Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Meds » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Meds wrote:
$lacker wrote:I would assume that the Morrow deal will eliminate Pitt from the Iginla sweepstakes.
Boston will be upping their efforts me thinks!

It won't surprise me at all to see Iginla still in Calgary at the end of the season. I suspect that Feaster is going to want too much for him and the window of opportunity will close. Calgary's only hope for the future is that Feaster realizes that he doesn't have the pieces needed to compete and is willing to take draft picks in exchange for his aging stars. Iginla should get him, at the very least, a 1st and a couple of 2nd round picks, and they should take them and rebuild.

Iginla is almost done. I wouldn't pay a 1st for him, let alone throw in more picks. He has lost almost all of his explosive quickness and if you're looking for the guy who can score at a 40 goal/year pace...that guy is long gone.
To be honest Morrow is no different. These teams are giving up way too much for players well past their top form but are somehow still able to bring back top level returns. Joe Morrow was a huge gift to Dallas and it only went down because they have 3 or 4 more young D-men in the pipe...although none as good as Joe.
Pitt overpayed huge and if the price for a quarter speed Iginla is a 1st, a prospect and a player then I can't see any sane GM paying that price.
I dunno...maybe our GM should be credited for the trades he didn't make rather than chastised for not trading the future.

You might be right. I just checked and Iggy has cracked the 50 goal mark twice, and the 40 goal mark twice in his career (he hit 39 goals once too). Beyond that he's been a 30-35 goal scorer.....and to be honest I can't think of the last time a big name was traded at the deadline who was over 35 years old that went on to make an impact and won a Cup.

I have to admit that I feel pretty sorry for Iginla, he's been with the Flames for over a decade and that entire time all the talk was how good he was and how much better it would be if he had a real center to play with.....and no Calgary GM ever got that done.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby UWSaint » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:I see the Pens have picked up Douglas Murray from SJS...they're going all in this year

They are definitely all in.

2 second rounders is a lot of pay for Murray. He isn't nearly as good as some think he is, but he will be okay as a #4/5 -- and adding a 5th defensemen is a very important depth piece for a team looking to make a run. They are in much better position if there is an injury. It is a deal that makes sense for Pittsburgh given the potential they have to make a run and what their last pairing looked like before the trade, but few others would (or should) pay such a high price for a #4/5 one-dimesional soon-to-be-UFA. Moving now instead of waiting for the deadline is also a great move. More time to adjust.
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
CC Veteran

Postby Meds » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:28 pm

UWSaint wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:I see the Pens have picked up Douglas Murray from SJS...they're going all in this year

They are definitely all in.

2 second rounders is a lot of pay for Murray. He isn't nearly as good as some think he is, but he will be okay as a #4/5 -- and adding a 5th defensemen is a very important depth piece for a team looking to make a run. They are in much better position if there is an injury. It is a deal that makes sense for Pittsburgh given the potential they have to make a run and what their last pairing looked like before the trade, but few others would (or should) pay such a high price for a #4/5 one-dimesional soon-to-be-UFA. Moving now instead of waiting for the deadline is also a great move. More time to adjust.

Regardless of whether or not he is overrated by some, he immediately upgrades the physical presence in front of Fleury and Vokoun. I don't think any team is touch either Penguins goaltender in a trade this year, even if they were inclined to shop them.....so strengthening the defenders in front of the crease is the next best thing, especially with the rebound control Fleury seems to be having.

I will HOWL with laughter if they get bounced in the first round again.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Semin re-ups in Carolina. 5 years, $7M per.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Lancer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:Semin re-ups in Carolina. 5 years, $7M per.

Provided they make the playoffs, I wonder if Rutherford will have the same enthusiasm for Semin when the guy vanishes. I guess they don't have to worry about the slary cap floor...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:59 pm

But signing a good young centre in O'Reilly for $5 million per is bad.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:09 pm

RoyalDude wrote:

But signing a good young centre in O'Reilly for $5 million per is bad.

Not a fan of either deal. O'Reilly is doing well this year. Semin is a PPG guy.

I'm not a fan of lazy players making big bucks (Semin), or young guys getting big deals on potential future production (O'Reilly).

Mason Raymond had a 25 goal season and earned half the contract O'Reilly signed (for 18 goals).
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:Semin re-ups in Carolina

Somewhere there's a joke like that with a turkey baster in the punchline
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Carolina has been fully inSeminated....

Sorry...had to. :D
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Carolina blows huge wad for productive Semin.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Uncle dans leg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Chara sticks out a leg and splatters Semin in Carolinas crease
nobody forks with...the jesus
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 am

After getting a taste of Semin in Carolina, Jim Rutherford has swallowed hard.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hank » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:42 am

Winner by unanimous decision.... dbr!
Hank
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 pm

And they have placed Juicy Jokinen on waivers. A decent third line centre but with term.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby herb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:And they have placed Juicy Jokinen on waivers. A decent third line centre but with term.

Juicy has one more year at $3M after this one. A bit of a gamble, but he's a versatile player who can play centre and wing. He has put up 65 and 52 points in the past and 42 points last year. He has won 58% of faceoffs this season.

Could be a decent low risk gamble. We need help down the middle, and especially on the faceoff dot. $3M for Jokinen may mean bye bye to Higgens or Raymond though.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat