Gillis. Who is He?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis. Who is He?

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote:When it comes to providing sources for an argument, I have one highly connected NHL writer. You have rhetorical claims. Are you closer to the league and have better sources than DamoSpin? Do you honestly believe that you have more insight than him, someone who spends his life on the topic?
And that means exactly Jack Shit. Sports WRITERS have about as much insight as the average avid fan of the game. The difference is that they break the story and find out about half and hour before the rest of the world.....it's their job. When I count out the number of "connected" writers who have stated something that is a "rumor" but gone on and say it's a "safe bet" and then been totally wrong......well I run out of fingers and toes in a hurry.

Insight? LMAO! Most of the talking heads get a few tips here and there, but if you follow the game closely enough, you can generally tell who is going to be a buyer and a seller, and you can look and see what names and contracts are likely to be moved. But you tell us all about your sports writer who is so highly connected..... :roll:
Mondi wrote: And I'll say is that if you interpret the bible literally...it may call into question your common sense. And let's face it, common sense is required to play sports.
Hmmm.....

Mike Gartner interpreted it literally.....but he was a terrible hockey player. The loser only scored a little over 700 goals in his career.

Dan Hamhuis interprets it literally. He has absolutely ZERO hockey sense and is a terribly stupid defenseman.

Paul Henderson.....there's another. Man what did he ever do as a hockey player?

Jarome Iginla says he interprets it literally. Total bust as an athlete.....all the tools but no sense.

Mike Fisher, Shane Doan, Joe Sakic, Markus Naslund, Val Bure......

Some sources list the Staal brothers, Cam Ward, Robyn Regehr, Curtis Joseph, Al McInnis, and Glen Wesley. All gifted athletes who just couldn't put it together on the ice.

Now that's just hockey.....and it isn't even a complete list. Shall we dive into other sports like baseball and football? I mean, after all, you did generalize by saying "...play sports".

Keep 'em coming Mondi.

:lol:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:I find it shocking that anyone watching the Canucks play could even hint that signing Jason Garrison was a bad move.

Those in this thread who have criticized that move should delete their accounts now and go hang out at cdc.
Where's the damned "Like" button?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: GILLIS IS FUCKED!

No he isn't

:stupid:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:I wonder if Dave Nonis has put the call out to Gillis pointing out " Hey Mikey, those bare cupboards ya slagged me for at your press conference hiring, don't look any fuller now than they were back then. I see Hockeysfuture has your drafting ranked 29th in the league. In fact, I would say your cupboards look a whole lot emptier than they did back way then. But anyhow, nice work Einstein."
Hockey's future? Seriously? Those morons have had Columbus, Florida, Minny, Atlanta/Winnipeg, and Edmonton consistently in the top 5 or so teams over the past 5 years. Those teams have consistently been dogshit.

Rating prospects means nothing, it's all about development. Gillis is doing well with Tanev and Schroeder, and did well with Hodgson who he turned into Kassian. Unless you draft an absolute star you are likely getting a guy like Hall, Granlund, Derek Brassard and guys like that who need some time. Some teams develop them well. Some teams don't. Rating 19 and 20 year old kids means absolutely nothing.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:I find it shocking that anyone watching the Canucks play could even hint that signing Jason Garrison was a bad move.

Not only has he been far and away our best defenseman for the past 20 or so games but he's spent 90% of that time playing on the right side.

Those in this thread who have criticized that move should delete their accounts now and go hang out at cdc.

Garrison is exactly what we needed. A big, durable, 2-way defender, who can play both sides.
Sometimes your like a one trick pony. Some people like myself said there was a more pressing need for a forward than another high priced D man where we now have over 33% of the cap hit for next year on. Even more if we count in Ballard.
Well considering that the defense corps comprise 6 of the 20 dressed spots on a nightly roster.....that's not bad. 6 of 20 is 30%.

Now factor in that injuries to the blueline always seem to decimate teams, so a smart GM carries 7 active dmen and sometimes as many as 8. Well 7 spots of an active 23 man roster is....oh lookie here.....31%. If he carries 8 you are up to 35%.

Dammit Gillis! You have committed a whopping 33% of the total cap space to the blueline. You dumbass!!!!

OK, Ballard's contract is a bust and takes us to probably 40%, but had he panned out the way he did for his former teams (Phoenix and Flordia) then the Canucks blueline would have been incredible. Some of it is coaching, some of it is Ballard. Regardless, if you can ice a blueline that takes up 40% of your cap, but is hands down the best all-round corps in the league. Who cares. You go 3 lines up front and plug the 4th line.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Diehard1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I wonder if Dave Nonis has put the call out to Gillis pointing out " Hey Mikey, those bare cupboards ya slagged me for at your press conference hiring, don't look any fuller now than they were back then. I see Hockeysfuture has your drafting ranked 29th in the league. In fact, I would say your cupboards look a whole lot emptier than they did back way then. But anyhow, nice work Einstein."
Hockey's future? Seriously? Those morons have had Columbus, Florida, Minny, Atlanta/Winnipeg, and Edmonton consistently in the top 5 or so teams over the past 5 years. Those teams have consistently been dogshit.

