Meds wrote:Calgary got screwed.
Pittsburgh is near the top of the standings, if they win it all the first rounder gets them the 30th overall pick. Nothing special there.
The prospects aren't anything special either. .
Hockey Widow wrote:Vpete wrote:Hockey Widow wrote:Kipper will get the Sundin treatment now from the Calgary faithful. What I found most surprising was when some of the commentators said they expected he might actually retire after this season since he will only earn 1.5 next year if he plays. Although I think he comes back if for no other reason than to have a shot at what will be his last Olympics, should he make the team.
I supported Sundin in his stance and I support Kipper in his. Tough sell but the reality of business.
Just glad Luongo hasn't taken that stance.
Sundin had that right due to contract NTC- Kipper does not. All that talk about class in Calgary really has no meaning when St. Mikka doesn't get his way.
Of course he has the right to refuse to report and retire any damn day he pleases. Just like a team has the right to sit a player in the press box and not dress them or ask them to sit at home all season so as not to get hurt so they can be bought out. Or a team decides for medical reasons a player should not be on the ice even if the player disagrees. A team is under no obligation to play a player it has under contract yet when a player says I won't report, for family reasons I want to stay, suddenly he is in breach of his contract. Nonsense.
It's a business. Kipper cannot veto a trade. He knows that. But he has the right to stop playing hockey any day of the week. To imply otherwise is foolish. Some may not like it, but it is an option open to any player to simply say I won't play. He isn't the first player to do this and won't be the last. He could have waited until he was traded. And then decided that hey I think I will retire now. Is he in breach then? No, he simply decided to retire. But he had the balls to tell the Flames up front, I won't report, I will retire. Flames fans don't care if he retires. They would have been thrilled had he been traded for some decent return and then refused to report and retire. They then would have defended his right to do so and laughed at the team that got stuck with him, saying its all business. They would have called him loyal, and a true Flame. They are simply pissed because he did it first and unless a perspective team can persuade him to move he won't be traded.
He isn't asking for the right to pick and choose a destination. He is simply saying, I'm done. I will finish out my contract in Calgary and then I'm done.If Calgary wishes to trade him then he is done sooner. If he is using this to manipulate where he goes then I cry foul. If he says I won't report unless I like the team you want me to go to then, ya, he is being a manipulative prick. But thats not what I get from this. I get he is done and wants to be done in Calgary.
Larry Goodenough wrote:I think Iginla heard Marchand post game last night whining yet again about Montreal "embellishing" and told Feaster there was no way he could stomach the Bruins' never ending hypocrisy - send me to Pittsburgh.
Uncle dans leg wrote:Larry Goodenough wrote:I think Iginla heard Marchand post game last night whining yet again about Montreal "embellishing" and told Feaster there was no way he could stomach the Bruins' never ending hypocrisy - send me to Pittsburgh.
+1 It's pathetic. I watched that game and those fuckers are diving worse than I've seen in a long time. Did you guys see Thorton go down like a bag of onions by the MTL net? How can these refs look themselves in the mirror after getting sucked in like that....
Hockey Widow wrote:After listening to Feaster, Chiarelli and Iginla I think it is pretty obvious that there was a major fuck up. When the Flames asked for a list of teams they were under the impression that those teams were approved and they were free to take the offer they liked best. Feaster told the Bruins you have a deal, you won the sweeps and he is yours. Thus all the leaks from Boston. Feaster told the Bruins he just had to go back to Iginla and get the paper work done and give him some time to deal with it. Then the Bruins hear nothing from noon until their game starts even though they are trying to reach feaster to find out why the delay. The delay? Iginla wanted to go to Pittsburg. Feaster is under the impression that he will go to any of the teams on his list if the Flames think it is the best deal. Iginla is like no, there is a list of teams you have deals with you can live with and I get the final say. So the delay was Feaster trying to persuade Iginla to take Boston and taking as much time as he needed to get there. But Iginla chose Pittsburg so now Feaster has to go back to Boston and say sorry player chose Pittsburg what can I say. Boston said wait you said we had a deal and all Feaster can do is say he thought they did too but the player chose Pittsburg.
So the moral of the story, when dealing with a player with a NMC/NTC be clear what the list is they are giving you. Have the pre approved a trade to any of those teams at your choice or are they saying, like Iginla did, here is a list, get deals you can live with and then I'll look at them all.
This is another blunder by Feaster. He told Boston we have a deal, it's the paper work that needs to get done. When in fact the Iginla camp was waiting for a list of what teams made offers Feaster could live with. So Feaster misunderstood, jumped the gun and had to back peddle. The other near blunder of course the other ROR offer sheet and waivers, which could have been a huge fiasco had the Avs not matched.
And yes, Iginla knew that Feaster had already told Boston he was going there. And yes Boston had asked for permission to talk to Iginla but the Flames said no. Why? Because Iginla and his agent did not want to entertain talks from other teams at this point.
By the way, speaking of Luongo, this is exactly what his agent has said to MG all along. When you get offers you can live with come to us and we will decide if we want to waive to any of those destinations. So if MG was ever unclear now is a good time to get clarity.
Users browsing this forum: dbr, Google [Bot] and 4 guests