Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

$lacker wrote:
Waffle wrote:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/S ... U9JVHBEzbM

UPDATE:

@DarrenDreger
Source say the Pens and Stars have a trade in place for Brendan Morrow. However, he has yet to waive no trade clause.

Confirmed, he has waived.
J. Morrow and a 5th for B. Morrow and a 3rd..
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The only HW the Canucks need
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

I would assume that the Morrow deal will eliminate Pitt from the Iginla sweepstakes.
Boston will be upping their efforts me thinks!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
$lacker wrote:
Waffle wrote:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/S ... U9JVHBEzbM

UPDATE:

@DarrenDreger
Source say the Pens and Stars have a trade in place for Brendan Morrow. However, he has yet to waive no trade clause.

Confirmed, he has waived.
Big price to pay for Morrow, though getting the 3rd back from Dallas as well makes it pretty fair value. I'd say it's close to Gaunce and a 3rd from Van, or maybe Corrado and a 3rd. I still think Brenden is a hell of a player if he's got something left in the tank.

I would think the Bruins go hard after Iggy or another physical winger now. Great to see them lose out on a player.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Gotta think that Lindy Ruff is the next head coach in Tampa Bay.

Goaltending still a BIG issue for the Lightning. Regardless of injuries, Lindback hasn't gotten the job done for them.

Some of the talk out there is Ruff stepping in behind the bench and then a deal being worked out with Buffalo to bring Miller in. Personally I can't see Yzerman doing that, Miller has been very inconsistent since the Olympics in Vancouver, his moody personality lends itself to locker room problems, and that emotional roller coaster he rides certainly comes through on the ice. Who does Tampa have that Buffalo would take in exchange for Miller that Yzerman would be willing to part with.....I'm not really sure if there is a trade there. St. Louis? Buffalo doesn't need another small forward. Lecavalier is the team captain and I don't think he's going anywhere with that contract. Buffalo needs some experience up front that also brings some size and snarl and scoring skill to their lineup.

The other big trade idea is Luongo heading to Tampa Bay in exchange for St. Louis. This is another tough one as I don't think that Yzerman wants to break up the chemistry between Stamkos and St. Louis, to say nothing of asking Marty to waive his NMC and head to the other end of the continent. If that were to happen I think you would see it be a multi-player deal. The reality is that it's actually a good trade for both teams, Tampa gets an elite goaltender who can, and will, bail out their defensive screw-ups and give the team confidence. Louie LOVES being the guy who makes the difference and when you think what he did in Florida behind a team that was absolute shit.....put him behind a group of guys who can score the way the Bolts can and you have a recipe for some success. Vancouver gets a winger, in St. Louis, who can play with Kesler and hopefully set him up the same way he has setup Stamkos for the last few years. Second line scoring suddenly becomes a REAL threat in Vancouver. The down side is St. Louis' age, he's only got a couple of years left, and who knows how his small self will hold up in the Western Conference where size seems to play such a factor. That being said, he was great against Boston in the playoffs in 2011. The cap hits on these guys also pretty much cancel out. I think that if this is in the cards then Gillis needs to jump on it. Sure Lou will probably be playing at a high level for a few years after St. Louis retires, but if he can get that top 3 forward back and it buys him a few more years to build through the draft and other trades and signings, then he has to do it.

Who knows. It's all speculation at this point. All I know is that Luongo would be a MUCH BETTER acquisition for the Lightning than Ryan Miller would be.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Its Luongo for OV straight up. Haven't you heard? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

$lacker wrote:I would assume that the Morrow deal will eliminate Pitt from the Iginla sweepstakes.
It won't surprise me at all to see Iginla still in Calgary at the end of the season. I suspect that Feaster is going to want too much for him and the window of opportunity will close. Calgary's only hope for the future is that Feaster realizes that he doesn't have the pieces needed to compete and is willing to take draft picks in exchange for his aging stars. Iginla should get him, at the very least, a 1st and a couple of 2nd round picks, and they should take them and rebuild.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote:
$lacker wrote:I would assume that the Morrow deal will eliminate Pitt from the Iginla sweepstakes.
It won't surprise me at all to see Iginla still in Calgary at the end of the season. I suspect that Feaster is going to want too much for him and the window of opportunity will close. Calgary's only hope for the future is that Feaster realizes that he doesn't have the pieces needed to compete and is willing to take draft picks in exchange for his aging stars. Iginla should get him, at the very least, a 1st and a couple of 2nd round picks, and they should take them and rebuild.
Iginla is almost done. I wouldn't pay a 1st for him, let alone throw in more picks. He has lost almost all of his explosive quickness and if you're looking for the guy who can score at a 40 goal/year pace...that guy is long gone.
To be honest Morrow is no different. These teams are giving up way too much for players well past their top form but are somehow still able to bring back top level returns. Joe Morrow was a huge gift to Dallas and it only went down because they have 3 or 4 more young D-men in the pipe...although none as good as Joe.
Pitt overpayed huge and if the price for a quarter speed Iginla is a 1st, a prospect and a player then I can't see any sane GM paying that price.
I dunno...maybe our GM should be credited for the trades he didn't make rather than chastised for not trading the future.
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Pittsburg are much more of a contender than we are. They have all the pieces and Malkin will be back soon. I would mot be surprised to see them add one more at defence for depth. But they are a team that can win it all and are in a position to add that one or two extra pieces to take them over the top. They have assets they can afford to part with.