Rating prospects means nothing, it's all about development. Gillis is doing well with Tanev and Schroeder, and did well with Hodgson who he turned into Kassian. Unless you draft an absolute star you are likely getting a guy like Hall, Granlund, Derek Brassard and guys like that who need some time. Some teams develop them well. Some teams don't. Rating 19 and 20 year old kids means absolutely nothing.
Markus Naslund, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin.....

3 names off the top of my head that have played for the Canucks and who were late-bloomers. All were expected to do well, but all of them took time to get there.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Reefer2 wrote: Sometimes your like a one trick pony.
It's you're.

Some people like myself said there was a more pressing need for a forward than another high priced D man where we now have over 33% of the cap hit for next year on. Even more if we count in Ballard.
What forward could we have signed with the money we gave Garrison?

And more importantly who cares what forward we gave up, JG is a fantastic player who fits this team like a glove. Why on earth is anyone questioning that signing?

We got an excellent player in his prime for a reasonable cap hit, and gave up nothing. How can anyone possibly argue that it was a poor move.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

As was said by myself , yourself, Diehard, Strangelove etc..... Garrison is a far better player than Salo right now.

All I can say is the people beaking off likely don't watch the games if they come to the conclusion Salo is the better player.

As an asside I would take Adrian Aucoin at this point on the 3rd pairing if there isn't much out there. I believe I have mentioned it in the past but he would a perfect RH d man on the bottom pairing or even as a # 7 d man and he isn't real expensive.

I would give up a decent prospect( Mallet, Price, Connauton etc. ) and a 2nd for Clowe..........or maybe the 2014 1st and a scrub prospect ( Blomstrand,Sauve, Polasek ) . Doubt SJ would take that though. I guess it depends if the Jarome to Beantown rumors are true- it may force the Sharks hand a bit . Kinda hope they are and Vancouver can take a run at Iginla July 1.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:As was said by myself , yourself, Diehard, Strangelove etc..... Garrison is a far better player than Salo right now.
He is better, by a long way.

Salo was very good for the first 20 or so games of last year, but then his play dropped like a rock. Those not paying attention just mentally pro-rated his first 20 over the whole season, and decided he had a good year despite his mediocre play down the stretch.

Further to that JG has been better the last 20 then Salo was over those first 20 games last year. He's been a rock defensively, he's moved the puck well, and he's been very solid on the power play. He's also appears to be the most physically able of all our defenseman to perform during a long post season. The guy is big, young, strong, and he has no injury history. The Canukcs have been desperate for a guy they could count on to hold up down the stretch and it looks like they got one.

That said Garrison has little or nothing to do with Salo. It wasn't a trade.

The Canucks would have been happy to have Salo back at a reasonable price, and even if they hadn't signed JG they still would not have matched the deal Tampa offered.
As an asside I would take Adrian Aucoin at this point on the 3rd pairing if there isn't much out there. I believe I have mentioned it in the past but he would a perfect RH d man on the bottom pairing or even as a # 7 d man and he isn't real expensive.
I would have had no prob with Aucoin, he is better then Alberts IMO.
I would give up a decent prospect( Mallet, Price, Connauton etc. ) and a 2nd for Clowe..........or maybe the 2014 1st and a scrub prospect ( Blomstrand,Sauve, Polasek ) .
Ditto on the 2nd +, bit worried to give up a 2014 first though.

Clowe is a pure rental given we have no cap space next year. If that were not the case I have no problem with either scenario.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I was thinking Aucoin would be a good pick up as well and Barbie as a back up if Luongo gets traded. Phoenix may want someone like Ballard who is under contract or Booth. But at any rate there are two players who could fill a role, should Luongo get dealt that is.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: GILLIS IS FUCKED!

No he isn't

:stupid:
Listen Blobby Beer Bellies, let me state again cause I don't think it has sunk in yet for you, "I have 3 words for the Roberto Luongo situation" - GILLIS IS FUCKED!

I had to sit their painfully listening to Tony 'Eor' Gallagher and Matt "Chief Wiggum' Sekaris go on so politely about how the Luongo situation for Gillis is very difficult, blah, blah, blah

Ya just know that, if this were Quinn, Burke or Nonis...the likes or Eor Gallagher would be all over them like white on rice regarding the Luongo situation. But being that it was Eor Gallagher who championed Mike Gillis to Aqualini to be the new GM of your Vancouver Canucks ya just know that Eor Gallagher is going to be extremely gracious, respectful and understanding for his good buddy ole Mikey "I am fucked" Gillis. It's this kind of double standard she-ite that I cannot stand from your local sporting journalist and a few quacks like Mëds and vic sekaris n such around here that drives ole Chef Boi RD around the bend, ya hear me? Ya dig?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: Sometimes your like a one trick pony.
It's you're.

