What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Post by Diehard1 »

Just as the headline states - what would you do if you were Gillis? Here are my thoughts (yep, there are a few of them):

1) Trade Luongo - notice I didn't say try to trade him, I said trade him. This circus has gone on long enough, good on Lu for not making it worse but he wants to go and he's not necessary anymore. Gillis should take the best offer on the table, whatever it might be, and move him while getting a decent backup for injury cover in return. Don't need this distraction during the playoffs, wondering who might start the next game if Schneids looks shakey one game (and he will, goalies always do).

2) Try to trade Ballard - and this time I mean try, you don't have to do it but it might be a good idea. We all know he's as good as gone in the summer as he's redundant with Garrison, Hamhuis and Edler ahead of him on the left side, never mind the fact his salary is high. He's not all that valuable but if you can get something for him and replace him with a depth guy for this year you do it, if not you try to trade/buy him out in the summer. I'd get rid of Ballard over Booth simply because Booth fills a need (LW with Raymond and Higgins both UFA) more than Ballard does, even though Ballard has been better this season.

3) Find another top 9 forward - ideally this is a center, but a guy who can play center or wing would be fine. He needs to be able to take faceoffs, preferably is a left handed shot and has a little bit of offense. The biggest lift the top 9 will get is Kesler's return in a few weeks, other than that the depth on wing is very good when healthy.

4) Trade one of Higgins/Raymond - This assumes everyone is healthy, or close to it. I say this because I hate losing assets for nothing, and there's no way Gillis signs both. I'd offer one a contract and see if you can sign him, then trade the other. Ideally you keep Raymond because physical wingers in Jensen and potentially Laganiere (if signed) are close to the NHL.

All of these aren't mutually exclusive - i.e. you could get a top 9 guy in return for Lu - but this is what I would do. Don't trade too much youth but a pick or a prospect is fine, just not multiple of each unless it's a long term sloution.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: What would you do at the deadline if you were Gillis?

Post by Jovocop »

Diehard1 wrote:Just as the headline states - what would you do if you were Gillis? Here are my thoughts (yep, there are a few of them):

1) Trade Luongo - notice I didn't say try to trade him, I said trade him. This circus has gone on long enough, good on Lu for not making it worse but he wants to go and he's not necessary anymore. Gillis should take the best offer on the table, whatever it might be, and move him while getting a decent backup for injury cover in return. Don't need this distraction during the playoffs, wondering who might start the next game if Schneids looks shakey one game (and he will, goalies always do).

2) Try to trade Ballard - and this time I mean try, you don't have to do it but it might be a good idea. We all know he's as good as gone in the summer as he's redundant with Garrison, Hamhuis and Edler ahead of him on the left side, never mind the fact his salary is high. He's not all that valuable but if you can get something for him and replace him with a depth guy for this year you do it, if not you try to trade/buy him out in the summer. I'd get rid of Ballard over Booth simply because Booth fills a need (LW with Raymond and Higgins both UFA) more than Ballard does, even though Ballard has been better this season.

3) Find another top 9 forward - ideally this is a center, but a guy who can play center or wing would be fine. He needs to be able to take faceoffs, preferably is a left handed shot and has a little bit of offense. The biggest lift the top 9 will get is Kesler's return in a few weeks, other than that the depth on wing is very good when healthy.
Agreed. I believe that Luongo will be gone this deadline. Schneider has 6 straight starts right before the deadline. I just can't justify sitting Luongo for that long unless MG does not want him to get injured before the deadline...
Diehard1 wrote: 4) Trade one of Higgins/Raymond - This assumes everyone is healthy, or close to it. I say this because I hate losing assets for nothing, and there's no way Gillis signs both. I'd offer one a contract and see if you can sign him, then trade the other. Ideally you keep Raymond because physical wingers in Jensen and potentially Laganiere (if signed) are close to the NHL.
The Canucks should treat them as deadline rentals. Instead of getting something for them, MG does not need to give up something for someone to replace them...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I think Ballard should be traded, but IMO wait until the off season. The return will not be great, yet Ballard is a serviceable player (D and forward :) ), so keep him around for the rest of this year.

It's looking more and more like Luongo should have been traded earlier rather than later, so yes, I'd like to see him go. That being said, the best options may be in the off season.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

What happens if Schneider trips over his dick in the shower and is out for 6 weeks or some such shit and you just traded Luongo for low draft picks to your competition for a cup??

Ballard is depth at D which we need every year in the playoffs without fail...
Mayray would return more in the offseason IMHO...

If its GM UK at the helm is look hard at Clowe with the intent on signing him and buying out or trading Ballard in the offseason

Edit: Depends heavily on the return of Kesler and the inside scoop on whether Clowe will re-sign.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Totally agree! Luongo needs to be traded no matter what. If the best offer is a 7th round pick, let's move a top 5 goalie for that. We have too much talent and we need to come back to the pack a little bit. Let's throw in Alex Burrows and the Sedins too while we're at it.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

It would be great if we can trade Lou @ the deadline, but i'm not sure it'll happen. Maybe unless Lou forces gillis to do it. I think we may have to wait till the offseason to off load him. The contract is just too hard for teams to take on and his possible destinations are really limited as he only wants to go to a handful of places. It really looks like gillis wanted too much and/or waited too long with this asset. If Lou is moved @ the deadline, gillis is probably just cutting his loses and taking whatever he can get.