We are not in that position. We have to many wholes, injury concerns and lack of depth. We can't afford to gamble on a rental player and give up a piece of our future in a year where adding one more player won't take us over the top.

Boston is in the same position as Pittsburgh and so are the Hawks, maybe Anaheim. They are the true buyers, they are close, they are the real contenders this season.

I too don't want to see MG do what the Pens have done. Not this year anyway. I want to see him clear cap for next season, get some of his UFA's re-signed and make a Luongo deal that will fill some holes. If he can reshape the team with the luongo deal. Add a pick or two and unload some big contracts, maybe get a FA in the off season, someone who has been bought out perhaps. Then I think he will have done his job.

I want the cup as much as anyone but I don't see us getting out of the West this season. I want him to be smart about managing the assets we do have to trade and fill the holes moving forward. This is not the year to be a buyer MG, not unless it involves a much bigger deal that includes Luongo.

Now if he could get Ott for a reasonable price that would be a good moves as he is under contract next year and we can let Lappy walk. But I don't want him going after any soon to be UFA unless it involves moving Ballard or Booth who both may be bought out anyway. Buffalo needs defence. What about Ballard for Ott?
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:

Feaster also believes that with the Flames only 5 points out of 8th he still has a chance to make the playoffs, I think any decision to trade Iginla waits until April 3r and see where the Flames sit then. Lets hope they are 1 point out and think they can make it so they hold onto Iginla and becomes buyers. :mrgreen:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I see the Pens have picked up Douglas Murray from SJS...they're going all in this year
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I see the Pens have picked up Douglas Murray from SJS...they're going all in this year
Wow. The Pens are all in without giving up too much.

Are the Sharks flying the white flag?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hank wrote: Wow. The Pens are all in without giving up too much.

I wouldn't say the Pens did give up much, they lost their best defenseman prospect, two 2nd round picks and a 5th rounder for a couple possible rentals and a 3rd rounder.

However, when you have the best player on the planet on your team and he doesn't turn 30 for another 5 years you can afford to hand out some prospects and picks to stock up for a Cup run.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Aaronp18 wrote:

I wouldn't say the Pens did give up much, they lost their best defenseman prospect, two 2nd round picks and a 5th rounder for a couple possible rentals and a 3rd rounder.

However, when you have the best player on the planet on your team and he doesn't turn 30 for another 5 years you can afford to hand out some prospects and picks to stock up for a Cup run.
Uhmmm I wouldn't say that Joe Morrow was their best d-prospect. Hockey's future had him as their 4th best overall. Guys like Pouliot, Despres, Maatta and Harrington still stock their blueline.

They are definitely going for it, though. Having won 12 straight, I think they're right in thinking they have as good a shot as anyone to take home the prize. Especially considering the route out East should be easier than the West.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Aaronp18 wrote:

Exactly. They still got a young Letang back there, so they can afford a D prospect and some mid-picks.

They can still light it up but they're also tougher now with Morrow and Murray. All they need is a goalie.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Iginla is almost done. I wouldn't pay a 1st for him, let alone throw in more picks. He has lost almost all of his explosive quickness and if you're looking for the guy who can score at a 40 goal/year pace...that guy is long gone.
To be honest Morrow is no different. These teams are giving up way too much for players well past their top form but are somehow still able to bring back top level returns. Joe Morrow was a huge gift to Dallas and it only went down because they have 3 or 4 more young D-men in the pipe...although none as good as Joe.
Pitt overpayed huge and if the price for a quarter speed Iginla is a 1st, a prospect and a player then I can't see any sane GM paying that price.
I dunno...maybe our GM should be credited for the trades he didn't make rather than chastised for not trading the future.
You might be right. I just checked and Iggy has cracked the 50 goal mark twice, and the 40 goal mark twice in his career (he hit 39 goals once too). Beyond that he's been a 30-35 goal scorer.....and to be honest I can't think of the last time a big name was traded at the deadline who was over 35 years old that went on to make an impact and won a Cup.

I have to admit that I feel pretty sorry for Iginla, he's been with the Flames for over a decade and that entire time all the talk was how good he was and how much better it would be if he had a real center to play with.....and no Calgary GM ever got that done.