Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

And the reality of deadline day becomes apparent once again. It is not the time to build a team. It isn't even a time to plug holes, maybe one hole but not multiple holes. It is the time for a contender to create depth, add a piece or two to put them over the top.

My god with what is being kicked around Ballard should bring 2, 1 round picks :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Especially now that he has shown how brilliant he is as a forward. What versatility that man has.

There are a lot of players that would help but I hope MG does not pay the price for these rentals. Does make me wonder why he didn't put a claim in on Halpern or Juicy. Thos would fill holes and cost us nothing but cap space.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Iginla a healthy scratch tonight....let the games begin
If you need air...call it in
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Looks like the end of an era in Calgary as he is a healthy scratch as well as some top Boston prospects:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m
Rumors today in BOS were Jordan Caron and Matt Bartkowski were perhaps on way out. Caron in, Bartkowski scratched, Krug called up.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
Then BOS prospect Alex Khokhlachev a healthy scratch for Providence tonight and CGY announces Iginla a healthy scratch tonight.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

TSN says it's looking like Iginla to Boston for Alexander Khokhlachev (who TSN believes is Boston's best non-goalie prospect), Matt Bartkowski and a 1st round draft pick.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Sedins aren't in decline skill-wise or physically.

The Canucks' system is in decline. It is predictable and so point totals are dropping. We saw this being in the latter half of last season where more and more teams started to match up and play the Canucks the same way that Boston did in the Finals.

It has been the lack of adjustment to the attack that makes it appear like the Sedins are declining. It's the whole team. I don't notice them being slower, their passes are generally just as crisp, they still control the puck on the boards and win the majority of the one-on-one battles along the wall, they can still control the tempo of the play in the offensive zone and bottle teams up.....teams that DON'T play defense like the Bruins and Kings.

Give the team a new look on the attack and watch the Sedins produce again.

Oh, and they have to remember to shoot more often. That seems to be the issue too. It's another reason why I think Vigneault is done here, he has apparently been trying to get them to limit the cute passes and multi-pass plays and start getting pucks on net. They still don't shoot when given golden opportunities and always look to fake and pass off. If they aren't listening to the coach, then you can bet a fair chunk of the roster isn't either.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote:The Sedins aren't in decline skill-wise or physically.
Not sure I agree.

They are still very good players but their point totals and defensive game have been dropping year over year.

More importantly however their ability to kick it up and dominate the later parts of close games just does not seem to be there anymore. That is the thing that has concerned me the most this season. They were always the most fit guys on the ice and I'm not sure they have that edge anymore.

Still very good players and should be there for a while, but I really think they have taken a step back from where they were 2-3 years ago.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Island Nucklehead wrote:TSN says it's looking like Iginla to Boston for Alexander Khokhlachev (who TSN believes is Boston's best non-goalie prospect), Matt Bartkowski and a 1st round draft pick.
Considering what Pitt paid for Morrow, the Flames are getting bent over. As the TSN panel eluded to...the russian isn't an "A" level prospect, Bartkowski is a #5 Dman and Bostons 1st might end up a #30 pick.
Hardly a homerun. I would think Vancouver could beat that. (Not that I'm advocating him coming whatsoever)
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This years playoffs will tell us all we need to know about the twins. I thought their compete level was excellent in the brief series last year. They seem to be a bit more angry on the ice this season. An edge I have never seen before with these guys.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:This years playoffs will tell us all we need to know about the twins. I thought their compete level was excellent in the brief series last year. They seem to be a bit more angry on the ice this season. An edge I have never seen before with these guys.
Getting angry is a negative as far as I'm concerned. That was never their game.

They Twins used to where down their match up and then dominate them in the 3rd. That is what made them eliet players.

Not seeing that at all this year.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Remember, not so long ago in fact, when you all slagged ole Boi RD for saying that the best years are behind the 33 year old Sedins with all you saying things like "THEY HAVE LOTS OF AMAZING HOCKEY LEFT IN THEM YA TROLL!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:The Sedins aren't in decline skill-wise or physically.

The Canucks' system is in decline. It is predictable and so point totals are dropping. We saw this being in the latter half of last season where more and more teams started to match up and play the Canucks the same way that Boston did in the Finals.

It has been the lack of adjustment to the attack that makes it appear like the Sedins are declining. It's the whole team. I don't notice them being slower, their passes are generally just as crisp, they still control the puck on the boards and win the majority of the one-on-one battles along the wall, they can still control the tempo of the play in the offensive zone and bottle teams up.....teams that DON'T play defense like the Bruins and Kings.

Give the team a new look on the attack and watch the Sedins produce again.

Oh, and they have to remember to shoot more often. That seems to be the issue too. It's another reason why I think Vigneault is done here, he has apparently been trying to get them to limit the cute passes and multi-pass plays and start getting pucks on net. They still don't shoot when given golden opportunities and always look to fake and pass off. If they aren't listening to the coach, then you can bet a fair chunk of the roster isn't either.
There ain't nothing that I agree with you on Mëds, you are like my polar opposite. Would you mind if I called you ROSE COLORED GLASSES from now on?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Good points.... however did you not think Henrik was excellent in last years post season ? Maybe anger was a poor choice of words... I don't think they really have it in them, though I have enough for both. I guess I see a couple guys who might occasionally push back these days where they wouldn't do that before. I still see the great shifts where they do wear teams down and look like world beaters but they are few and far between compared to 2 - 3 years ago.

As I said this playoffs will reveal a lot about the twins.

As an asside dude they aren't 33 and they DO have a lot of good hockey left. You beak off like they are like Messier in his last two years. You do realize guys like St Louis, Chara, Hossa, Datsyuk, Zetterburg and a lot of others are still playing at a high level are older than the twins right ??? Maybe if they got some healthy fucking scoring support they would be able to breathe. Burrows needs an extended break from that line.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Remember, not so long ago in fact, when you all slagged ole Boi RD for saying that the best years are behind the 33 year old Sedins with all you saying things like "THEY HAVE LOTS OF AMAZING HOCKEY LEFT IN THEM YA TROLL!
They do have lots of excellent hockey left.

That said, very few forwards peak after 31+.

Welcome to stating the obvious (smile).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Remember, not so long ago in fact, when you all slagged ole Boi RD for saying that the best years are behind the 33 year old Sedins with all you saying things like "THEY HAVE LOTS OF AMAZING HOCKEY LEFT IN THEM YA TROLL!
They do have lots of excellent hockey left.

That said, very few forwards peak after 31+.

Welcome to stating the obvious (smile).
The point Mr Einstein was making along with his fellow mouth breathers was that the twins were on some fast track to hot garbage. That's why people took offence to his (their stupid comments) . The twins are still ppg players if thye have any kind of decent 2nd line centre on this team. How many ppg players are in the league ?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Good points.... however did you not think Henrik was excellent in last years post season ?
Agreed.

Not saying they can't have another good run, hopefully they can kick it up.

Maybe anger was a poor choice of words... I don't think they really have it in them, though I have enough for both. I guess I see a couple guys who might occasionally push back these days where they wouldn't do that before.
I don't see why that matters.

Their push back in past years was taking everything their opponents had and still dominating the 3rd, because they had more endurance.

Their physical push back was irrelevant in previous years and still is. That just never mattered to the outcome of games and it still doesn't. To me then engaging in any after whistle stuff just takes away from what made them truly elite players.