From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by BCExpat »

Thanks HW - good post.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Thanks HW.

I hope Iginla does get his ring in Pittsburgh.....so long as they aren't playing for it against us (fat chance). :P

It will also give me some satisfaction to watch my brother turn into a little crying bitch and swear off of NHL hockey forever if Crosby gets another ring. :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I love Iginla and even more so after Linden's last game and he lead the Flames back on the ice to shake Trevor's hand. I thought that was pure class. I would love to see what Iginla could do playing the right side with the twins. I think he would be dynamite and I also think he would bring some toughness to that line and not let them get bitch slapped. And the price is one we could have afforded but from what I know now he would not have agreed to waive to come to Vancouver so Mg had no chance to get him at that price. If he was moving he wanted to move for a chance at the cup.

If we are knocked out I will be cheering for the Pens. I'd love to see Iginla win a cup and even more so now that it isn't with Calgary. :mrgreen:

In the off season he will get one last chance for a retirement contract. I see him getting Doan type of money and term somewhere. If he wins a cup I am sure he will have more options in his mind. If not then I see him looking to a contender again. He won't be back in Calgary. And I don't think he sees Vancouver as a fit. Not right now anyway, the rivalry thing and all but who knows in the off season. But we won't be able to afford him.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Iggy is the best flame ever.,.such a waste
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:Calgary got screwed.

Pittsburgh is near the top of the standings, if they win it all the first rounder gets them the 30th overall pick. Nothing special there.

The prospects aren't anything special either. .
Not really, Calgary got a couple of prospects and a low first rounder for a guy UFA at season's end.

And he may decide to re-sign in Calgary for another year?
(And get traded next Feb for another 1st rounder? :wow: )

And keep in mind that the Pens are giving all this up for 2 months service or so, they have pretty much no chance of keeping him. They have only 8 forwards signed for next year, + need a couple D men, and have 3 RFA's. They have only $10 mil cap, so unless Jerome is willing to take a really deep cut to remain in P-burg or they trade away Letang or some other major piece I don't see how they can keep him.

If Jerome resigns a 1 yr deal in Calgary (cuz his family is there etc) then who got the better out of the deal?
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Vpete wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Kipper will get the Sundin treatment now from the Calgary faithful. What I found most surprising was when some of the commentators said they expected he might actually retire after this season since he will only earn 1.5 next year if he plays. Although I think he comes back if for no other reason than to have a shot at what will be his last Olympics, should he make the team.

I supported Sundin in his stance and I support Kipper in his. Tough sell but the reality of business.

Just glad Luongo hasn't taken that stance.
Sundin had that right due to contract NTC- Kipper does not. All that talk about class in Calgary really has no meaning when St. Mikka doesn't get his way.

Of course he has the right to refuse to report and retire any damn day he pleases. Just like a team has the right to sit a player in the press box and not dress them or ask them to sit at home all season so as not to get hurt so they can be bought out. Or a team decides for medical reasons a player should not be on the ice even if the player disagrees. A team is under no obligation to play a player it has under contract yet when a player says I won't report, for family reasons I want to stay, suddenly he is in breach of his contract. Nonsense.

It's a business. Kipper cannot veto a trade. He knows that. But he has the right to stop playing hockey any day of the week. To imply otherwise is foolish. Some may not like it, but it is an option open to any player to simply say I won't play. He isn't the first player to do this and won't be the last. He could have waited until he was traded. And then decided that hey I think I will retire now. Is he in breach then? No, he simply decided to retire. But he had the balls to tell the Flames up front, I won't report, I will retire. Flames fans don't care if he retires. They would have been thrilled had he been traded for some decent return and then refused to report and retire. They then would have defended his right to do so and laughed at the team that got stuck with him, saying its all business. They would have called him loyal, and a true Flame. They are simply pissed because he did it first and unless a perspective team can persuade him to move he won't be traded.

He isn't asking for the right to pick and choose a destination. He is simply saying, I'm done. I will finish out my contract in Calgary and then I'm done.If Calgary wishes to trade him then he is done sooner. If he is using this to manipulate where he goes then I cry foul. If he says I won't report unless I like the team you want me to go to then, ya, he is being a manipulative prick. But thats not what I get from this. I get he is done and wants to be done in Calgary.
I don't disagree with everything you said- it's all fair. I think if Kipper is saying he wants to retire, retire already. He's not saying I'm done, he's saying if 'you use your contractual right to trade me I will use my right to retire'. It's not about retirement it's about him trying to prevent something from happening he doesn't want to happen. Once again, his right to proceed that way but still telling in some ways.

Glad it's not the Canucks problem.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

I think Iginla heard Marchand post game last night whining yet again about Montreal "embellishing" and told Feaster there was no way he could stomach the Bruins' never ending hypocrisy - send me to Pittsburgh.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Larry Goodenough wrote:I think Iginla heard Marchand post game last night whining yet again about Montreal "embellishing" and told Feaster there was no way he could stomach the Bruins' never ending hypocrisy - send me to Pittsburgh.
+1 It's pathetic. I watched that game and those fuckers are diving worse than I've seen in a long time. Did you guys see Thorton go down like a bag of onions by the MTL net? How can these refs look themselves in the mirror after getting sucked in like that....
If you need air...call it in
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:I think Iginla heard Marchand post game last night whining yet again about Montreal "embellishing" and told Feaster there was no way he could stomach the Bruins' never ending hypocrisy - send me to Pittsburgh.
+1 It's pathetic. I watched that game and those fuckers are diving worse than I've seen in a long time. Did you guys see Thorton go down like a bag of onions by the MTL net? How can these refs look themselves in the mirror after getting sucked in like that....
I just saw Marchand after the game with the Boston media lapping it up. TSN showed him with his stick clearly up in Subban's face and Chara butt ending another guy in the face, but Marchand was complaining about the calls and Montreal embellishing.