I agree, I think the Nucks could really use a centre-man, a two-way guy with decent faceoff skillz would be great. I thought we really needed a centre like last week, but now that we rung off 5 straight and it sounds like Kes might start skating again, we're kind of sitting pretty and not as desperate now. Not sure if gillis is going to make any big blockbuster type deals @ the deadline, but I could see him making some minor moves/rentals.

I'd like to move Ballard & Booth as well, but I don't see that really happening until the offseason as MG likes having depth. Maybe if we can move one of those guys for a similar calibre player, but plays centre, it'd be great.

However, playing armchair quarterback, if I were the big cheeze for this team I would:
1) add a big strong stay-at-home Dman (bryan allen/willie mitchell type)
2) try to acquire a winger who can score, (ie - vanek, marleau, etc). I would prefer a power forward type like Iggy/Doan, but a guy who can put the puck in the net is the biggest priority. No doubt this will be a tough move to make happen
3) re-activate Manny Malhotra. Give him the 4th line and give him a limited role for defensive faceoff situations and PK.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Status quo. It's a huge waste of resources going for rentals that rarely solve a teams problems. If Morrow, Iggy and Murray walk, Pittsburgh is out a 1st, 2 2nds, a 5th and their top prospect. Wow
Luongo is an excellent insurance policy and if you're going to get peanuts, what's the difference between this summer and now?
I hang on to Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre. Depth is depth and they're playing good hockey. Try to resign in the summer or replace them when there's other UFAs to pick from.
If you need air...call it in
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

I hear Ville Leino is available if we dangle some first round picks.

(Or not...) :P
Uncle dans leg wrote:Status quo. It's a huge waste of resources going for rentals that rarely solve a teams problems. If Morrow, Iggy and Murray walk, Pittsburgh is out a 1st, 2 2nds, a 5th and their top prospect. Wow
Luongo is an excellent insurance policy and if you're going to get peanuts, what's the difference between this summer and now?
I hang on to Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre. Depth is depth and they're playing good hockey. Try to resign in the summer or replace them when there's other UFAs to pick from.
+1

Get UFA Bozak for a 5th or 6th rounder when the leaves crap out and drop out of the playoffs.
(What? Are they still in it? :P )

With Kes healthy we would have a decent team, a low pick for a 3rd round center perhaps, but don't morgage the farm for some rental
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

The_Pauser wrote:Totally agree! Luongo needs to be traded no matter what. If the best offer is a 7th round pick, let's move a top 5 goalie for that. We have too much talent and we need to come back to the pack a little bit. Let's throw in Alex Burrows and the Sedins too while we're at it.
You know what Gillis should do? Hang on to Lu for the next 5 years, because somebody's going to make a better offer right? He's getting younger and better right?

If you haven't had a good offer in the close to a year he's been on the market you aren't getting one. Move on.

This is a great reply by the way - you're the guy who always criticizes other opinions but won't make your own, for fear of being criticized back. Feel free to write down what you would do.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Trade Luongo for a player that can help us now, that is what I'd do. That was Gillis's plan and I'm still waiting for it to happen. We shall see, soon enough.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Diehard1 wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Totally agree! Luongo needs to be traded no matter what. If the best offer is a 7th round pick, let's move a top 5 goalie for that. We have too much talent and we need to come back to the pack a little bit. Let's throw in Alex Burrows and the Sedins too while we're at it.
You know what Gillis should do? Hang on to Lu for the next 5 years, because somebody's going to make a better offer right? He's getting younger and better right?

If you haven't had a good offer in the close to a year he's been on the market you aren't getting one. Move on.

This is a great reply by the way - you're the guy who always criticizes other opinions but won't make your own, for fear of being criticized back. Feel free to write down what you would do.
If you haven't had a good offer for Luongo at all, but are getting great offers for Schneider, then it's a no brainer that you have to trade Schneider. Simple as that.

Dumping Luongo for slop is a stupid move no matter how you slice it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Some tough decision need to be made for next season. The cap difference between Luongo and CS is what, 1.3? That could make a big difference with respect to players that can be extend offers or picked up as FA. That, the age and term make moving Luongo the better choice.

Trading Luongo will feel in a lot of ways like the Flames feel in losing Iginla, at least to me. But he is the better choice to move regardless of the return. Well, OK I will qualify that. If CS draws a significant upgraded offer over any Luongo offers then well MG needs to reassess.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

HW, it's time to move on from Bobby Luo, from the perspective of both sides.

Schneider is younger, cheaper and better. Any potentially "better" return from trading Schneider as opposed to Luongo is negated by Schneider's younger, better, cheaper qualities. Not to mention Luongo has been shown to have a nasty case of the playoff yips.

Time to move on, if for no other reason than we can stop talking about this! Jesus!
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

herb wrote:HW, it's time to move on from Bobby Luo, from the perspective of both sides.

Schneider is younger, cheaper and better. Any potentially "better" return from trading Schneider as opposed to Luongo is negated by Schneider's younger, better, cheaper qualities. Not to mention Luongo has been shown to have a nasty case of the playoff yips.

Time to move on, if for no other reason than we can stop talking about this! Jesus!
That's just garbage. A complete fabrication of our stupid media that some "fans" have latched on to due to a lack of knowledge about other goalies around the league.

Schneider is not a better goalie than Luongo.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Why bother talking about Schneider if Luongo is the one who wants to move back to the East, closer to his family?