there aren't any forwards to get it done,
What would be different than every other team in the league is having absolutely no back up having played one minute in the NHL...
Every other team will have a one two combination while we are one goalie run away from Matt clime in the playoffs...
Unless a top six proven scorer is coming back with a back up goalie as part of the package, better to wait till the draft to move Luongo you never know how it shakes down, maybe Luongo helps us move up in the draft