There's something odd about Boston sports in general. The citizens appear more interested in feeling morally superior to the opponent than winning. The players seem to know this and throw this stuff out there to distract from the fact they lost their composure and choked away the lead in an important game.

Does it have something to do with always being New York's little brother?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:How can these refs look themselves in the mirror after getting sucked in like that....
As long as the player's is not wearing Canucks no.14, the refs don't mind at all...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

After listening to Feaster, Chiarelli and Iginla I think it is pretty obvious that there was a major fuck up. When the Flames asked for a list of teams they were under the impression that those teams were approved and they were free to take the offer they liked best. Feaster told the Bruins you have a deal, you won the sweeps and he is yours. Thus all the leaks from Boston. Feaster told the Bruins he just had to go back to Iginla and get the paper work done and give him some time to deal with it. Then the Bruins hear nothing from noon until their game starts even though they are trying to reach feaster to find out why the delay. The delay? Iginla wanted to go to Pittsburg. Feaster is under the impression that he will go to any of the teams on his list if the Flames think it is the best deal. Iginla is like no, there is a list of teams you have deals with you can live with and I get the final say. So the delay was Feaster trying to persuade Iginla to take Boston and taking as much time as he needed to get there. But Iginla chose Pittsburg so now Feaster has to go back to Boston and say sorry player chose Pittsburg what can I say. Boston said wait you said we had a deal and all Feaster can do is say he thought they did too but the player chose Pittsburg.

So the moral of the story, when dealing with a player with a NMC/NTC be clear what the list is they are giving you. Have the pre approved a trade to any of those teams at your choice or are they saying, like Iginla did, here is a list, get deals you can live with and then I'll look at them all.

This is another blunder by Feaster. He told Boston we have a deal, it's the paper work that needs to get done. When in fact the Iginla camp was waiting for a list of what teams made offers Feaster could live with. So Feaster misunderstood, jumped the gun and had to back peddle. The other near blunder of course the other ROR offer sheet and waivers, which could have been a huge fiasco had the Avs not matched.

And yes, Iginla knew that Feaster had already told Boston he was going there. And yes Boston had asked for permission to talk to Iginla but the Flames said no. Why? Because Iginla and his agent did not want to entertain talks from other teams at this point.

By the way, speaking of Luongo, this is exactly what his agent has said to MG all along. When you get offers you can live with come to us and we will decide if we want to waive to any of those destinations. So if MG was ever unclear now is a good time to get clarity.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Thanks HW and yes it is a good lesson learned for MG to have.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL at uncle fester. He's making the inbreds from Viking look smart.

Best comment I read at Bountiful was someone asking if anybody in the deal needed to clear waivers.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Fifty Fifty
CC Rookie

Post by Fifty Fifty »

Hockey Widow wrote:After listening to Feaster, Chiarelli and Iginla I think it is pretty obvious that there was a major fuck up. When the Flames asked for a list of teams they were under the impression that those teams were approved and they were free to take the offer they liked best. Feaster told the Bruins you have a deal, you won the sweeps and he is yours. Thus all the leaks from Boston. Feaster told the Bruins he just had to go back to Iginla and get the paper work done and give him some time to deal with it. Then the Bruins hear nothing from noon until their game starts even though they are trying to reach feaster to find out why the delay. The delay? Iginla wanted to go to Pittsburg. Feaster is under the impression that he will go to any of the teams on his list if the Flames think it is the best deal. Iginla is like no, there is a list of teams you have deals with you can live with and I get the final say. So the delay was Feaster trying to persuade Iginla to take Boston and taking as much time as he needed to get there. But Iginla chose Pittsburg so now Feaster has to go back to Boston and say sorry player chose Pittsburg what can I say. Boston said wait you said we had a deal and all Feaster can do is say he thought they did too but the player chose Pittsburg.

So the moral of the story, when dealing with a player with a NMC/NTC be clear what the list is they are giving you. Have the pre approved a trade to any of those teams at your choice or are they saying, like Iginla did, here is a list, get deals you can live with and then I'll look at them all.

This is another blunder by Feaster. He told Boston we have a deal, it's the paper work that needs to get done. When in fact the Iginla camp was waiting for a list of what teams made offers Feaster could live with. So Feaster misunderstood, jumped the gun and had to back peddle. The other near blunder of course the other ROR offer sheet and waivers, which could have been a huge fiasco had the Avs not matched.

And yes, Iginla knew that Feaster had already told Boston he was going there. And yes Boston had asked for permission to talk to Iginla but the Flames said no. Why? Because Iginla and his agent did not want to entertain talks from other teams at this point.

By the way, speaking of Luongo, this is exactly what his agent has said to MG all along. When you get offers you can live with come to us and we will decide if we want to waive to any of those destinations. So if MG was ever unclear now is a good time to get clarity.
What I don't understand is how Iginla knew of the Pittsburgh offer. If the deal was to bring offer Calgary could "live with" then Feaster should not have put anything before Iginla until he had the deal he wanted and simply presented the Boston deal as the one he could live with. That the Pittsburgh offer was disclosed suggests that Iginla had made the disclosure of all offers a requirement and that should have told Feaster that Iginla intended to reserve some discretion. Telling that to Boston would have weakened Feaster's hand in levering the best possible deal out of them so he probably gave them the impression that his decision was final and thought/hoped he could sell Iginla on it.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

That is why you need and assistant like Gilman. He's the guy that defines the deals, dots the "I's" and crosses the "T's".

Oh and knows the CBA terms, doesn't just look them up online on a need to know basis.

The teams in Alberta are a never-ending source of entertainment from a management standpoint.