Some people like myself said there was a more pressing need for a forward than another high priced D man where we now have over 33% of the cap hit for next year on. Even more if we count in Ballard.
What forward could we have signed with the money we gave Garrison?

And more importantly who cares what forward we gave up, JG is a fantastic player who fits this team like a glove. Why on earth is anyone questioning that signing?

We got an excellent player in his prime for a reasonable cap hit, and gave up nothing. How can anyone possibly argue that it was a poor move.
Your so full of wit :) smile

It is just not Kesler's injury it was the fact that he had probably a damn good idea that Malholtra would not finish the season and the past 2 playoffs it was scoring that was the reason the Canucks did not win.

The deal again is great, I wish he would hit the net more and they seem to finally be using him on the #1 PP but again the main issue was and still is at centre. These few wins have masked the problem on the team and I will eat my hat if this team can get past the first round if no deal is done.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
Mondi wrote:When it comes to providing sources for an argument, I have one highly connected NHL writer. You have rhetorical claims. Are you closer to the league and have better sources than DamoSpin? Do you honestly believe that you have more insight than him, someone who spends his life on the topic?
And that means exactly Jack Shit. Sports WRITERS have about as much insight as the average avid fan of the game. The difference is that they break the story and find out about half and hour before the rest of the world.....it's their job. When I count out the number of "connected" writers who have stated something that is a "rumor" but gone on and say it's a "safe bet" and then been totally wrong......well I run out of fingers and toes in a hurry.

Insight? LMAO! Most of the talking heads get a few tips here and there, but if you follow the game closely enough, you can generally tell who is going to be a buyer and a seller, and you can look and see what names and contracts are likely to be moved. But you tell us all about your sports writer who is so highly connected..... :roll:
Mondi wrote: And I'll say is that if you interpret the bible literally...it may call into question your common sense. And let's face it, common sense is required to play sports.
Hmmm.....

Mike Gartner interpreted it literally.....but he was a terrible hockey player. The loser only scored a little over 700 goals in his career.

Dan Hamhuis interprets it literally. He has absolutely ZERO hockey sense and is a terribly stupid defenseman.

Paul Henderson.....there's another. Man what did he ever do as a hockey player?

Jarome Iginla says he interprets it literally. Total bust as an athlete.....all the tools but no sense.

Mike Fisher, Shane Doan, Joe Sakic, Markus Naslund, Val Bure......

Some sources list the Staal brothers, Cam Ward, Robyn Regehr, Curtis Joseph, Al McInnis, and Glen Wesley. All gifted athletes who just couldn't put it together on the ice.

Now that's just hockey.....and it isn't even a complete list. Shall we dive into other sports like baseball and football? I mean, after all, you did generalize by saying "...play sports".

Keep 'em coming Mondi.

:lol:
Big difference amigo. Booth is a raging, in your face, Harold Camping McChristian holding prayer sessions beside the Canucks dressing room, thanking the Lord his savior in practically every interview he has. And then spends his summers slaying animals. That is just fucked up shit.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Lol...we could always have Jay Feaster as GM instead of MG. Then we could trade the twins for bubble gum trading cards and a 6 pack of Bud.

Man is cowtown boned after the Igilna trade.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mondi wrote:
As for those of you who say "Garrison is better than Salo, and if you disagree it means you don't even watch the games"...have a look at Salo. He's +10 on the Lightning. And, unless you all have Game Centre, you haven't seen one single Salo game this year.

There is an argument to be made. Particularly if you people are arguing based on Salo's performance last season.
The improvement is age and durability, not necessarily the points. Salo is 37 and has injury problems throughout his career. Not many GMs would give him a 2-yr $7.5m contract, except Yzerman. Garrison is 10 years younger than Salo and has been pretty durable. If you look at this shorten season, Garrison might not be "better" than Salo. However, if you look at it again next season or the season after, you will definitely see the difference.

Mondi wrote: Furthermore, my point was that Ballard prevented us from keeping Salo AND acquiring Garrison. And lastly, Garrison + Ballard is a higher cap hit than Salo + Erhoff. People love to point out Erhoff's deficiencies, of course these are very intangible deficiencies especially when you compare them with his ability to lead the PP, lead the breakout and his 50+ points. Nucks had the #1 PP with Salo and Erhoff. And the #28 PP with Garrison and Ballard. etc...etc...etc...etc...etc...etc...etc...
Ehrhoff is a different story. The cap hit is reason but the length of the contract is the problem. When people complain about Luongo's contract, they should look at Ehrhoff's contract first. How old will Ehrhoff be when his contract expires?