What does Gillis do with the expiring contracts?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: What does Gillis do with the expiring contracts?

Post by Diehard1 »

The_Pauser wrote:LA had scoring problems last year so they went out and picked up Jeff Carter. We have had scoring problems in the playoffs for two years now and we're looking at guys like Nate Thompson to save us.

Pittsburgh had problems with giving up too many goals so they went out and picked up another defensive defenseman, and a gritty defensively responsible winger. See the trend? Teams that address their problems win, while teams like Vancouver who ignore their problems lose.
You sure seem to love picking a small sample size to make your points - did Detroit win when they picked up Hossa? Did the Devils win when they picked up Kovalchuk? How about the Hawks, they must have picked up somebody big to win their cup right? The Bruins?

Fact is, you put the best team on the ice that you can, and you need a ton of luck to win it as well. You get a hot goalie and you can win, you get a player playing out of his mind and you can win, you get shut down in one series and you lose, your goalie lets in a softie or two and you lose.

The Nucks have picked up a number of players at the deadline too in recent years, it hasn't led to a cup yet but maybe it does this year. You simply won't know until the playoffs happen, but I agree Gillis has some needs to address for this year.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Diehard1 wrote:
You sure seem to love picking a small sample size to make your points - did Detroit win when they picked up Hossa? Did the Devils win when they picked up Kovalchuk? How about the Hawks, they must have picked up somebody big to win their cup right? The Bruins?

Fact is, you put the best team on the ice that you can, and you need a ton of luck to win it as well. You get a hot goalie and you can win, you get a player playing out of his mind and you can win, you get shut down in one series and you lose, your goalie lets in a softie or two and you lose.

The Nucks have picked up a number of players at the deadline too in recent years, it hasn't led to a cup yet but maybe it does this year. You simply won't know until the playoffs happen, but I agree Gillis has some needs to address for this year.
+1

Carter was a special case as he had already years of experience plaing with Richards, and the team had a half season or so to gel together before their win.

In fact, can anyone cite an example of a team in the last few years that picked up a big name at the trade deadline before they wone the cup?
Radulov & Kostysin didn't work out so well for the Preds, adding Nash hasn't made the Rangers dominant either.
Boy the Canucks sure became world beaters by adding Mark Messier, Mats Sundin or Barry Pederson didn't they?

It usually takes some time before a team can integrate major changes.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Diehard1 wrote:
Hawks picked up Hossa they year they won, did they not?

Bruins got Horton who played a MASSIVE role in the playoffs including running into Aaron Rome.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Florida played a massive role in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. Even though they made their trades prior to the 2011 season and not at the trade deadline, Boston managed to steal Horton and Campbell from Florida for Wideman and a 1st, whereas your Canucks acquired Keith Ballard for Grabner and a 1st.

Every Canuck trade deadline acquisition since the Ronning/Momesso/Brown trade has been meek. That's 20 years of "meh" - not a great track record.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

vic wrote:
Hawks picked up Hossa they year they won, did they not?
No they did not.
He signed in July of 2009 following the 2008-2009 season, and they won the playoffs in 2010
Bruins got Horton who played a MASSIVE role in the playoffs including running into Aaron Rome.
And again, not a deadline pickup, he played the whole season there.

So if the Canucks want to make a big trade or free agent signing to compete in the 2014 playoffs, great!

Again I ask, can anybody think of a big-name player in the last decade who joined an NHL team near the trade deadline and was a key part of winning the Cup?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

^ Fair enough on the two of them not being trade deadline pickups...

Define "Big Named Player"

And if you think that a big named player trade deadline acquisition has never worked in the past decade, then you should also believe that AV will not win a cup with the Canucks being all the coaches who have won a cup with their teams in the past decade + (only went back 11 seasons) did so within the first 4 years behind the bench (most often within the first 3 years)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Looks like vic was buying into Sekaris and Prices bullshite today.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
P.S. Raymond and Higgens would never bring back first rounders as rentals.

Ya think?

Would you consider someone brain damaged if they thought that seasons end UFA secondary players in Higgins and Raymond would bring back 1st round picks at the deadline. I would.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

vic wrote: ^ Fair enough on the two of them not being trade deadline pickups...

Define "Big Named Player"
Nash
Iginla
Doan
Gaborik

Something like that.

These guys ain't "plug & play", so if somebody is willing to pay a first rounder & a blue chip for an Iginla rental I'll be shocked if it works out well.

IMO, a team should only use a low round pick to get a rental role-player if they already have the high end talent to make a cup run, not to try to jump start a broken offence.
vic wrote: And if you think that a big named player trade deadline acquisition has never worked in the past decade, then you should also believe that AV will not win a cup with the Canucks being all the coaches who have won a cup with their teams in the past decade + (only went back 11 seasons) did so within the first 4 years behind the bench (most often within the first 3 years)
I can't disagree there, AV is well past his "best before" date, I think they'd do better with a new coach.
An early exit this year might be his last season in VAN, regardless of contract.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tanti09 wrote:
Every Canuck trade deadline acquisition since the Ronning/Momesso/Brown trade has been meek. That's 20 years of "meh" - not a great track record.

Those were two different trades. Butcher and Quinn for Ronning, Courtnall, Dirk and Momesso

the other was St Louis putting together a compensation package for signing FA Peter Nedved. The arbitrator awarded Vancouver Craig Janney who refused to report. Canucks asked for Shanahan instead..... but settled on a package of Brown, Lafayette and Hedican.

Sigh, I see our resident weak bladder is hammering the sheets with piss again. :|
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Those were the best days in Canuckland :cheers: I loved that teams heart
If you need air...call it in
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote:Looks like vic was buying into Sekaris and Prices bullshite today.
Nope, but now you and your shite makes some sense as you are obviously a long time listener to the wonderful sports media we have here in Vancouver. Bet you're a big fan of Blake Price and Jason Botchford too.
Zamboni Driver wrote: Nash
Iginla
Doan
Gaborik
None of those guys have ever been involved in a trade at or close to the deadline. Maybe I should rephrase my question - define a "Big Time Player" who has in the past been moved at (or close) to the deadline. I.e. take all the moves that have been made over the past decade and out of those define the big time player.
Zamboni Driver wrote: I can't disagree there, AV is well past his "best before" date, I think they'd do better with a new coach.
An early exit this year might should be his last season in VAN, regardless of contract.
Fixed hat for ya 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote: Nope
What a Lying sack a shit...you loooooooooooooooooove Sekaris and Price.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

vic wrote:
AV is in his 6th (7th)? Year with the Canucks, his expiring contract never should have been extended.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...did you just throw a dart at your boi Gillis?

Anyhow, I'm on board with vic sekaris...we should trade Gaunce, Jensen, Corrado and a 1st for Iginla. I know Ed Willis and Ian MacIntyre between the period just went on and on an on about how we are just waaaaaaaaaaay to thin to deal prospects like how Hockeysfuture has us ranked 29th in prospects but the honey badger don't give a shit, get er done Gillis.

BTW, how did our prospect depth get so shittay anway? Worst it's been in years. Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
vic wrote:
AV is in his 6th (7th)? Year with the Canucks, his expiring contract never should have been extended.
BTW, how did our prospect depth get so shittay anway? Worst it's been in years. Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
We hit a Mac truck? :eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)